• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In your most recent game, were human variants allowed?

Nevvur

Explorer
In my current main campaign, no feats and no variants. Interestingly, the PCs are also 100% human. However, this is more a product of their idea to belong to a human-centric religious organization than out of consideration for mechanical bonuses.

In all previous games, I've permitted human variants. About 30% of the PCs over the course of 4 campaigns (and assorted side adventures/projects) have been humans. 100% of those human PCs have been human variants. "Regular" human has never been selected at my table except by me for special NPCs built using PC character creation rules. I rarely give these NPCs feats because a complete class package is complicated enough for a single NPC.

Finglas

Explorer
Yes, but the other three players made half-elves, and I made a drow bard. No connection to the you tube guy named Drow Bard though.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
In your most recent game, we're human variants allowed?

Yes, but only one person played one. The fact that I give every character an extra feat at first level (and human variants get "+2 to two ability scores" instead of "+1 to two ability scores and feat") may have something to do with it.

The Old Crow

Explorer
In my most recent game, variant humans were allowed. Two of the four players picked variant human, and picked Athletic and Alert for their feats. I think they just picked the first feat that they saw that they liked, since this is the first time I allowed feats. I have been using an all odd array to make standard human not suck so much, but no one has ever picked a standard human to play.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I do allow variant humans, although only one player made one for my current campaign; the rest are half-elves and elves. No one wanted to play a dwarf, even though they're really cool in my setting...

However, that being said, I also give bonus feats at 1, 5, 11, and 17th level (in addition to allowing variant human).

GlassJaw

Hero
I allow both.

Current campaign I'm playing in the DM also allows both. Two player chose variant human. One player chose Inspiring Leader and the other chose Polearm Master.

Volund

Explorer
I haven't played in a game where variant human wasn't allowed. Or feats. Vhumans are a top choice for optimizers (or as I prefer, "engineers") but even with them allowed they aren't the predominate char race for a variety of reasons: flavor, racial features, darkvision. Outside of AL, we never have more than one Vhuman in the party.

I don’t use feats in my games so, no.

But my next game I’ thinking about allowing variant humans wherein the variant human feat would be the ONLY way a character can get a feat.

Remove ads