D&D 5E In Depth Critique of Part 3 of Basic Rules

Remathilis

Legend
One issue that's sometimes hard for us long-time D&Ders to see /is/ that D&D magic does tend to do far more than magic tends to do in the actual genre. That's why it sometimes comes off more as a 'sufficiently advanced technology,' because it's so ubiquitous and dependable and used to solve every possible problem.

Which brings me back to the notion of resource limitation. The biggest problem with 3e era magic was its ease of availability. When you have things like wands, scrolls, potions and spell-slots increased by caster-stat, it makes getting the available spells when-you-need-them dead simple. Batman Wizards weren't godlike because they had 30 spells in their spellbook, they were godlike because they had scrolls of those 30 spells made for cp on the gp and readied them at a moment's notice. Easy-Healing came from wands of CLW, not spontaneous casting. They took the obvious decision point ("fireball or fly") and made it null ("scroll of fly, wand of fireball").

4e /is/ a very good game, well-balanced, clear, playable, fun, etc. So, that is good advice, and I'll go ahead and second it - though I'll also note it's no longer being supported, so may not be a viable solution in the longer term. There are also a /lot/ of other games out there that one could look into. The ready alternative doesn't alleviate the concerns expressed, however.

I did not recommend 4e out of spite nor ignorance; the very things I quote about it and its magic system are exactly the things that a.) the OP seems to want and b.) exactly why I disliked it when playing it. There is a great system there, but its not the system I want. The system I want is very close to what 5e promises to provide.

But, while 5e is still repeating some rather old D&D mistakes, it has also made some progress. Scaling spells by slot level instead of character level, is a step forward (even if scaling save DCs by proficiency instead of slot level and combining Vancian known-spells/prep with Spontaneous casting slots are two steps back). Giving the fighter the kind of multiple attacks that made it so broken in 2e (and giving the rogue similar DPR potential) could be seen as trying to balance that, in an extreme, balance-of-imbalances way.

So you can't consider 5e magic in a vacuum, nor can you deny that there have been improvements made relative to 2e & 3e.

No, which is why so many of the OPs complaints sounded like old wars long ago fought. People wanted magic missile to auto-hit so much even WotC caved and rewrote in 4e to auto-hit. To lament that 5e's magic missile is an auto-hit is like wanting the sun to rise in the south because you bought a house with an east-facing bedroom window!

Again, I think it's more a perceived danger of magic doing /everything/ useful, better than non-magical alternatives, too much of the time (if not functionally all the time).

I've worried many a times about this too; especially as a long-time thief/rogue player who watched magic eat his lunch on more than one occasion. Still, it seems that thanks to the rare/limited nature of magic items, the limitations of magic (especially the limits on spell slots being lower) seems to set a check on magic's power.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Maybe at your table. I have 3 female and 3 male players at my table. The way to get more female players into D&D is for male players of D&D to go out and get more female friends. :)
Really, guy gamers could do a /lot/ more to show girl gamers respect & acceptance. My wife sits down to play, and guys half her age start telling her what spells to use and which dice to roll. No one /ever/ does that to me.

4E has virtually no lethality problem. For your theory to be correct, 4E should have flooded D&D with a lot of female players.
Around here it kinda did (though, really, LARPS had already started the trend in the 90s). My 3.x group: 1 out of 8. Current group at the FLGS: 9 out of ~30.

4e home campaign I'm in: 3 out of 6 (including the DM).

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Which brings me back to the notion of resource limitation. The biggest problem with 3e era magic was its ease of availability. When you have things like wands, scrolls, potions and spell-slots increased by caster-stat, it makes getting the available spells when-you-need-them dead simple.
Of course. When it came to low-level spells, wands made them crazy-cheap, for instance.

But, PC casters /also/ made spells highly available, because all they have to do is get up in the morning, and they have /more/ spells. Systematic casting during downtime, for instance. If Continual Flame didn't have a slightly costly material component, for instance, a 3rd level wizard spending a month in town could give the whole place magical streetlights. In a wealthy town, in a world where NPC wizards are no less common than PC wizards, there's little reason /not/ to have magical streetlights (even old-school Continual Light cast straight into the air - no worries that anyone'll steal it), wizard-locked vaults, a clerical CDC using Divination and Cure Disease to nip plagues in the bud, etc, etc...

Batman Wizards weren't godlike because they had 30 spells in their spellbook, they were godlike because they had scrolls of those 30 spells made for cp on the gp and readied them at a moment's notice
To be fair: Half price at the cost of exp.

They took the obvious decision point ("fireball or fly") and made it null ("scroll of fly, wand of fireball").
Less practical until quite high level, those got pricey.

I've worried many a times about this too; especially as a long-time thief/rogue player who watched magic eat his lunch on more than one occasion. Still, it seems that thanks to the rare/limited nature of magic items, the limitations of magic (especially the limits on spell slots being lower) seems to set a check on magic's power.
Rare/limited magic items actually make caster spell resources /more/ important. And, if "magic is rare" in the world, that just means that PC casters will have an easier time using magic to solve problems, since few enemies are going to be prepared for magic, or have magical counter-measures available. In a magic-rich world, you might have guards trained to keep all doors barred and watched at all times, and pass through them quickly to avoid invisible spies trying to 'piggy back' into a restricted area - and have wards to prevent teleportation, and not depend on mere walls, at all, but have the whole place secured in 3 dimensions. In a low-magic world, as soon as you have flight or invisibility, you can likely breach most defenses casually.

Fewer slots per day? Sure. Then again, there are at-will cantrips reducing the necessity of spending slots in combat, and rituals so you don't need to expend slots for out-of-combat utility. So, fewer slots, but less need to expend them while still using magic to solve our problems.

Pallidore

Explorer
I hate it when I’m pressed for time, because something invariably slips or trips, but here goes:

Pem: NPC wizards are indeed dangerous without the DM keen-moderation you mention. Relatively new DMs won’t have this awareness level, and, given the rapid rise through the levels of characters in 5E, may not have the time and opportunity to develop it fast enough. And that, unfortunately, would appear to showcase insufficient design consideration.

Rem:

I am not opposed to magic solving some problems. But when it does so repeatedly, predictably, and routinely, it detracts from the wonder of its name. When I look at enduring classics of fantasy, I rarely see magical domination. Gandalf and his magical power didn’t dominate the Lord of the Rings saga. Merlin didn’t dominate the Arthurian legend. Thoth-Amon didn’t dominate Hyboria. It seemed to me that they intermittently used powerful magic, and found other ways (and cooperation) to overcome a number of challenges.

If WotC had come out with a 5E that said it merely wanted to run PCs through adventure paths to 20th level, then repeat, and mentioned little to nothing about immersion, I would have had little to criticize, because plausibility, lethality, and other concerns would have meant a lot less. But when they emphasized immersion, they highlighted highly contradictory aspects that moved me to respond.

4E suffered from a good deal as well. Too much was too heavily nerfed and diluted, understandable as a reaction to 3E excess and identification of known problems, but making such a game and trying to “get back to the farm when they’ve seen the bright lights of the city,” was swimming up the proverbial waterfall. That the 4E designers did not adequately explain and get buy-in on the reasons for their design didn’t help matters (although, in fairness to them, much of the 3E player crowd was quite parochial and narrowly focused and presumably not in a mood to listen). Nerfing and diluting cannot be the answer to every problem. Sometimes other methods must be found, whether they be changes in frequency, reliability, or renewability, or the exaction of other costs—not just financial, but physical, mental, social, political, spiritual, etc., or even other methods entirely.

I do agree with you that reduced numbers of slots has helped things, and made resource management a better consideration in 5E than it was 3E. I do recognize the improvements made in 5E, and said as much in my treatise. Far less (at least so far) is problematic in it than was problematic in 3E, and I’m not concerned about myself or my group vis a vis 5E—we’ll play, we’ll do well, we’ll have fun.

It’s the transformation from newbies to enthusiastic, dedicated, believers in D&D that seems fraught with quite difficult terrain. I’m just concerned that even with the improvements, it will fail to achieve that transformation in 5E. There’s only so many times that D&D can disappoint newbies in sufficient numbers before it paves the road to its own extinction.

I understand the probable differences in our playing preferences. However, I’m still trying to come to the understanding of why my specific concerns will be of no importance in 5E playability, viability, immersion, campaign length and continuance, etc., as well as the attracting and the keeping of new players and DMs. For instance, you say the limits of spell slots being lower will adequately keep things in check, but wouldn’t it be just as plausible that it just means the party rests more frequently so the casters can get their slots back?

I have played in and enjoyed every edition of D&D, from the original to 4E. I have DM’d in every edition from 1E to 4E, many with long-running characters, including two 20th level 3E campaigns over many years. 3E and Pathfinder were/are wondrous innovations that were great for players, with fun and exciting options and always something to look forward to. The splitting headache they gave DMs is another matter. Many gave up “management,” and just ran modules, adventure paths, and campaign arcs that scripted things through.

Which only magnifies the DM-scarcity problem. Players can want a lot, but with fewer and fewer DMs able to manage, things often de-evolve to short “I’ll run for a few weeks” attempts, or even to one-shots. The game experience changes, which is fine if that’s what players really want (assuming the DM is really okay with it—after all, he or she needs to have fun too), but can just as easily become an avenue for attention deficit, disaffection, disinterest, and abandonment.

I did not casually review the spells. I gave each careful consideration. What spells did I leave off the problematic list that you feel fit the same criteria as one on it, and why?

5E Lightning bolt and 5E fireball are poorly comparable in terms of effect. While both are third level, one relies on lucky circumstance to catch more than a target or two, while the other will regularly catch multiples, and thus would seem to be poorly balanced against each other as well. That both are undiscriminating between friend and foe is not much of power limiter given probable use.

Maybe Magic Missile won’t turn out to be quite so problematic in play, and with the reduced number of slots, maybe not so SOP and not so mechanical and unremarkable. As I said, all this is a first look, and perhaps game play will change my mind.

You mentioned Detect Magic. Can you point out some specific concerns I have that you feel are not valid or meaningful, and why you feel that way? By its certainty, duration, mobility, and repeatability, it would seem to become a mechanical and unremarkable function that takes away a lot of the specialness concerning magic discovery.

Wall of Stone, except for the permanency aspect, was a pretty minor problematic, but maybe it did come across as whiny. Will have to think some more on that one!

T.V.:

“Conveying danger mechanically can be a bit of a challenge. If you're not invested in a character, you're not too fearful for it. If you are, you may be /too/ fearful for it to have it behave heroically. If you blow through a few characters, you may be blasé about character death, which also saps the sense of danger. It's a delicate thing, and I'm not /sure/ lethality in the system helps that much, but I can see how it /might/. Say you roll up your first D&D character and it dies, you think 'wow this game is deadly.' Then you roll up your second character, play it a little more cautiously, get a little luck, and it survives to 2nd or 3rd or 5th or whenever it becomes pretty safe in the ed in question. By 9th or so, even if it dies, it can be resurrected. So, you're now in basically no danger of lasting death, but you have that first impression of 'this game is deadly.' Of course, your first impression could also be 'this game sucks' and you never play it again. :shrug”

I think all of those are probably operative. More current market research might give us a better picture of which predominates, but until that’s released, we are left to our experiences and observations—those in-game, in-society, and in-life. Something else that has occurred to me: the focus on encounter “winning,” encounter level appropriateness, etc., has probably worked against the danger sentiment. Not enough parties anymore have had to, or certainly developed an appreciation for, the virtue and necessity of avoiding or running away by being outclassed by NPCs/monsters, and maybe coming back another day (or year). :)

Talking this out, it occurs to me that perhaps WotC could have recommended to new players to use a pre-gen for the first session or two (even a “trial” session) until they have an appreciation for how things work. The high mortality (higher than usual, even) of that could perhaps set, for the game, the mind-framing that you are postulating. In fact, if I recall Mike Mearls’ L&L columns correctly, something similar to this was tossed around for a short period. Of course, the pre-gen might work counter to what is desired, and, with not enough investment in the character, they don’t take its demise seriously enough to make an impression, or even that the lack of investment means they don’t find things interesting enough at all.

Without conducting an exit interview/survey of your female playtester, I suppose it would be hard to say what drove her mixed behaviors. :)

It is entirely possible, perhaps probable, that the vast majority of female players D&D attracts at present, with some ready exceptions, are themselves not necessarily representative of the general female populace, and maybe are either more readily forgiving of adversity and just easy going, or deeply embedded in gamer and fantasy culture—and either of those are less likely to be discouraged or alienated by high character mortality. It is my assertion that the new immersive aspects of 5E may attract more newbie females, but that, without some moderation of the lethality, will repel many of those same newbies.

I understand the reasoning behind 5E Encounters’ raise dead automatic, but it would seem this would, in the name of preserving carefully crafted and fleshed out characters, also detract from the immersion by making the setting or “world” seem either contradictory or implausible and thereby busting suspension of disbelief. One would still have the weekly “encounters” of combat, social interaction or exploration, but it would take on characteristics of disconnected mental exercises. D&D has seemed to thrive when players and DMs recount experiences that, regardless of the specifics, have shown their immersion in the setting.

KD:

Not sure either one of our tables are particularly indicative of anything, but I too have a 50% mix at present. I’ve also had up to 80% female prevalence before, as well as, of course, up to 100% male prevalence.

I would assert that 4E was a poor test of my postulation, for although it might have mechanically tilted against lethality, it failed nearly utterly in immersion (a failure which may have had something to do with the only modest uptick in female players). IMO, one of the reasons Paizo did so well was not just that it provided a haven for the 3.5 crowd, but that it provided loads of rich, immersive detail. Being used to high mortality already, the 3.5 crowd was of course not dissuaded by that high mortality, and since Paizo’s immersive richness—not to mention its campaign arcs—shone in comparison to WotC’s, Pathfinder had, despite its complexity, a blossom period. WotC’s 4E products parceled too much into barely connected tactics showcases, and then made it worse with the disjointedness of the Points of Light world (which was not an intrinsically flawed concept, and one that could have put the spotlight on the heroes, but it left DM’s too unmoored, and the players too as a consequence). This disparity was only magnified by the rules and logic inconsistencies in many of the adventure products, not to mention the occasional just bad writing, and all these seemed to leave too many gaming groups flat.

All:
Our experiences are our experiences, but I would note for all of you that before you even posted anything, it was likely you were at least a cut above the average D&Der because you were interested enough to join a gaming site, and then even keener by going to a forum. And then displayed the characteristics of the following, and as you moved down the list, the probability of you being further and further exceptional increased:

1. You joined not just a forum, but a non-WotC forum (increasing chances of wider and more independent thought).
2. You posted (many just lurk).
3. You posted a lot (many do just a little).
4. You posted multiple times in a single thread (many don’t focus or engage).
5. You attracted the interest (and posting) of other exceptionals like yourselves.
6. You delved deep into the facets of the game.
7. You became a member of a forum/this forum for a long, sometimes very long, period of time.
8. The fellow players/DMs you attracted are likely to be above average.
9. Your table experiences are thus likely to be above average.

My concern has been, and is, not for the exceptionals like yourselves. My concern is for John and Jane Newbie and their friends, who, unless they are lucky enough to be at a gaming table with an exceptional or two, have only the game as presented to their eyes to guide them.

Remathilis

Legend
I am not opposed to magic solving some problems. But when it does so repeatedly, predictably, and routinely, it detracts from the wonder of its name. When I look at enduring classics of fantasy, I rarely see magical domination. Gandalf and his magical power didn’t dominate the Lord of the Rings saga. Merlin didn’t dominate the Arthurian legend. Thoth-Amon didn’t dominate Hyboria. It seemed to me that they intermittently used powerful magic, and found other ways (and cooperation) to overcome a number of challenges.

If WotC had come out with a 5E that said it merely wanted to run PCs through adventure paths to 20th level, then repeat, and mentioned little to nothing about immersion, I would have had little to criticize, because plausibility, lethality, and other concerns would have meant a lot less. But when they emphasized immersion, they highlighted highly contradictory aspects that moved me to respond.

For starters, citing books rarely wins the day. I can turn around and cite Harry Potter as a prime example of caster supremacy, follow it up with Dying Earth, and then top it off with Star Wars to give great examples of magical characters reigning supreme in a world filled with muggles/mundanes. The reason Gandalf doesn't magic away the one ring is plot contrivance; he might not be powerful enough "to melt snow" but he sure can kill a balrog by his damned self!

And D&D has usually focused on "adventure first" when doing world-building. I talk more about that below.

4E suffered from a good deal as well. Too much was too heavily nerfed and diluted, understandable as a reaction to 3E excess and identification of known problems, but making such a game and trying to “get back to the farm when they’ve seen the bright lights of the city,” was swimming up the proverbial waterfall. That the 4E designers did not adequately explain and get buy-in on the reasons for their design didn’t help matters (although, in fairness to them, much of the 3E player crowd was quite parochial and narrowly focused and presumably not in a mood to listen). Nerfing and diluting cannot be the answer to every problem. Sometimes other methods must be found, whether they be changes in frequency, reliability, or renewability, or the exaction of other costs—not just financial, but physical, mental, social, political, spiritual, etc., or even other methods entirely.

I can't speak completely objectively when it comes to 4e; to me it killed far too much of what makes D&D magic what it is. I suggested it since many of your criticisms seemed right in line with "power level" or "cost", something 4e tried to fix.

More importantly though, 4e decided to fix magic by discarding D&D's magic system for something entirely new. Yeah, seeds of it were planted in 3.5, but 4e rebuilt D&Ds magic from the ground up. Spell slots? Gone. Spell levels? Gone. Caster Level? Gone. Spells refresh only on 8 hour sleeps? Gone. Trading utility for attack magic? Gone. Easy casting of supplemental magic (IE non-combat spells like teleport or divinations)? Gone. I can go on, but I don't think I need to.

You know what else was gone? D&D magic. I think more than anything short of martial dailies, this complete and utter discarding of D&D's magic system was what struck people on a visceral level to proclaim it "Not D&D". When you change the format radically, some people react because they feel its an abandonment of what they know and love.

What you are proposing (by way of innuendo) is that D&D magic needs some further revision to "fix" the parts that are still a problem. In essence, just as we get something once again resembling classic D&D magic, we already look to replacing it with a new, balanced system that takes into account various different costs and resources. In essence, scrap the neo-Vancian system and start with another fresh attempt at D&D magic.

What makes you think that it will be any more successful than 4e's attempt?

I do agree with you that reduced numbers of slots has helped things, and made resource management a better consideration in 5E than it was 3E. I do recognize the improvements made in 5E, and said as much in my treatise. Far less (at least so far) is problematic in it than was problematic in 3E, and I’m not concerned about myself or my group vis a vis 5E—we’ll play, we’ll do well, we’ll have fun.

Good, the point is too have fun!

It’s the transformation from newbies to enthusiastic, dedicated, believers in D&D that seems fraught with quite difficult terrain. I’m just concerned that even with the improvements, it will fail to achieve that transformation in 5E. There’s only so many times that D&D can disappoint newbies in sufficient numbers before it paves the road to its own extinction.

I understand the probable differences in our playing preferences. However, I’m still trying to come to the understanding of why my specific concerns will be of no importance in 5E playability, viability, immersion, campaign length and continuance, etc., as well as the attracting and the keeping of new players and DMs. For instance, you say the limits of spell slots being lower will adequately keep things in check, but wouldn’t it be just as plausible that it just means the party rests more frequently so the casters can get their slots back?

Call me cynical, but I just don't worry about the kids anymore. New players will find it and play it because it does something no video-game, novel, or TV/movie can; complete freedom. That drug, once tasted, is hard to quit. A group who falls into the notion of a world they can create, destroy, and create again with characters they design and quests they thought up will learn the rules and adapt just to keep that fire going. Yeah, D&D loses players every year to quicker and easier fixes, but the true fans will play, screw something up, and learn. You can't kid-proof the game and expect complete freedom. The trade off for having the right tools for the job is that some of them have sharp edges; a player will learn not to stab themselves with the sharp things if it means they get to keep the tools. I'd rather build a minority of dedicated players than a majority of casuals.

I have played in and enjoyed every edition of D&D, from the original to 4E. I have DM’d in every edition from 1E to 4E, many with long-running characters, including two 20th level 3E campaigns over many years. 3E and Pathfinder were/are wondrous innovations that were great for players, with fun and exciting options and always something to look forward to. The splitting headache they gave DMs is another matter. Many gave up “management,” and just ran modules, adventure paths, and campaign arcs that scripted things through.

The turn from 3e/4e levels of complexity toward 5e's "K.I.S.S." model might be the factor here; I'm a Pathfinder GM right now and game prep is brutal unless I take short-cuts. I hope 5e's systems for monsters, quick combats, and rare magic items mixes well.

IWhich only magnifies the DM-scarcity problem. Players can want a lot, but with fewer and fewer DMs able to manage, things often de-evolve to short “I’ll run for a few weeks” attempts, or even to one-shots. The game experience changes, which is fine if that’s what players really want (assuming the DM is really okay with it—after all, he or she needs to have fun too), but can just as easily become an avenue for attention deficit, disaffection, disinterest, and abandonment.

A good toolbox fixes this. I'm just not sure some of the problems you cite are the rationale for DM burnout.

I did not casually review the spells. I gave each careful consideration. What spells did I leave off the problematic list that you feel fit the same criteria as one on it, and why?

5E Lightning bolt and 5E fireball are poorly comparable in terms of effect. While both are third level, one relies on lucky circumstance to catch more than a target or two, while the other will regularly catch multiples, and thus would seem to be poorly balanced against each other as well. That both are undiscriminating between friend and foe is not much of power limiter given probable use.

Maybe Magic Missile won’t turn out to be quite so problematic in play, and with the reduced number of slots, maybe not so SOP and not so mechanical and unremarkable. As I said, all this is a first look, and perhaps game play will change my mind.

You mentioned Detect Magic. Can you point out some specific concerns I have that you feel are not valid or meaningful, and why you feel that way? By its certainty, duration, mobility, and repeatability, it would seem to become a mechanical and unremarkable function that takes away a lot of the specialness concerning magic discovery.

Wall of Stone, except for the permanency aspect, was a pretty minor problematic, but maybe it did come across as whiny. Will have to think some more on that one!

It seemed like many spells fell into predictable patterns during your analysis.

Area of Effect spells were potent due to large damage over a wide area and the potential of friendly fire. The former part IS the point of direct damage; to harm a large group quickly. 3e direct damage was poor due to monster/PC hp inflation and the presence of Save or die/suck. It seems they've tried to make direct damage viable again.

Divination magic is problematic since the PCs can learn stuff. Well, yeah. D&D has never worked for murder mysteries. Detect Magic has always been a good tool to weeding out magical traps, items, and effects (and thankfully, its not at-will like Pathfinder!). Detect Magic has some natural limitations (materials, range) but more importantly, why is it bad for the PCs to scan for a magical item on a fallen foe or to see if the hallway has a teleport trigger? It seems the alternative is to force a lot of "gotcha!" rolls (You didn't roll arcana on his belt pouch, so you missed his bag of infinite components bwahahaha!)

Likewise, I loathe the idea that magical healing is "too easy". I recall playing d20 Modern where healing magic is not common and Hp is similar to D&D. What usually happened was someone got injured/critted in an early fight and then either sat out the adventure ("the bomb explodes as midnight, I'm too weak, go on ahead") or the group went and rested until full ("Hmm, the mummies tomb is still trapped. Lets come back next week when we're fully healed"). D&D healing magic is a metagame tool to keep the threat of death there, but allow quick recovery to return to play.

Yeah, D&D magic doesn't make sense on a simulationist level; nothing in D&D does. A racially diverse group of specialist mercenaries wandering around doing odd jobs for kings and mayors? They descend into subterranean labyrinths filled with a diverse group of independent sentient creatures and working death traps to find enough forgotten gold to finance a city or kingdom? Hell, D&D doesn't work and we've not even GOT to magic!

I'm not going to say your critiques in places weren't accurate. I think the problem is many of them fall into the "so what?" category. So what if flying makes a pit trap invalid. So what if a PC goes from death's door to fully healing in 20 seconds? So what if can kill a PC and raise him as a zombie next round. That is the essence of D&D. That is what attracts me too it. The lure of that "unlimited freedom" keeps me playing. I will gladly suspend disbelief on many of these problems for that freedom.

Pallidore

Explorer
Remathilis:

Even though we aren’t exactly agreeing, I have been enjoying these discussions!

For starters, citing books rarely wins the day. I can turn around and cite Harry Potter as a prime example of caster supremacy, follow it up with Dying Earth, and then top it off with Star Wars to give great examples of magical characters reigning supreme in a world filled with muggles/mundanes. The reason Gandalf doesn't magic away the one ring is plot contrivance; he might not be powerful enough "to melt snow" but he sure can kill a balrog by his damned self!

And D&D has usually focused on "adventure first" when doing world-building. I talk more about that below.

While I don’t know that I’m necessarily trying to “win,” I bring up authors in the same way the Federalist Papers are brought up for Constitutional questions—to highlight influences on the founders—but more importantly in this case to bring up influences present in the general populace (and its heroic fantasy enjoying sub-element) that set expectations.

Dying Earth and its associated stories are great stuff. And as grognards are aware, Arneson and Gygax (especially Gygax) were impressed and influenced by Vance’s work so much that the D&D “magic system” got based on it. Of course, Dying Earth, like Star Wars, is a mixture of magic and technology, not a mixture of magic and medievalism as D&D was and largely still is. It is also a keenly fatalistic setting, with the pall of foregone-concluded doom hanging over it. Of all the published D&D connected settings (whether from TSR/WotC or not), the farther one got from the “magic-tinged medievalism” flavor, the more outlier and specialized (and smaller popularity) things became, and any time the pall of doom hung over a setting, popularity decreased even further.

It’s not clear to me that hybrid (mixed technology/magic) settings achieve the degree of relevant impact. Because of the very present technology element, I do not know that I would say that magical dominance occurred in either the Dying Earth or Star Wars milieus (and Star Wars especially was so specialized and narrowly applied, its effects across the milieu could be termed “spotty” and not a factor in the day to day—more of a technology dominance, with magic an occasional actor). Harry Potter is a modern day “magic secreted away and hidden from mundanes” setting (for some individuals, that was of course another story) that strives NOT to dominate or interact with the mundane world. None of the three milieus are medieval/ancient flavored either, taking them far from the “base” setting, and might be hard pressed to be considered classic heroic fantasy, even disregarding any popularity differences. Incidentally, while there are plot contrivances in LOTR, there are also plausible, within-milieu, reasons for most of those contrivances. Like you, however, I don’t want to dwell overlong on literature and movie nuances.

Newbies are my main concern, and the majority of newbies are almost certainly going to bring to the table standard heroic fantasy references—Tolkien pre-eminent among them, especially because the base game has those very Tolkien-esque elements in it. The farther the game goes beyond those references, especially consistently, the harder it can become for newbies to identify with it and stick with it.

Pallidore

Explorer
What you are proposing (by way of innuendo) is that D&D magic needs some further revision to "fix" the parts that are still a problem. In essence, just as we get something once again resembling classic D&D magic, we already look to replacing it with a new, balanced system that takes into account various different costs and resources. In essence, scrap the neo-Vancian system and start with another fresh attempt at D&D magic.

If I implied that I wanted to scrap the magic system, I apologize for sowing confusion. Unlike some folks, I do NOT want to abandon the Vancian system, especially with its Neo-Vancian improvement. I might just be having veteran’s sentiment, but I prefer it to the rapid recharge method, although in fairness to 4E, its mechanics so overshadowed flavor that even good ideas were not trumpeted correctly, and facets that were left over from previous editions were often so understated that people often assumed them to be missing. I do applaud WotC, however, for in 4E at least making an attempt to solve the confusing-as-hell-to-newbies multiple uses and definitions of “level.” While I think they could have found a better way, at least they tried.

WotC in 4E committed the classic marketing mistake of insufficiently caring for the present customer base while trying to grab a new customer base. While this is not necessarily the thread to discuss 4E variables and changes (an interesting sidebar, but it has been done a few times), it should be noted that in the era of WoW and other MMORPGs, WotC was trying to reach a whole new market segment for D&D. By using mechanics that group would not be unfamiliar with, and keeping things streamlined and relatively clean and simple so as to lower the considerable barriers to entry that DnD over the editions had developed into, it hoped to draw them in. A number were. But many of those that were apparently didn’t stick, and a fair number of others who did stick appeared not to stick around with 4E; once they got the PnP RPG intro by 4E, they were lured to Pathfinder (for a number of reasons, some of which have already been discussed). Still, 4E did have some success, just not the level of success that WotC envisioned, and this despite active disdain from most of the 3.5/Pathfinder crowd.

Pallidore

Explorer
Call me cynical, but I just don't worry about the kids anymore. New players will find it and play it because it does something no video-game, novel, or TV/movie can; complete freedom. That drug, once tasted, is hard to quit. A group who falls into the notion of a world they can create, destroy, and create again with characters they design and quests they thought up will learn the rules and adapt just to keep that fire going. Yeah, D&D loses players every year to quicker and easier fixes, but the true fans will play, screw something up, and learn. You can't kid-proof the game and expect complete freedom. The trade off for having the right tools for the job is that some of them have sharp edges; a player will learn not to stab themselves with the sharp things if it means they get to keep the tools. I'd rather build a minority of dedicated players than a majority of casuals.

Except in an entertainment-saturated society, one complicated by time-starved individuals whose schedules to meet at one place at a certain time for a certain period of time, and consistently, are problematic as all get out, unexplained and unresolved incongruities in the game can just as easily frustrate to the point of choosing to turn instead to something easier, more manageable, and at least more internally consistent.

And I say that even though I hope it isn’t so. I WANT DnD to attract and keep new players and DMs in large numbers.

Pallidore

Explorer
Area of Effect spells were potent due to large damage over a wide area and the potential of friendly fire. The former part IS the point of direct damage; to harm a large group quickly. 3e direct damage was poor due to monster/PC hp inflation and the presence of Save or die/suck. It seems they've tried to make direct damage viable again.

Divination magic is problematic since the PCs can learn stuff. Well, yeah. D&D has never worked for murder mysteries. Detect Magic has always been a good tool to weeding out magical traps, items, and effects (and thankfully, its not at-will like Pathfinder!). Detect Magic has some natural limitations (materials, range) but more importantly, why is it bad for the PCs to scan for a magical item on a fallen foe or to see if the hallway has a teleport trigger? It seems the alternative is to force a lot of "gotcha!" rolls (You didn't roll arcana on his belt pouch, so you missed his bag of infinite components bwahahaha!)

Likewise, I loathe the idea that magical healing is "too easy". I recall playing d20 Modern where healing magic is not common and Hp is similar to D&D. What usually happened was someone got injured/critted in an early fight and then either sat out the adventure ("the bomb explodes as midnight, I'm too weak, go on ahead") or the group went and rested until full ("Hmm, the mummies tomb is still trapped. Lets come back next week when we're fully healed"). D&D healing magic is a metagame tool to keep the threat of death there, but allow quick recovery to return to play.

Yeah, D&D magic doesn't make sense on a simulationist level; nothing in D&D does. A racially diverse group of specialist mercenaries wandering around doing odd jobs for kings and mayors? They descend into subterranean labyrinths filled with a diverse group of independent sentient creatures and working death traps to find enough forgotten gold to finance a city or kingdom? Hell, D&D doesn't work and we've not even GOT to magic!

I'm not going to say your critiques in places weren't accurate. I think the problem is many of them fall into the "so what?" category. So what if flying makes a pit trap invalid. So what if a PC goes from death's door to fully healing in 20 seconds? So what if can kill a PC and raise him as a zombie next round. That is the essence of D&D. That is what attracts me too it. The lure of that "unlimited freedom" keeps me playing. I will gladly suspend disbelief on many of these problems for that freedom.

Direct damage should not be unviable, but we also need to remember that it cuts both ways—when PCs are on the receiving end.

Murder mysteries are the stuff of classic group problem solving, and what newbies (both players and DMs) bring as one of the expectations. Divinations nixing its possibility, or making it very hard for a DM to pull off, nullifies a prime avenue of satisfaction for no good reason, and once again shortcircuits classic adventure.

Arcana checks to uncover magic are player driven things, emphasizing good exploration and good immersion. Detect Magic short circuits a great deal of that and makes things both mechanical and irrelevant. While I always thought there should be some minor fatiguing aspect to too many multiple attempts at Arcana sensing of magic in 4E (to preclude the “I’m checking for magic all the time” impracticalities), there should also have been an item in the DMG about this skill that should have read something thus: “If an individual or the party needs to discover a certain magic item, effect, etc., or that you just think it will better advance the story, then you as a DM should overrule contrary dice and say it’s discovered.”

Magical healing: I spitballed a thought once that WotC should have had in the description of most magical healing that, except perhaps once a year or once a decade on a special religious holiday, a magical healing only works on someone the healer knows has a heroic spark—an unseen mark of the gods/fates/etc. that sets them out as POTENTIALLY more than most mortals. This is not a particularly thought out way, but the point is that there are ways for players to have cake and not disrupt the game world. The PCs having access to too much mag healing can be a problem in other ways, however; I guess we’ll see how it plays out in 5E.

D&D doesn’t need to work precisely at a simulationist level. It only needs to work sufficiently, and not have glaring incongruities, for newbies especially to readily suspend disbelief. For veterans, adding more simulationist background detail to maintain internal logic might also help though.

Near-limitless freedom is what attracts many of us to the game. When things become dramatically incongruent however, the immersion that so enriches the game can be lost due to suspension of disbelief becoming increasingly iffy.

It’ll be interesting to see in 6 months (or less), if and how my views shift.

Remove ads