IN REMEMBRANCE---2018 AD

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
Louis Zorich, who played Paul Reiser's father on Mad About You, died Tuesday. He was 93.

Zorich also appeared on Brooklyn Bridge, The Muppets Take Manhattan, and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Joseph Polchinski, one of the world's leading string theorists, died Friday Feb 2 at the age of 63. He won many awards for his work, most recently a share of the $3-million 2017 Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics. While most famous for discoveries in string theory, his work also influenced our understanding of more traditional particle physics and even solid state physics, and he reinvigorated the study of Hawking's black hole information loss puzzle in 2012. NPR aired an interview about him yesterday here.

Joe was also my PhD supervisor and a mentor for me well after I finished my degree, so this hits close to home for me. On a personal level, Joe had a great sense of humor and always seemed to come at life full speed. And, unlike most intellectuals of his stature (or lesser), he was genuinely more interested in other people's success than his own.

Remove ads