• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improvised Weapons and You

jonshaft

First Post
Does anyone else get the feeling that improvised weapons do a bit too much damage? Especially the two-handed variety. Should picking up a random object and hitting someone with it do more damage than a hand axe? Or a short sword? I understand that proficiency doesn't count here, but I think the damage for improvisation is a bit too high. Any comments, concerns, or complaints?

Ryujin

Legend
Given how downright important bonuses to hit are in the game, I think that it more than balances out against damage that seems a bit high. No complaints here.

Larrin

Entropic Good
If you pick up something thats heavy enough you need two hands to swing it, and you actually manage to hit with it, you can bet its going to hurt....i can definitlely see it doing more damage than a handaxe, at least in a fantasy world where clubs and handaxes deal the same amount of damage. Remember it has to be a certain weight before it deals that much damage, anything else gets only the 1 handed damage.

jonshaft

First Post
There aren't any problems in the game I just keep thinking that a guy picking up a broom shouldn't hurt someone as bad as someone wielding a longsword. Proficiency aside... Maybe I'm overanalyzing this. I guess it goes back to not thinking about hit points in the same way. Getting hit with a broom would be awfully demoralizing.

frankthedm

First Post
I just keep thinking that a guy picking up a broom shouldn't hurt someone as bad as someone wielding a longsword.
You are right. The guy picking up a broom shouldn't hurt someone as bad as someone wielding a longsword. The onus is on the DM to rule the mop handle is less dangerous than a well made quaterstaff*. To me a "two handed improvised weapon" is a small boulder or a statue limb.

*With one notable exception...
toxic20avengerc.jpg

Ryujin

Legend
The thing about improvised weapons is that they tend not to be very durable. That broom will likely snap in half the first time that someone gets whacked over the head with it. I remember in one game they listed liquor bottles as improvised melee weapons; rate of fire = 1, 50% chance of breaking, otherwise RoF = 2.

Larger weapons are more durable, but also more unwieldy. Their weight could easily impose an initiative penalty, if you wanted to disuade people from using them even more than a complete lack of proficiency already does.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The thing about improvised weapons is that they tend not to be very durable. That broom will likely snap in half the first time that someone gets whacked over the head with it. I remember in one game they listed liquor bottles as improvised melee weapons; rate of fire = 1, 50% chance of breaking, otherwise RoF = 2.

Larger weapons are more durable, but also more unwieldy. Their weight could easily impose an initiative penalty, if you wanted to disuade people from using them even more than a complete lack of proficiency already does.

lets see
lack of proficiency -2 to -3
lack of magical boost -1 to -6

I like the idea of disarming and improvised weapons but we are going to have to do something about that magic item addiction or let heroes sometimes fight enemies 3 to 6 levels beneath there own... you really shouldnt use that blade in friendly bar fight any way that is bad form.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads