• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In the Valus - The Heroes of Marchford (Chapter 14 Continues - 12/24/08)

Funeris

First Post
Bizump...for weekend readership. I have an update about half done...so you guys will probably get 2 next week. Still no internet access at my new apartment, so I can't update over the weekend unless I come in to work.

Have a nice weekend!

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 8: Into the Deep Continued

The northern tower shot up above the high walls of Llyndofare. It was easily twice as high as the protective stonewalls of the castle. Empty black windows looked down upon the courtyard. Not a creature stirred, not a sound was made after the defeat of the Allip. The tower was the only area in Llyndofare that had not been searched and cleared. Heaving the heavy wooden backdoor over the well, the Heroes moved toward the tower.

Once in the entry, two sets of wooden stairs drifted upward into the ceiling. One set of stone stairs pierced the ground, spiraling downward. Of the mindset to prevent any ambushes, the Heroes headed downstairs into the basement.

The basement however was empty, with the exception of two dwem soldiers. The soldiers had been dead for several days, as evidenced by the rot of the corpses. Both had suffered several bite attacks, pieces of flesh ripped from their bodies. Their gear lay unceremoniously in a pile next to their corpses. The Heroes gladly helped themselves to the easily earned loot. Then, they proceeded upward, past the entrance hall and to the second story.

This level was also empty except for antique furniture from the days Llyndofare had been occupied. A spare room near the northern wall held more free loot. This loot also came from the deaths of two dark dwarf corpses. Anticipation racked the minds of the Heroes as they gathered what could possibly be used, then headed to the third level.

Upon finding another empty floor, exasperation coupled with anticipation. This level yielded absolutely nothing, not even dwem corpses. The party looked emptily at the last remaining staircases. Tobias started up the right, just as Motega began the left.

As their heads popped above the final floor the familiar clacking mandibles of the Scorpiots sounded behind. Tobias unsheathed his greatsword, Motega knocked an arrow and the battle was joined.

But despite the warning of the clicking mandibles and the anticipation, Tobias took the full force of a wicked claw attack to ascend the final few stairs. Motega was more fortunate, pushing his attacker off the offensive with a well-placed arrow. Both Motega and Tobias moved away from the stairs, opening a path for the mage and cleric below.

Tobias forced his scorpiot adversary away from the stairs with a stunningly powerful attack. The scorpiot barely deflected the arcing swing of the greatsword and retaliated with equal fervor, it’s poisonous barbed tail piercing Tobias’ armor. The familiar burning of poison stung Tobias’ veins, but he shrugged off the poison and raised his sword for another attack.

A missile of magical energy exploded into Tobias’ back, damage he couldn’t shrug off. Motega launched a volley of arrows at the scorpiot mage; his arrow-tips found only the walls of Castle Llyndofare.

Upon the explosion of the magical missiles, Magnus scrambled up the stairs and headed toward Tobias. The mage had memorized a strength-enhancing spell that morning and moved into a position to deliver the extra power to Tobias. As he took his place behind and slightly to the side of Tobias, a final viscous attack dropped the young fighter unconscious. The scorpiot turned its attention toward Magnus. Magnus gulped.

Fitz finally ascended the stairs near Motega. The Rornman had dropped his bow and now faced off with the claws and tail of the scorpiot mage. The Cleric of Ceria peered around to find the best course of action and moved toward Tobias.

Magnus pivoted, barely dodging a claw and ran toward Motega, drawing the beast away from Tobias. But before he had made it halfway across the room, the beast’s barbed tail pierced his kidney. Magnus remembered the feel of the poison as it coursed into his veins just before his world went black.

Motega’s blade slid powerfully between the natural armor of the scorpiot. Its beady eyes went wide as it embraced the death delivered. The ranger lifted his boot to the scorpiot’s chest and kicked its corpse off his blade. Then he turned to pursue the other attacker.

Fitz had dodged nimbly by the charging scorpiot and slid to a stop in front of Tobias. He leaned down withdrawing a wand and coaxed the healing into the fallen paladin’s body. Tobias’ eyes flittered open.

“Behind you!” Tobias’ raspy voice called out. Fitz spun about to see the scorpiot drop Motega into a heap. The scorpiot charged the cleric, a cacophony of noise spurting from its mandibles. Fitz stepped back and the beast nearly fell upon him.

Tobias leapt up at the last possible second, his greatsword raised high, using the creature’s own force to impale it. The monstrous beast slid off the blade with a sickly slop sound.

Fitz looked around at the carnage and then moved to heal his party members.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
It was great...

It was great had the day off and an update on the same day.

The Archmage is pleased.

Magnus

P.S. Don't make me crack the whip on you to get another one soon. :lol:

Miln

Explorer
I just wanted to let you know that I'm reading. All your bumping finally made me take a look. Good stuff! Keep it coming. I probably won't post much, but I'll be keeping up.

Thanks for a fun read.

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 8: Into the Deep Continued

Here's that second post I promised for this week :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early morning of the next day, the Heroes of Marchford awoke in castle Llyndofare. A sprinkling of rain had passed during the early morning hours and despite that relief, the rising sun promised another scorching day.

Motega stalked out into the nearby forest to hunt and harvest a meal for the entire party. The other three remained in the castles and began constructing warnings for any bandits that might wish for refuge. An hour later Motega returned with a dear and various nuts and berries.

After a quick breakfast, the Heroes quickly finished with their preparations. Magnus was quietly affixing his crystal blue arcane mark to the tops of the towers when Motega sighted a band of men approaching from the North. A shrill whistle sounded from Motega’s lips and the rest of the party took their positions.

Motega, Tobias and Magnus waited along the catwalks at the rear of Llyndofare while Fitz exited the back door. He walked to the edge of bridge and waited.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gandras had welcomed the sight of Llyndofare from the distance. She was a magnificent keep that had protected him, his kin, and his associates for many years. The tales of the keep were over-exaggerated in his opinion. Often there were sounds in the castle at night but it was easy to recognize the sounds as nothing more than insects and animals. But the superstitious peasants had obviously exaggerated. Bugs became restless spirits. Animals became vicious ghosts craving companionship. It was for that reason he had chosen Llyndofare. No guards would dare enter the keep, preferring to face the wrath of their commanders than the wrath of a spirit.

But Llyndofare was different this time. He recognized it easily even from this distance. Gigantic blue symbols blazed at the top of each tower, even along the walls intermittently. The mark had to be of a mage Gandras thought. The implications were something to worry about. But perhaps, it was merely from a mage that traveled with another group of bandits. Deciding to at least garner a bit more information before deciding whether to flee, Gandras instructed his six companions forward.

When the bandits had finished climbing the steep trail up the plateau, a shrill whistle pierced the air. Movement could be seen among the catwalks behind the high walls. The bandit group slowed a bit to search for archers. Seeing none they continued toward the rear door, which surprisingly was gone.

A man shuffled out of the keep and toward the bandits. Gandras’ hand went instinctively to his dagger, but he did not withdraw it. He stopped his men ten feet from the man, obviously a priest not a mage. That meant there was at least one other here, Gandras thought. He saw movement above and quickly multiplied that figure.

An awkward silence stilled the warm air until Gandras broke it. “I seek refuge for my traveling companions and myself. Please step aside.”

“I am sorry,” Fitz began, “but castle Llyndofare can no longer be a refuge for travelers.”

“She has always been a refuge!” Gandras quickly retorted. “Surely a priest and mage would not cast travelers out?! Especially ones exhausted with a hard journey and just needing a bit of rest?”

“Castle Llyndofare has been reclaimed by his rightful owner the Duke of Dun Beric. No one is permitted to enter at this time,” Fitz calmly replied. “It is not safe.”

“Safe? Of course Llyndofare is safe. You’re here aren’t you?” Gandras didn’t believe the lie about the Duke. These bandits were just fortunate enough to have a cleric as well, he decided.

A grunt issued from behind the wall, as Tobias lifted the tied object and flung it over the wall. The body of a scorpiot plummeted downward then snapped as the rope held it in place. Looks of horror blossomed on the bandits’ faces, all except for Gandras.

“Llyndofare is not safe, not be gone.” Fitz demanded.

“Just one,” Gandras searched is memory for the name of the unnatural creature before him not finding one, “beast and already dead. Now let us in!” Suddenly three more of the insect-appearing beasts flew over the edge of the wall. Then four more bodies joined those four, the dwem corpses.

Gandras had heard of the dark dwarves. He knew them to be evil, more evil than petty bandits. His mind began to change. Perhaps Llyndofare wasn’t so safe.

“There are more inside.” Fitz challenged. “If you really want to risk the lives of your men, then by all means enter. But,” he held up a finger to mark his point, “the infestation has not been cleared yet. You would do well to leave.” The other six bandits turned to walk away. Gandras had a hard time pulling his eyes from the corpses.

“Oh!” Fitz added. “If you have need, I can send a garrison of soldiers with you to make sure your journey is a safe one. I wouldn’t want you to run into any bandits along the route.” Fitz nearly beamed as the leader turned to follow his men.

“That won’t be necessary!” Gandras shouted. “We know the land well enough!” Then the bandits disappeared over the lip of the plateau.

Remove ads