• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In your opinion, the VERY BEST adventure product to come out in the last two years.

I'm looking to hear from everyone (from OD&D through 4e) in terms of what they think the best adventure product is (an adventure product can be a single adventure or a campaign/adventure path or mega-adventure) that's come out in the last year or two. Ideally it'd still be in print.

Last edited:

My choice is Way of the Wicked by Fire Mountain Games.
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/97880/Way-of-the-Wicked-Free-Preview%3A-Prison-Break%21

I'm primarily a 3e/pathfinder player, so don't know about most other edition adventures.

I considered a few Paizo APs as well as several products from Open Design (both/all of which are stellar, rating 3+ through 4 or even 5 stars).

However, in terms of a "new classic" that meets the categories of: innovative, interesting, fun, well written, and exciting I couldn't find a competitor that outdid Way of the Wicked.

(Please note, I'm not affiliated with them in anyway, nor am I a fanboi based on their prior works or reputation, as they have neither prior works nor reputation to my knowledge. ;) That doesn't mean I won't gush about this AP...I'm lovin' it.)

MAN! It's an evil adventure path done right for the only time I've ever seen it done right in any edition. While railroady at first (to get those evil PCs in line), it quickly becomes more sandboxy with players getting 1. their own dungeon to flesh out and defend against meddlesome good guys, and 2. their own evil organizations.

As a bit of a grammar nazi myself, I'll admit that there are a few (through several) grammatical errors depending on the book, but overall, I am deeply inspired to run this campaign...and not just because it finally does an evil campaign well...because it's the best campaign I've seen in a while that just happens to be evil.

If you haven't checked it out, you should. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

All that said, I'll be quiet now other than asking questions about others' choices and answering what I can about that AP, though Gary McBride is one of two authors and has an account on this site. His account name is @gdmcbride

So now...please gush away about your own favorites so I can go out and buy em! (If you could also provide links to read more about them/buy them that'd be appreciated as well).

Also, close second choice was a tie between Slumbering Tsar and the new Rappan Athuk (reloaded sorta) Kickstarter. But, while those each get 5 stars, I don't think they get credit for the level of originality that Way of the Wicked does, IMO. It's a tough life comparing 3 five star products, but I guess I'll live. :)

Last edited:

Doesn't have to be limited to D&D, but I think ENworld is focused primarily on D&D.

So, post what you admire, but with the knowledge that others might not appreciate it quite as much if it isn't some form of D&D.

That said, awesome is awesome. If you think it deserves it...gush away!!!!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Dungeon Alphabet. It's like a concentrated distillation of much that made the 1E DMG awesome. (Not technically an adventure -- definitely an "adventure product," though.)

Argyle King

Legend
Doesn't have to be limited to D&D, but I think ENworld is focused primarily on D&D.

So, post what you admire, but with the knowledge that others might not appreciate it quite as much if it isn't some form of D&D.

That said, awesome is awesome. If you think it deserves it...gush away!!!!

I was going to say Mirror of The Fire Demon.

While I wouldn't say it's necessarily my favorite adventure (though I think it is fairly good,) I put it forward as one of the best releases because it filled a gap in a product line which needed to be filled. Beyond that, it's also an adventure which is very easy to convert to other systems. A tertiary reason would be that it serves as a good way to introduce a new group to the product line that it is for.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 1: Mirror of the Fire Demon

-------------------------------------------------------------

On a more D&D related note, I'd go with the Pathfinder Beginner's Box. While not strictly an adventure, I feel it was an excellent product. The adventure that came with it was pretty good too.

imurphy943

First Post
Dungeon Alphabet is the best that I've read, followed closely by the random dungeon generators in the back of OSRIC. I haven't read Carcosa or Vornheim yet, though, so I'm withholding final judgement.

Dungeon alphabet seems very good (I don't know it...but I just bought Goodman Games "Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG"). I'll branch out as it seems worth it. :)

OK, party people. I thought this might be a prolific thread with lots of glut adventures.

Toss out your favorite pathfinder adventure (or AP). Toss out your favorite 4e adventure (or AP).

Share what you think is totally awesome, what you'd hope to promote so the writer and/or publisher can make even more awesome along the same lines!

Wicht

Hero
I would offer my opinion but it would seem pretty self serving. :)

Aside from anything I have helped produce, I think the Kingmaker AP is a fairly decent set of adventures.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads