In contrast to the GSL, Ryan Dancey on OGL/D20 in WotC archives

Also, if reading these forums give any indicaiton; one system can never please everyone. We're gonna need like, 7 unique HP systems to make everyone happy. And like 5 different versions of every spell. And like thousands of feats and classes.

It's gonna have to be like a giant buffet of RPG options.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Also, if reading these forums give any indicaiton; one system can never please everyone. We're gonna need like, 7 unique HP systems to make everyone happy. And like 5 different versions of every spell. And like thousands of feats and classes.

It's gonna have to be like a giant buffet of RPG options.

Absolutely. If you develop an e-mail button for a web browser, that's it. There's no need (or very minimal need) for 10 more buttons that deliver e-mail using different internal algorithms. But if you develop a system to determine the DC of common tasks for skill checks in an RPG, you can pretty much guarantee that people will want 10 more systems to account for differing tastes as to how difficult common tasks are, how hard it is to calculate the DC, and how realistic the DCs are. That leads to a bloat of system rules alternatives, which exacerbates the problem of group vs. individual adoption of the rules.

There's an interesting opposition between the desire to have many rules variants to account for different tastes, and the desire to have very few rules variants to encourage group adoption.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Also, if reading these forums give any indicaiton; one system can never please everyone.
Particularly if you note how many people consider "tinkering" to be part of the fun. :) Those people will never be satisfied with someone else's system, by the pure fact that it was done by someone else.

Cheers, -- N

Jackelope King

First Post
I'm glad this thread has been raised from the dead as well. Very interesting stuff! I'm actually trying to work towards something like this myself with a few folks more web-development-savvy than myself.

We're currently discussing it here (on Dragon Avenue.

Remove ads