• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In the Valus - The Heroes of Marchford (Chapter 14 Continues - 12/24/08)

Funeris

First Post
Still in my head, Yeti, old chap. :D

I'll see what I can do to get it out before close of business today. (Because if I don't...it won't happen....I am going out tonight...X-Men:3 and all)

It might be short...but maybe we need that after a 3,000 word update.

Stay tuned.

~Fune

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Funeris said:
Still in my head, Yeti, old chap. :D

I'll see what I can do to get it out before close of business today. (Because if I don't...it won't happen....I am going out tonight...X-Men:3 and all)

It might be short...but maybe we need that after a 3,000 word update.

Stay tuned.

~Fune
I've been working since midnight, with possible extra long day extended.....

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 13: Continued

NOTE: I’m going to continue this next portion just like the last. Oh, and you’ll note a certain email-happy Paladin’s lack of existence in this portion. I was busy with the little Funeris that had just been born…

* * *​

[D]
I'm just moving this along so, whenever we next sit down, you guys (and I) will have an idea of what you plan to do next. I'm assuming that you allowed the Lady Erica and her Lt. to head back the castle.

The next day dawned clear and warm, the unseasonable cold having departed. The wind became refreshing, and stole some of the heat from the air.

A handful of peasants returned from the east, asking to speak with whoever it was that defeated the Vakkenfolk. The party found themselves conversing with four stout farmers, each wearing leather armor and carrying swords. Despite the fact that they looked unaccustomed to carrying arms and armor, they seemed proud - even defiant.

After watching the men wolf down huge piles of food at the tavern, the Heroes listened to their tale. It is an epic of bloodshed and woe. It seems that perhaps one hundred villagers had fled east, and no more than sixty now survive. The peasants blamed a few turncoats for most of their problems - it seemed a few villagers attempted to curry favor from the Culites by selling out the hiding places in the eastern woods.

The peasants begged your permission to bring their battered and tired families home.

One of the peasants told a story of how the Baronet's Lieutenant attempted to mount a sally against some Vakkens that had encamped below the castle's walls. The peasant claimed to have seen the fight from the trees to the south. Apparently, the Lt. was doing a damned good job until the horn blew from the castle - forcing him to call off his men and return. The gates closed, and that was the first and last the peasants saw any of the Baronet’s soldiers in the field.

Just as the farmer is finishing his tale, a cry erupted from outside. Byk, at your order, had organized a watch and a townsman was always within the tower of the church to watch the approaching roadways.

Byk cried, “A squad of horsemen wearing the colors of the king are thundering down the north road toward the village.”

With a look at one another, the party gathers their equipment and moved outside to meet them.

There were twenty men in addition to their captain. The captain was a tall, stern-looking man, wearing the emblem of Morduk proudly on his surcoat. He dismounted, handing his reins to one of his soldiers, and marched forward to stand before the group.

"I am Captain Dougal of the Stonetooth Lancers, sworn man of King Gavanor Tyne, and we have received word that trouble is afoot." He looked about at the destroyed homes and the last few traces of rising smoke. "It seems the word was true."

He studied all of you before allowing his gaze to rest squarely on Fitz and Tobias. "You two - you look to be men of good Rhelm stock. Tell me your names, and what part you played in this mess. Also, we seek one who calls himself Magnus Burn - do you know him?"

[F]
Oh - I so want to say, no I don't know anyone by the name of Magnus! :p

"Well Captain, good greetings to you, my name is Fitz and I come from the plains. This tale will be a bit in the telling, so why don't we move into the inn and I'll explain the situation..."

Fitz will throw a little diplomacy into the ring (+14) - and proceed to introduce our group (including Magnus) and explain the situation starting from Marchford up to Minetown including the lack of participation from the Baronet. Leave out anything to do with funky mushrooms for now - nor will I state anything about Tobias being a Paladin or our friendly neighborhood werewolf.

I'm curious if he offers any explanation on the Baronet's behaviour during our conversation or his take on the Morduk priest - particularly that he is wearing a symbol of Morduk - I would think he would be very interested in that part of the story.

Also - not knowing the chain of command and the messenger ability in Rhelm – but would the King have received prior notification about the dwem and scorpiots? Does he mention any confirmation of hearing about dwem attacks or the scorpiots or does he seem completely surprised during the telling of our story?

As mentioned - Fitz lays out the story - no need to go into great detail about Calyx either nor really any party member. Each can speak up for themselves if requested. Regards to the Baronet - Fitz remains neutral in that he states the facts - the gates were locked before/during battle and no assistance was had from the Baronet's men (in other words I won't call them a bunch of p*ssies or cowards - but I'll guide him to those conclusions if probed - a noble is a noble after all and I'll let him make judgment).

[D]
You have softened the old boy up. His face doesn't seem nearly as stern, and he commands some of his men to ride about and survey the town, whilst a few others tend to their horses. He is happy to eat with you within the tavern, and plans on visiting the Baronet only after he hears what you have to say on the matter.

[F]
Oh - prior to the captain we were eating with the a few returning peasants. During their story I encourage them to gather the remainder of those hiding and return to their homes and families. Fitz will speak to the innkeeper and arrange a fee for shelter and food for those currently homeless or in need. Up to 50 kings - I would imagine that should be plenty.

[Mo]
Motega will keep his thoughts to himself considering that the Righter here in town was corrupt. He will go and help guide the refugees back to Minetown. During that time he will ask them about halflings, mushrooms in the quarry, and the Whore's Nag.

[Ma]
What would the following modifier be?

Passing a note to someone using Sleight of Hand, so others do not notice?
But the receiver does notice.

Passer - Wearing robes
Receiver - Heavy Armor
Item being past - Folded one page note
When Passed - During a handshake, arm to arm style
Others - Other people are around but not actively looking for it.

[Mo]
Motega’s spot is +8 (with the -5 distracted penalty). If I am there to witness it and see it, I'm telling Fitz on him.

"Ooh, Ooh! Magnus passed a note! Magnus passed a note! Your in trouble now, Magnus!

[Ma]
Magnus is introduced to the Captain.

My reason for the Sleight of Hand question is, for passing a note to the Lt, hastily scribbled "Who gave the order of retreat? ~ Magnus" This would be passed when I apologize for my words and offer my hand in friendship.

Apology something like this, "Good Lt, I must offer my sincerest apologies to you concerning defending the town. I have heard of your battling the Cula Vak's outside the walls."

[Mo]
Motega is not there (so I can't be a tattle tale to Fitz) he is helping the rufugees back to town--what's left of them anyway.

Things he is asking the townsfolk:

1. What do they know of halflings?

2. What do they know of the Whore's Nag?

3. What do they know about the mushrooms?

My gather information sucks (-2 with the racial penalty), but I am hoping that by me helping them back to town, they may open up. My sense motive is good though +8 or something so I probably will know if they are lying. If I do sense somebody is not completely honest I will relate that to the party and mark him for a Heroes of Marchford sit down later on.

Also, I think we wanted to bring up the corrupt Morduk priest that got the commoner beat down.

[D]
Ok, lemme see if I can sum some stuff up. Read this then let me know what I failed to address.

* The Captain does not seem surprised to hear about dwem/scorpiots as you relate that information.

* The Captain remains impassive when hearing/discussing the Baronet's actions (or lack thereof).

* The Captain previously ordered his men to poke about town, and mentioned that he'll meet with the Baronet after first hearing/learning all he can.

* The Captain also remains impassive (he's got a good poker face) when hearing about the Morduk priest's involvement with the Culites.

* In short, you get the feeling the Captain is not going to show his hand or jump to conclusions until he gathers as much information as possible. This includes listening to your tales and, presumably later, listening to the reports his men bring back after poking through the village.

* The Captain does not let Fitz pay for rooms/food for returning peasants; he orders Abraham to put them up free of charge in the name of the King. Abraham does so.

* Motega learns this from the refugees he scares up: (1) Abraham's Inn was once known as the Whore's Nag - about 10 years ago; (2) Abraham was the barkeep, but the owner was a halfling that disappeared about 10 years ago, as well; (3) none of the peasants seem to know anything about "flying halflings".

* The Captain is polite and cordial enough, but you suspect he weights Fitz's words a bit more than anyone else's, perhaps due to his Diplomacy, or perhaps due to his religion. He obviously respects Tobias' size and Rhelmsman blood. He seems a bit uncertain how to view Magnus, but has remained very polite throughout.

Ok...what did I miss? If nothing, we can go from here.

[Ma]
I like the uncertainty about Magnus thing. If his men reported back to him the number of "Scorched Earth" areas and he knows all the reports were signed by "Archmage" it could add to that title, by the sheer firepower I threw down during the battle. Then add in my youthful appearance, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't believe who I say I am.

Magnus is behaving himself, letting Fitz do the talking. I'm going to say Magnus took a "20" on his Wisdom check to let the old man talk. He will answer any direct questions though.

I do have one question Destan, are any of the Villagers in the Common Room with us? Magnus will be curious for their reactions when we tell our tales.

[Mo]
To Destan: Any of the townsfolk know anything about mushrooms?

To the group: I think we need to have another talk with Abe. He told us before he knew nothing of halflings. It seems he was not completely honest.

[D]
You mean it ain't 'Honest Abe'?!? Arrgghhh!

Motega: Um...the townsfolk only know that the Culites were interested in the quarry north of town much more than the town itself. They think the town was only used to quarter Culites until they set up a place in the old mines outside the quarry. Since there's the "weird mushrooms" in the quarry, some of the townsfolk seem to think the Culites were interested primary in them. Who knows?

Magnus: There are a couple townsfolk in the bar (2-4), but they are giving your group and the Captain quite a bit of distance, and none of them appear to be listening - or, at least, let it be seen that they are trying to listen.

[Ma]

Only Motega knows about Abe right now right? Is he with us in the Inn, need a timeline from you, Destan how long til Motega's return? I assume he was on horseback doing it.

Destan, Magnus is interested in if anybody that looked like a caster came with them. If I can discretely excuse myself to the outhouse on my way back use Detect Magic 1 min/level = 7 minutes scanning for the courtyard and common room of the inn. I do not approach anything I notice. Just take note of it. I just have a really weird feeling something is here in the room with us.

[Mo]
Getting all the townspeople back may take most of the day so don't count on hearing from me until evening.

[D]
Magnus: You casting detect magic inside the inn, outside the inn, or waiting until Motega returns? You casting it "in the open" or trying to hide it?

[Ma]
Begin in the outhouse, keeping it up for the full 7 minutes walking back into the inn with it up. Treat as one round scans, walking slow (Concentration +9 Total). I will keep it up for the full 7 minutes unless I need to drop it for conversation, which I will be 'absent minded' looking. Any thing "suspicious" I will further the concentration on it (i.e. additional rounds of study).

[D]
Magnus detects a couple bits of magic about the Captain – his sword, his boots, a ring. Transmutation, transmutation, and abjuration. Also, Magnus detects an odd "sphere" of magic – about the size of a basketball - floating slightly off-center and about 10-20' above the Captain's head. Whatever it is, it isn't moving, and it's invisible to the naked eye.

[F]
Fitz when finished telling his tale looks at the captain (whose only response during the entire conversation was to acknowledge the dwem and scorpiots) and asks a question (or maybe two)

"I thank thee, good captain, for listening to my news. I have two questions of my own - has the King received reports of dwem and scorpiots on the King's lands in other places…”

[D]
Captain: "Yes, yes, we have received reports. It's not just us. Seems the Carriks are getting hit a bit, too. Most of the worsT news from from up by way of Hammer and Anvil, near Rorim's Gap.
Whatever it was, however, it seems to have died off recently. Not nearly as many reports. Maybe it was just a little mass uprising; them underdark folk can never seem to stay organized together for very long, thank Morduk."

[F]
Fitz says: "...and secondly - we've run into another mercenary group which called themselves the Black Reaver's - we believe that they were or are based out of Tarn Cal and up to no good - have you any experience with this organization?"

[D]
Captain: "Personally, no. But I know the name - and that ain't good. Because if I heard of 'em, it means they're good at what they do. Sounds to me like you merely defended yourself, so they shouldn't be in a tussy to come and get ya. Lots of mercenary companies lounge about up in Tarn Cal; most rich folk head there to hire them...or Truceton, of course - cheap sellswords there.”

The Captain finishes his meal, wipes his mouth with the back of his hand, and stands. "Excuse me, gentlemen. I thank you for your service thus far, and kindly request you remain available and within Minetown for a day or two. I must go outside and speak with my men. We will be billeting in the Church. I trust we can meet tomorrow to break our fast, and then discuss next steps. Is this agreeable, friends?"

[Ma]
Magnus: "Yes Captain, I'm finalizing another report right now would you like to see
it. Please. Just have to add my signature to it," hastily signing SCRYING SPY RIGHT NOW underlining it.

As a Wizard player I recognize the old Wizard Eye spell. I'm assuming between Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft (+15 each with Synergy of +2) I can get this one. I can only guess Fitz and Tobias understand what I'm doing. They might try to stop me…don't know, its up to them.

[D]
Magnus: Yep - you would know it's a Scry spell.

The Captain sees your note and borrows your quill to add his own line. "I know, Master Burn."

He looks up, smiles, and returns your quill. "It's my back-up in case you and your friends turned out to be...bad guys. Good night, sirs."

[Ma]
Magnus: "Glad to know that Captain, I do strive to know who listens when I speak. Not many ever take me seriously due to my youth." Magnus is smiling now, feeling like the cat that got the canary.

"One last thing Captain, the Lieutenant... he did not call the retreat into the castle. According to the villagers we talked to he was fighting valiant when the order came.

"We look forward to you meeting you again in the morning, let your men know one of ours went out for the other villagers and should be returning by morning."

It feels good being right.

Funeris

First Post
Working on the next portion now...which will make two of the three updates I owe you by tomorrow. I'm switching out of repost mode. Its time to write...

~Fune

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Waits with enticipation of what is to come,
just a thought you might want to go back and write out those emails story wise. They can get confusing that way.

Yeti

Remove ads