• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Toughness - Please explain!

Laman Stahros

First Post
Okay, two of my players just created new characters after thier origanal characters died, and they chose the Improved Toughness feat. I'm not sure I understand how this feat works:

From the Complete Warrior -
Benefit: You gain a number of hit points equal to your current Hit Dice. Each time you gain a HD (such as by gaining a level), you gain 1 additional hit point. if you lose a HD (such as by losing a level), you lose 1 hit point permanently.
How many extra hit points would an 11th level character get with this feat (assume the character got it as his 3rd level feat)?

Beckett

Explorer
The character has gained 11 hit points from the feat. He got 3 HP at 3rd level from it (1 for each hit die). Every level he's gained since then gives him an additional hit point (8 more, since he's gained 8 hit dice).

Or, to put another way, whenever you look at a character with improved toughness, he has gotten one bonus hit point for every hit die he has at that time.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Laman Stahros said:
I'm not sure I understand how this feat works:
It gives you extra hp equal to your HD. If your HD increase (or decrease, if you lose levels), so do the extra hp provided by the feat.

Scion

First Post
yes, remember it is an extra hp for every hd. It changes are your hd changes.

It could be that your 11th level guy has some racial hd, or part of that 11th level comes from some LA, or who knows what else. If he has 11hd then he gets 11 hp from the feat.

Remove ads