• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In your current D&D 3.5 game, do the players or DM use Psionics and the XPH (Expanded

Xor

Explorer
Having borrowed a copy of the Expanded Psionics Handbook from a friend over the weekend, and had a look at the rules, I'd have to say that i'm amazed there is so little mention of psionics in the D&D community generally.

That got me curious, so lets have a poll!

Ahem, poll options below. Yes, lets use the new fangled super advanced stylee:

1) Yes we use them.
2) No, haven't got round to reading the XPH book.
3) No, don't like the rules or psionics generally.
4) No, no-one in the group owns a copy of the XPH book.
5) No, doesn't fit in with the current campaign theme.
6) No, for another reason that i'll specify below.

Last edited:

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Option #1 - Yes, we use them. The XPH made psionics worth using, being fairly balanced against the rest of the system. Occasionally we have a player use a psionic class or race, and as DM I have been known to throw a psionic monster into the mix (whether or not the party had a psionic character).

diaglo

Adventurer
7) No. As a player I own all of the books. But none of the Psionics parts are being used. The DM's (Olgar Shiverstone)hat of psionics knows no limits. even though, we encounter the traditional D&D monsters like mind flayers...

devilbat

First Post
Options 3,4 and 5.

My players don't seem to be interested in psionics, so it's something I don't have to deal with, nor justify the expense.

derbacher

Explorer
1) Yes we use them.

Eberron just about requires the use of psionics, with the Inspired, Riedra, and the Dreaming Dark. I have a psion in each of the Eberron games I run. Psionics are no more difficult to use than the magic system, and we have fun describing the manifestation of the psionic powers. ("What is that hum? Make it stop! AAAGGH!")

just__al

First Post
I have never, never, never, EVER like psionics. This goes all the way back to 1st edition's random psionic characters and the joke of 2nd edition psionics.

That being said. I'm about to start a campaign that will feature abberations and I managed to get a chance to leaf through the XPH. The book didn't make me want to set fire to it when I leafed through it, which is very important because they probably don't take kindly to that kind of thing at Barnes and Noble. I went home and ordered the book from Amazon since I'm all about best price, no sales tax and free shipping.

The players will encounter a soulknife in the first session but won't really get a real taste of psionics before the abberations come.

Should be fun, the rules look mostly balanced, best attempt in the D&D system yet.

Troll Wizard

First Post
In the 9-player group I play in:
1) Yes we use them.
There is one player on occasion that plays a psionic character. One or two others have talked about it, but never followed through. Everyone else seems to ignore it.
We have played an epic campaign (on and off for 2 years), but it seems to die off after 4-8 sessions. Everyone seems to get burned out on it, then we play something else. The DM that runs it is pretty good at making challenging encounters for our PC of levels 24-27. From time to time we have returned to it, but the last time the group asked to start the game over at level 1.

In my 7 player group that I DM:
3) No, don't like the rules or psionics generally. Honestly I don't care for the psionics rules, much too sci-fi for my taste. Also it would not work well with my concept of anicent magic that is supposed to be in my campaign.
Epic while I have played in it off and on for 2 years (as noted above), it is not something I am interested in running. Odds are I will stop running my current campaign once they get around 10-12 level. I don't have much fun running a game beyond those levels.

Jackelope King

First Post

I run a psionics-only game, so the XPH sees a lot of use. In my other games, it still sees some use. I like me my psionics, and this is after hating them vehemently as recently as 3.0E.

Li Shenron

Legend
3 + 4

We use some traditional psionic monsters (Illithids first), but without using the psionic rules.

Only one of us has the PsiHB, and officially allowed us to play psionics PC in his campaign, but no one chooses to do so.

My feeling is that the psionic monsters we encountered fit the campaign, but psionics PCs somehow wouldn't fit.

Remove ads