D&D Movie/TV In hindsight DADHAT should have been saved for 2024.

Oofta

Legend
The problems with the advertisements were that they made it look like just another CGI-fest. Which, to a certain degree it was but not to the extent people would have gathered. That, and the "A D&D Movie" should have been the subtitle, not the title.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I feel like alot of this is armchair quarterbacking. I don’t think they released it at a particularly bad time based on the knowledge they had at the time. In hindsight 2 of the movies it was between did really well. But given the mass amount of 2023 movies that likely would have happened for most any release date.

CommodoreKong

Explorer
I feel like alot of this is armchair quarterbacking. I don’t think they released it at a particularly bad time based on the knowledge they had at the time. In hindsight 2 of the movies it was between did really well. But given the mass amount of 2023 movies that likely would have happened for most any release date.

I have to disagree to an extent on John Wick 4, if you look at the box office of that series it wasn't exactly hard to predict that 4 would be a hit on at least a similar level of 3 if it didn't do better, the series only did better and better with each entry and 3 was already fairly successful (especially given it's somewhat modest budget).

Mario was probably much more difficult to guess. Nintendo had done a ton to build up Mario and had gotten the Switch in so many hands that it's easy to say "Of course it will do super well" but you also see something like Detective Pikachu which didn't do all that great despite the strength of the Pokemon IP (but then again it wasn't following a traditional Pokemon story line). I know I thought Mario would probably do well but I had no idea it would become such a smash hit.

FrogReaver

I have to disagree to an extent on John Wick 4, if you look at the box office of that series it wasn't exactly hard to predict that 4 would be a hit on at least a similar level of 3 if it didn't do better, the series only did better and better with each entry and 3 was already fairly successful (especially given it's somewhat modest budget).

Mario was probably much more difficult to guess. Nintendo had done a ton to build up Mario and had gotten the Switch in so many hands that it's easy to say "Of course it will do super well" but you also see something like Detective Pikachu which didn't do all that great despite the strength of the Pokemon IP (but then again it wasn't following a traditional Pokemon story line). I know I thought Mario would probably do well but I had no idea it would become such a smash hit.
Sure. But IMO John Wick did good. Not phenemonal. It wasn’t the cause of HAT doing badly.

Zardnaar

Legend
Sure. But IMO John Wick did good. Not phenemonal. It wasn’t the cause of HAT doing badly.

Relative to budget it did very good. It's out performed most movies not named Barbie or Mario.

Think is beat every summer movie except Spiderman with its multiplier (X4 iirc). It did double HAT BO with smaller budget.

They were fairly screwed April through to August. December I think is reasonably clear.

FrogReaver

Relative to budget it did very good. It's out performed most movies not named Barbie or Mario.

Think is beat every summer movie except Spiderman with its multiplier (X4 iirc). It did double HAT BO with smaller budget.

They were fairly screwed April through to August. December I think is reasonably clear.
Doing good relative to budget isn’t what impacted HAT though.

In hindsight , maybe. But given the info they had at the time (i.e. no strike) there was no reason to wait. Waiting costs money. Think of what the interest is on $150 million. And then on top of that add the lost revenue of their next investment that the money HAT did make could have been invested in.

Remove ads