• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In need of a little advice

ArcOfCorinth

First Post
I'm looking for a little advice here. One of the parties (11th level) I DM encountered a particularly vile group of drow renegades tonight. They trounced the drow, but the cleric went down last. With her last breath, she uttered a dying curse (BoVD) at her killer, the party's half-orc fighter.

The fighter's INT was 8. I used the -6 version of the spell. They're now left with a fighter as smart as a dog! No problem, right? The cleric will quickly fix this, right? Wrong! The party lacks a divine spellcaster (wizard, rogue, monk, fighter, fighter, fighter/barbarian). The nearest cleric of Vecna (their patron) is twenty miles away. They're not supposed to return without two items, a magic staff they've already uncovered and the head of a lammusa (needed for a vile, powerful divination spell). Returning without the second item will certainly result in the curse not being lifted. The fighter will just have to stay as he is for the next several weeks.

Has anyone else been through anything similar? How would such a character act and would he retain the ability to use weapons?

Breakstone

First Post
Hm... just a few possibilities:

Tell the player, flat-out, that his character will act like an animal. Maybe the player can choose an animal to emulate.

Taking away all weapon proficiencies may be mean, but maybe limit him to Simple weapons to represent his... eh... difficulty with figuring out the whole "poke the guy with the pointy end" thing.

And, possibly, replace one of the future treasures with a magical spring, or something, that replaces lost stat scores.

However, it could cost something to heal these stat scores- the characters may have to make a bargain with the Spirit of the Spring.

Just a few ideas.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Sure he can use weapons. Apes (Int 2 according to the standard rules) can use tools, so why can't the fighter? An Int of 2 is still enough to know to stick the sharp end in the squishy thing.

BTW, this should be major encouragement for the player to RP up a storm.

Demiurge out.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Lol, this reminds me the time I had feeblemind cast on my wizard. He was high enough level such that his familiar-wizard relationship did a 180 and so I roleplayed the familiar for a time while my wizard acted like a dumb animal.

But I suppose that doesn't help much here. Though what I wouldn't give to play a character that acts like a dog lol. Especially a fighter.

Party: "Go get 'em. Go get 'em. Go get that evil cleric!"
Ftr/Dog: *panting* "Yea, yea, grrrrrrrrr!" *charges off...

rofl, I would have TOO much fun :p

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
No claws. Bite 1d3+strength modifier. They can dress him any way they like..and that he'll accept. Maybe give him scent. Perhaps Trip with no AoO since he's probably a bit big for a dog and it adds a little to the fun for him.

Or bring an NPC in for him to play along with the curesed character so he doesn't get bored.

General Squawks

First Post
He could probably use weapons, but only at the most basic level. In other words, he would probably lose access to feats that rely on tactics, strategy, skill or finesse. Like Tsumani said, probably only simple weapons would be avialable.

He would probably still be able to follow simple commands, retaining some of his previous knowledge of language.

Of course, the rest of the party will have to lay down paper and such until he is house broken. Or they can take turns walking him!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads