• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In case you didn't know: The WotC community is FREE

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
WotC has boards? Huh. Learn something new everyday. The only reason I go to the WotC site to is browse through the 3.0/3.5 archives.

Funny you say that, because - and I don't remember where - I thought WotC was going to restore the forum archives and threads that were lost in the switch.

Waiting~

pascale

First Post
Discussion. critique. There are reasons to post up ideas for scrutiny.

I may also want to post a rule that i came up with for whatever reason and it is part of a larger collection of rules that I wish to publish and sell. I still wouldn't want anyone redistributing that for profit or not with out my concent. But I would find value in discussing it - getting ideas to improve it etc.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Funny you say that, because - and I don't remember where - I thought WotC was going to restore the forum archives and threads that were lost in the switch.

Waiting~

They are working on it. It is somewhat down the list of things I imagine (getting a full BBCode suite up and running is pretty high up on the list), but it is on their radar.

TwinBahamut

First Post
As far as I am aware, WotC has all kinds of internal policies regarding fan-made material that are far more fair to fan works than people tend to give them credit for. For example, I am fairly certain that various Magic: The Gathering designers are forbidden from looking at various parts of the Magic forums where people put up their own content, and that even if you send an idea to a D&D designer in the mail he will be forbidden from reading it due to company policy. The WotC designers and developers are being paid to create their own ideas, and I think even their own management would frown on them stealing ideas from other people.

Honestly, unless someone can make a solid claim about WotC taking someone's idea and using it in one of their products, then I think this is all just paranoia. I know I have seen tons of great original material on those boards that has not been stolen, so there is plenty of reason to not be afraid.

Also, what mudbunny said is quite correct. Honestly, for something that I wouldn't want to publish, what is said in the terms of service doesn't matter in the slightest. For stuff that I would want to publish, I wouldn't post anywhere, certainly not a forum, and without a doubt that includes ENWorld just as much as the WotC boards. Actually, the prevalence of third party publishers on these boards probably makes them an even worse place than the WotC boards to post something you think is publishable.

jeffh

Adventurer
Free and worth every penny. The other night it took me four tries to get a very simple post to appear, and when it did it was mangled. Right now I can't get to them at all. And of course, the time frames given for restoring all the features lost in the switchover have borne about the same relationship to the actual restoration of those features as those given for rolling out DDI features. I come back every so often, mostly answering Magic rules questions, hoping things will have gotten better, and they never do.

I may also want to post a rule that i came up with for whatever reason and it is part of a larger collection of rules that I wish to publish and sell. I still wouldn't want anyone redistributing that for profit or not with out my concent. But I would find value in discussing it - getting ideas to improve it etc.
If you are posting something on a forum, you already published it, essentially. People can read and use it. Maybe they won't sell it, but maybe they will. "Hey, that idea about jousting rules is cool. Let me reword that a little and publish it as part of my Medieval Duels & Jousts book!".

WotC is just covering its ass that you can't even try to go against them, because they can just point to the agreement. Though usually they'll probably cover their ass against people that merely believe they were copied from.

So, why in the name of the Nine Hells they chose such an awful name as "Gleemax"? Is there a story behind it's name?

Gleemax! It brings maximum Glee!

Anyway, despite all the problems the WOTC boards have, they can still attract tons of people. In terms of blogging, WOTC has about four times the blog posts Enworld has even though Enworld has had blogging twelve months before WOTC even had blogging. WOTC turns out blog posts 15 times faster then Enworld can! That's a lot!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads