• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"in 1st Edition...every DM...assumed that Corellon Larethian put out Gruumsh's eye"?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Sanguinemetaldawn said:
So hearing that makes me think "Is he pretending to be a 1st Ed. gamer when he clearly isn't? If so, why? Does really know the history of the game?"
Who does? With all the little bits scattered here and there among dozens of other books, I don't really think you can take someone to task for backstory stuff that was written (actually, accreted is a better word) over a period of 20 years and isn't relevant anymore anyway. I mean, I played through the entire 1e and 2e period and if someone started going on to me about Grumsh and Corelleon wossname as if I should be aware of them, I'd have to stop and ask them what in the world they were talking about since I never used those gods and never played in a campaign that did.
Sanguinemetaldawn said:
It sounds like they think 1st Ed. is classical history or something, like using a telegraph to send messages. They feel comfortable making these wildly inaccurate generalizations offhand, because 1st Ed. players, like dinosaurs and trilobites, don't exist anymore.
They might as well not, just like 1E Chivalry and Sorcery players or Villains and Viglantes players - while I'm sure there are some - might as well not exist.

Last edited:

orsal

LEW Judge
Kerrick said:
What bugs me is the assumption that "just about *every* campaign every DM ran assumed that Corellon Larethian put out Gruumsh's eye,

Yeah, it jumped out at me too. Back in the day when I was playing 1/e, I had never even heard of either Gruumsh or Corellon Larethian.

kenobi65

First Post
amethal said:
So where does it say that he did shoot out Gruumsh's eye?

My guess (I don't have my books, or my Dragon Archive CD-ROMs in front of me) would be in the counterpart elven articles, which were in issue #60 (burned into my mind, because it was the very first issue of Dragon that I bought).

Wolfspider

Explorer
Mark Hope said:
Yeah, in 1e Gruumsh had one cyclopean eye and there is the reference that Corellon unsuccesfully tried to shoot it out. My copy of Monster Mythology (loved that book, btw!) is in a box, so I can't check it, but it seems quite possible that the story was retconned or retold so that Gruumsh once had two eyes and lost one to The Big Fairy. It would be good if someone could check that book for a reference.

"Gruumsh has an abiding hatred for Corellen Larethian for defeating him in battle. Orc religion denies that Gruumsh lost an eye to Corellen, as their story of 'in the beginning...' demonstrates."
Monster Mythology, page 45

"Gruumsh's avatar appears to be a huge, battle-scared orc in full black plate, with one central eye."

The entry on Corellon Larethian says nothing about him/her shooting out one of Gruumsh's eyes, mentioning only that the race of elves was created during the epic battle between the two deities.

Sanguinemetaldawn

First Post
Anti-Sean said:
That statement, as fully quoted in your post, includes the qualifier 'just about'; it also specifically applies to the campaigns those DMs ran, not the beliefs of the DMs themselves. It is far less of a generalization than you make it out to be. That statement, as reflected in the title of this thread where you edited out said qualifiers, might be the 'window' or implication' you claim it to be; that statement as fully quoted, however, is not.

OK, so I guess I have to be pedantic now. The qualifier changes nothing, since the statement is completely wrong, and the full statement, including the qualifier, supports my assertion.

The accurate qualifier would be "none of the campaigns", not "just about all".

The origin of the Corellon-shot-out-his-eye/stole-it/somehow-took-an-eye and reduced him from two to one comes from Carl Sargeant, well into 2E.

From Deities and Demigods, for all of first edition, and part of second edition, cyclopean Gruumsh had one eye. That is all he ever had. He never had two eyes in the first place.

Then, in Dragon 62 (reprinted in Unearthed Arcana) Roger Moore adds the story of Corellon trying to shoot out his cyclopean eye, to make him completely blind, but failing.

Its not until Monster Mythology, with Carl Sargeant, that the story becomes "Corellon shot out one of his two eyes". However, in MM, Gruumsh's eye is still described and drawn as cyclopean, so apparently Gruumsh's skull shifts/bones reshape, etc. so he is still cyclopean after losing the eye, but he can't regenerate it for some reason. Like I said, lame, but he doesn't run my campaign.

But the original statement by the 4E designer is completely wrong. So, the statement, "even back in 1st Edition, just about *every* campaign every DM ran assumed that Corellon Larethian put out Gruumsh's eye" is almost completely wrong.

Now, the designer is citing this to make a blanket statement about a shared fundamental basis for Dungeons and Dragons campaigns. His assertion is that THE single shared basis, even if not accepted by every DM, was that "Corellon Larethian put out Gruumsh's eye".

THAT assertion, from full context, it is COMPLETELY wrong. For all of first edition, the shared basis was NEVER that Corellon shot out/took/whatever one of Grummsh's two eyes. For all of first edition, the shared basis for D&D campaigns was: Gruumsh only had one eye, ever.

Thus, the designer's statement is wrong, it doesn't matter how many qualifiers are attached. Unless the qualifier is "no campaigns assumed this, because nothing published during all of first edition ever supported or assumed this". But thats not a qualifier. Its a complete sentence.

Now, is the designer right that there was a shared basis for almost all D&D campaigns? Sure, but I never asserted otherwise.

Now, who really cares? Honestly? Its just an inconsistent canon about a fake mythology, and the designer got it wrong/confused/whatever. Plenty of 1st edition gamers wouldn't have cared enough to read about Gruumsh (obviously I am not in that group).

The error is insignificant, of itself.

The thing is, why did he choose to cite something that was wrong? If he was a 1st edition player, and I have no evidence that he wasn't (and I sure don't care enough to try to prove it one way or the other), then why not just cite something from first edition that he did know? Say..."almost all campaigns were based on the idea that Iuz and Cuthbert hated each other".

Not too hard, right?

And thats the thing, beyond the insignificance of the error. The error itself says, "I feel comfortable making flat out wrong statements about 1st Ed., because...who even cares about first edition. Its forgotten, irrelevant. I can get stuff totally wrong about 1st Ed. because no-one even cares."

Its like...watching someone step on a dead animal with total nonchalance, as if they were walking on normal pavement. Thats what they think of 1E AD&D.

Now thats fine.
The guys at WotC can make the game whatever they feel like, just like Carl Sargeant did Gruumsh. They are getting paid by Wotbro, Wotcbro is letting them do it, and I can't change that. They can't tell me what to play, or how to play either, so its all fine.

But as someone who can look right over at his shelf at his first edition books, as a player looking for a first edition game, and someone considering running a first edition game (and bringing in some scenarios from other editions) I should be one of their potential customers. I could be described as a "unlikely to adopt core 4E rules, but likely to buy some supplements or expansions for 4E D&D that can be used in other D&D campaigns. And maybe look at the SRD/core to cherry pick some house rules from."

Instead, this statement, combined with many changes, like dropping the wheel cosmology, tells me I could be described as "irrelevant". Wotbro has their own business, and how they run it is ultimately just that: their business.

I was just a bit surprised to realize I have been discarded as a customer so coolly.

Message received and understood. Over and out.

kenobi65

First Post
Sanguinemetaldawn said:
The thing is, why did he choose to cite something that was wrong? If he was a 1st edition player, and I have no evidence that he wasn't (and I sure don't care enough to try to prove it one way or the other), then why not just cite something from first edition that he did know?

I'd have to guess that he thought he was correct, and he didn't go back and research his point as he wrote the article. As you can see by the posts here, there's more than one 1E veteran who thought the exact same thing.

Sanguinemetaldawn said:
And thats the thing, beyond the insignificance of the error. The error itself says, "I feel comfortable making flat out wrong statements about 1st Ed., because...who even cares about first edition. Its forgotten, irrelevant. I can get stuff totally wrong about 1st Ed. because no-one even cares."

I feel like you're taking offense where there was none intended. Perhaps I'm wrong, but this really feels like a mountain being made out of a molehill.

Sanguinemetaldawn said:
As stated above, I think way more is being made about this than was intended. That was a very long (and melodramatic) post for something you consider to be a minor error.

Sanguinemetaldawn

First Post
Wolfspider said:
"Gruumsh has an abiding hatred for Corellen Larethian for defeating him in battle. Orc religion denies that Gruumsh lost an eye to Corellen, as their story of 'in the beginning...' demonstrates."

...snip...

The entry on Corellon Larethian says nothing about him/her shooting out one of Gruumsh's eyes, mentioning only that the race of elves was created during the epic battle between the two deities.

Yeah, you have it right.
The thing is, it is first stated here as a negative...being denied by the orcs. Even the idea of Gruumsh having lost an eye to Corellon is raised as a possibility here for the first time.

Later, this is syncretized with the Dragon 62 article to this:

"In a past time, Gruumsh had two eyes but he lost one in a fight with the chief elven god Corellon Larethian. Gruumsh meant to paralyze Corellon with his magical spear...Corellon ended the fight by putting out Gruumsh's left eye, which is how Gruumsh earned his moniker "One-Eye." Some orcish clerics deny this tale, dismissing it as elven propaganda, and claim that Gruumsh always had one eye."

wiki Gruumsh

This is essentially Gruumsh's narrative in the 3E Deities and Demigods.

But yeah, thanks for raising that point; it reinforces my argument further.

Sanguinemetaldawn

First Post
Fifth Element said:
That was a very long (and melodramatic) post for something you consider to be a minor error.

First, apparently the poster needed needed the detail to understand the point.

Second this is not about an error, as I already said repeatly. It is about an attitude, revealed by the error. As for melodrama, read whatever you want into it. And you obviously care enough to post yourself.

Kenobi: Its not about being offended. I wouldn't be offended if they named me personally and tried. I'd find that flat out funny. No, its about being written off as a customer. I am not very happy about that, since in the past I liked and bought some WotC stuff. That seems unlikely now.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
kenobi65 said:
I feel like you're taking offense where there was none intended.

Agreed. There seem to be many motives and words attributed to Mr. Baker here that didn't actually come out of his mouth (or that weren't actually typed by his hands).

Remove ads