D&D (2024) In Interview with GamesRadar, Chris Perkins Discusses New Books

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Chris Perkins did an interview with GamesRadar about the direction and goals for the new books, how it is not a "new edition," amo g other things:

"This is not a vanity press we're doing," says Perkins. "This is not me trying to prove myself as a designer to the world. We're trying to answer the question of 'what is the D&D that fans really want to play, and how do we deliver that for them? So in things like the Unearthed Arcana [playtests], we will sometimes put things in the articles that we know probably won't fly, that the community will push back on because they're not ready for it or they don't think it's right for the game that they want to play. We do that because we have to know, and that's the only way we can really know. So the playtest process has been very interesting to look at because I found that the fans don't want us to move too far from where Fifth Edition is now."

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Frontline combatants, yes.
Frontline combatant doesn’t necessarily equate to tank though. Monks are lightly armored, highly mobile single-target damage dealers - what you might call “strikers,” “skirmishers,” “DPS,” or something along those lines. A “tank” is typically a heavily-armored, limited-mobility, space-controlling unit.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Frontline combatant doesn’t necessarily equate to tank though. Monks are lightly armored, highly mobile single-target damage dealers - what you might call “strikers,” “skirmishers,” “DPS,” or something along those lines. A “tank” is typically a heavily-armored, limited-mobility, space-controlling unit.
People use "tank" pretty imprecisely now: a Monk's shtick is Frontline combatants, which I imagine the writer meant with that comment. He seems to be going off of the "Class Groups" from the UA Playtests (as they also group Paladin, Druid and Cleric together as "support") which while they stripped out the rules part over the playtest may still be in the PHB as an organizational grouping.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
People use "tall k" pretty imprecisely now: a Monk's shtick is Frontline combatants, which I imagine the writer meant with that comment. He seems to be going off of the "Class Groups" from the UA Playtests (as they also group Paladin, Druid and Cleric together as "support") which while they stripped out the rules part over the playtest may still be in the PHB as an organizational grouping.
Which is also weird; Paladins are definitely more tanks than supports.

Remove ads