• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In Print Fantasy Games

Tharen the Damned

First Post
buzz said:
And this is fun for them?
Indeed it is.
But I would NEVER play D&D like this.
WH not about killing things and take their stuff to kill more things but all about surviving in a grim world against all odds.
As Game Master I am not out to kill the PCs, that is no fun for any of us. I try to give them a "Die Hard" combined with "Alien" experience.
You do not see some Orks, smile and kill them before heading to the Pub. All fights can be lethal. And the Witchhunters can be as bad as the Witches they hunt. And Chaos lurks everywhere. Yo do not know if the friendly barkeep is not some Nurgle Cultist testing his newest plague on you.
Coming out of an adventure alive and with all arms and legs you started with (nor more and no less) is "winning".

JoeGKushner

First Post
Tharen the Damned said:
Indeed it is.
But I would NEVER play D&D like this.
WH not about killing things and take their stuff to kill more things but all about surviving in a grim world against all odds.

Depends. The Karak Azgul whatever it's called adventure by BI is indeed about killing things and taking their stuff and then killing more things and taking their stuff with numerous levels filled with different themed elements.

buzz

Adventurer
JoeGKushner said:
Depends. The Karak Azgul whatever it's called adventure by BI is indeed about killing things and taking their stuff and then killing more things and taking their stuff with numerous levels filled with different themed elements.
This is what I've never quite understood about WFRP. I see people commend it for being so lethal that no one wants to get into fights or cast spells, but then I look at the rulebook, and it's all rules for getting into fights and casting spells.

Or is half the fun seeing how quick/creatively your PC dies, a la Call of Cthulhu?

scourger

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:

Yes. Karak Azgal is a geat adventure. See above. I do wish I had made it the all-dwarf campaign, which would have opened up a lot of adventures & opportunities in Skalf's Hold. Maybe next time.

Aus_Snow

First Post
buzz said:
This is what I've never quite understood about WFRP. I see people commend it for being so lethal that no one wants to get into fights or cast spells, but then I look at the rulebook, and it's all rules for getting into fights and casting spells.
It's not that lethal. Not really.

Or is half the fun seeing how quick/creatively your PC dies, a la Call of Cthulhu?
I've never seen that as a WFRP goal, GM- or player-side. From memory, there haven't been too many more PC deaths, compared to D&D.

JoeGKushner

First Post
buzz said:

Depends on the players and the GM.

Players have Fate Points, which are in essence, get out of jail cards for when they get whacked, but these are very limited in terms of how many you get and how often they're replenished.

If the players are used to D&D style antics and have no planning or strategy and aren't top quality fighters with solid equipment, they're going to suffer for it.

It's like comparing True 20, which lacks hit points, with D&D. You can run similiar style games, but must be aware of some of the differences that not having an automatic escalating 'ablative armor' like hit points means to the overall scheme of things.

The setting is also built into a lot of the material which... I don't want to say enforces a certain game style, but certainly makes understanding the setting and what your role in it much easier.

The game is also a little schziophernic as it brings a lot of elements from the table top miniatures game to the RPG but at the same time, all the 'big guns' like war wizards and other things that players would LOVE to play, are not detailed. On one hand, the setting feels very low magic, on the other, thanks to the table top and supplements, there is a ton of referencs to high magic elements in the game.

lukzu

First Post
Hi Joe!

Hope I'm not thread rezzering...

Thanks for asking about the Monster Burner. I just reprinted it and incorporated all the errata. That should bring it completely up to speed with Revised BW. Hope you get a chance to play.

-Luke

JoeGKushner

First Post
lukzu said:
Hi Joe!

Hope I'm not thread rezzering...

Thanks for asking about the Monster Burner. I just reprinted it and incorporated all the errata. That should bring it completely up to speed with Revised BW. Hope you get a chance to play.

-Luke

Sounds like another product to pick up.

Not thread rezzering at all. Burning Wheel, and Burning Empire, both look to have some great elements to them. One of my friends wanted to do a Burning Emire, but wussed out and is running Age of Worms on a different day.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads