• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Toughness

Magic Rub

First Post
Can "Improved Toughness" from the complete warrior be taken multiple times like Toughness, or the feats that it is "replacing" (Dwarf toughness & Dragons toughness from MotW)?

Snowy

Explorer
Just read this and a slight sidetrack occured to me, I was intending ages ago to swap the normal effect of toughness for this as in get toughness get 1hp/hd, obviously it powers up toughness but would anyone consider this too over the top? I've already swapped dodge to be +1 dodge donus to everyone rather than one person.

shilsen

Adventurer
Considering how much damage both PCs and NPCs can do in 3e, having an extra 1 hp/lvl doesn't make enough of a difference to be a problem and it might be just enough to save a character. So I think it's a reasonable change. I've done the change to Dodge myself too, and it works great.

Eremite

Explorer
It also might not be unbalanced if IT was allowed to be taken multiple times provided Toughness was required as a prerequisite. "Wasting" a feat for this may balance it out.

I'm pleased to see that I'm not alone in making Dodge a +1 vs all attacks.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Here's what might concern me about it, and it is a rather niche situation, I readily admit (this could possibly affect me because my screenname character, Rystil Arden, is a Ghost Psion using Ghostwalk):

Hitpointo, Human Bbn1/Ftr8. Feats: Imp Toughx10. HP: 158 [176 in rage]

Possesso, Ghost (or otherwise having the ability to get inside someone's body) Psion9. HP: 54

Strategy: Possesso goes inside Hitpointo's body and blasts off maxed out psionics with abandon, without needing to worry about dying for a while. Meanwhile, Hitpointo fights defensively or something, although I suppose he could try to attack, but he won't be too useful at that with his feat selection.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Here's what might concern me about it, and it is a rather niche situation, I readily admit
Your concern only becomes a problem if a DM half-House Rules Toughness to have the effects of Improved Toughness, but retain the special property of being able to be taken more than once. As the rules stand, Toughness can be taken more than once, but is only 3hp, while Improved Toughness is 1hp/level, but cannot be taken multiple times. Just replace Toughness with the entire text of Improved Toughness (if you like), and this problem cannot occur.

Though actually, I'm liking the villain you've described. :]

Rystil Arden

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Your concern only becomes a problem if a DM half-House Rules Toughness to have the effects of Improved Toughness, but retain the special property of being able to be taken more than once. As the rules stand, Toughness can be taken more than once, but is only 3hp, while Improved Toughness is 1hp/level, but cannot be taken multiple times. Just replace Toughness with the entire text of Improved Toughness (if you like), and this problem cannot occur.

Though actually, I'm liking the villain you've described. :]
Yeah, its a pretty interesting setup, I think. Thanks ^^
This same setup (but without stacking Improved Toughness) is what keeps poor Rystil alive (else he'd lose in a fight with 3 housecats, despite being 3rd-level).

I was actually responding to the people who were suggesting exactly the Houserule you just mentioned (see Snowy above).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads