• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inactive Publishers speak up!

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I think the problem lies with the fact that the Paradigm site hasn't been updated for almost 2 months (atleast that's what one look at the frontpage told me). Paradigm is one of the bigger D20 companies, and with that there comes a certain expectation of internet pressence. Two months without updates would make me a bit worriesome as well, especially with v.3.5 comming out and GenCon on the horizon (which is now taking place if the deserted forums are any indication).

Mousenator's comment was much appreciated because i'm currently making my order list for the distributor i order at and was wondering whether to include Paradigm right away or wait a few months. The not up-to-date website made me worry whether or not you where still in business or not. I'm not yet comfortable with e-mailing every company that i have 'questions' for, have you any idea how many e-mails i would have to send ;-)

JoeGKushner

First Post
ParadigmPrez said:
Hello Joe,

You know Joe, I've seen that you spend ALOT of time on this forum as well as others. I would imagine that you must spend hours behind a key board.

Wouldn't it have been in better taste to have merely emailed the companies you listed rather than making the rather tasteless posting you made here?

Ouch.

I thought that others might want to know the status of several companies or have some behind the scenes information and in some cases, companies not listed have added their information so I think so far it's been a pretty successful post in gathering information.

Ouch again.

rpace

First Post
Hmmmm.

Imagine the "ouch" of seeing you company, one of the larger independent D20 publishers out there, mentioned in a "dead publishers" thread.

Considering that the Paradigm Living Arcanis page was last updated July 15th, that there was an huge LA event at this past Origins and three more rounds of LA at GenCon and that the mind flayer book just came out a few months ago (you did buy one, right Joe? I recall you participating in the Unveiled Masters thread a while back). . . .

. . . And you get lumped in with publishers who last updated a page back in 2002 or published a book in 2001.

I gotta tell ya, I'm surprised at Henry's restraint.

~Richard

JoeGKushner

First Post
Unveiled Masters is a great book. I think Paradigm does some great work and said so when I mentioned there thread.

Like AEG though, they don't update the website that often and the products, quality ones, come out at a slow pace, unlike AEG, which is why I didn't ask about them (Secrets of the Crab and Wilds are pretty cool so far.)

Would it have caused Henry great distress to say, "Joe, I'm amused by your placement of us as a 'dead' company but we're very alive and very busy. We apologize for not keeping the web site up to date and intend to have several new products out the door any day now with products X, Y and Z at gen con in a similiar fashion that we did last year where we had spell decks, giants and other goodies. Thanks for your continued interest."

As far as the Living Stuff, I'm way out of touch there. Sorry but it's invisible to me. Not saying its not important as I'm sure it's a big reason they have so many fans. And I'm probably missing it but I don't see the update you mention on the main Paradigm page under the news or the Other News section. Not under the community page either.

For those interested in Living Arcanis though, here's the web site
http://www.livingarcanis.com/

Renocide

Explorer
I didnt consider the post tastless. I believe that a "professinal" in connection with a company that relies on the persons that post here would have more restraint but thats just me.
Why not a "hey, we're still around just real busy!" and be done with it.

ParadigmPrez

First Post
Hello again Joe,

Would it have caused me distress? Before postulating that question to me, perhaps the same could have been asked of your own post.

Would it have caused you distress to email the company in question? Perhaps. Maybe the list was too long to have done so, but I do feel that it was a bit of "stirring the pot". I assume that you'll be at Gen Con in a few days; why not ask in person then? Regardless, I've seen this tone of post recently (like the Polyhedron one that Eric Mona had to contend with) and just wanted to try and nip it in the bud right here.

Now, to the person who felt I was rude: Sorry you took it that way. I felt that my company, one which I spend MANY hours and money to see flourish being targeted...again, (Not by Joe in particular, but it is a fairly common occurance) and I rose to defend her.

Now, someone else mentioned that there is a certain expectation to update our website in a timely fashion. In a perfect world, you're right. Unfortunately, our webmaster is no longer with the company and our new website (which allows for quick and easy updates) is not yet ready.

Joe also makes mention that our website hasn't been updated as one of the reasons he thought we were a dead company. Why? That's what makes me shake my head. Didn't we just publish a book less than two months ago? Haven't we produced two or more Living Arcanis adventures (each over 25K words apiece) every month?

Bottom line, in my opinion, is this: If you make some sort of negative generalization, don't be surprised if someone takes you to the mat for it. The Internet is a wonderful tool, but too often I feel that people use the excuse, "The medium of electronic communication is a poor tool. It didn't convey my emotions properly" instead of taking the time to mean what you say/type.

So sorry Joe, I guess it would cause me distress to say, "Joe, I'm amused by your placement of us as a 'dead' company but we're very alive and very busy..." because it would be a lie.

I was not amused.

ParadigmPrez

First Post
Hello Renocide,

I believe that a "professinal" in connection with a company that relies on the persons that post here would have more restraint but thats just me.

LOL...I did, I really did show restraint. You should have seen what I originally typed. :D

But seriously, you asked, "why not just say we're busy and be done with it". Yes, I could have. I also thought about not even replying, but didn't. I just said to myself, "Here we go again" and responded from my heart.

Best,

JoeGKushner

First Post
"Would it have caused me distress? Before postulating that question to me, perhaps the same could have been asked of your own post."

Fair enough.

"Would it have caused you distress to email the company in question? Perhaps. Maybe the list was too long to have done so, but I do feel that it was a bit of "stirring the pot". I assume that you'll be at Gen Con in a few days; why not ask in person then? Regardless, I've seen this tone of post recently (like the Polyhedron one that Eric Mona had to contend with) and just wanted to try and nip it in the bud right here."

Gen Con is an undecided issue still. As far as asking them then, the internet allows quick, fairly efficient communication.

"Now, to the person who felt I was rude: Sorry you took it that way. I felt that my company, one which I spend MANY hours and money to see flourish being targeted...again, (Not by Joe in particular, but it is a fairly common occurance) and I rose to defend her.

Now, someone else mentioned that there is a certain expectation to update our website in a timely fashion. In a perfect world, you're right. Unfortunately, our webmaster is no longer with the company and our new website (which allows for quick and easy updates) is not yet ready.

Joe also makes mention that our website hasn't been updated as one of the reasons he thought we were a dead company. Why? That's what makes me shake my head. Didn't we just publish a book less than two months ago? Haven't we produced two or more Living Arcanis adventures (each over 25K words apiece) every month? "

Publishing a book two months ago is good but with so many publishers, one loses track of companies quickly. Companies in the d20 business may have shorter lifespans than is typical or may (like Skeletonkey) change focus. This last part is good to note but as I mentioned, I'm not a member of the LA and these updates aren't mentioned on the home page under news, other news, or community.

Speaking of community, as you've noted, I do spend a lot of time here and many other publishers take the time to come in, chat about their product, share updates, etc... Paradigm doesn't do that often as evidenced by your low post count.

As a consumer, I'm afraid that while I enjoy your products, your issues are your issues. The inability to finish your new websight or someone to handle it is one is going to cause people to ask questions. Very simple I'm afraid. AEG gets bombed all the time on certain forums for their inability to update their webpage. On the web, people expect it to be used.

"Bottom line, in my opinion, is this: If you make some sort of negative generalization, don't be surprised if someone takes you to the mat for it. The Internet is a wonderful tool, but too often I feel that people use the excuse, "The medium of electronic communication is a poor tool. It didn't convey my emotions properly" instead of taking the time to mean what you say/type.

So sorry Joe, I guess it would cause me distress to say, "Joe, I'm amused by your placement of us as a 'dead' company but we're very alive and very busy..." because it would be a lie.

I was not amused."

Fair enough. However, as you've noted, more than one person has felt that perhaps your 'defense' was a little too strongly worded in that my quesiton was that of a simple status update question.

In my business, the IT field, I'm often told to grow a thick skin. It's good advice for anyone who does anything that interacts with other people.

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
rpace said:
Hmmmm.

Imagine the "ouch" of seeing you company, one of the larger independent D20 publishers out there, mentioned in a "dead publishers" thread.

Considering that the Paradigm Living Arcanis page was last updated July 15th, that there was an huge LA event at this past Origins and three more rounds of LA at GenCon and that the mind flayer book just came out a few months ago (you did buy one, right Joe? I recall you participating in the Unveiled Masters thread a while back). . . .

. . . And you get lumped in with publishers who last updated a page back in 2002 or published a book in 2001.

I gotta tell ya, I'm surprised at Henry's restraint.

~Richard

Taking the note here about dead publishers, I've changed the title. Good idea on that. Perhaps I'm alone in this but I don't consider Paradim one of the larger publishers. One of those who products quality products, much like Bad Axe, but not one of the larger.

As a matter of fact, to take an informal poll on the 'largeness' issue, I've even posted a similiar question as to what other EN World users think are large publishers. Maybe I'm just out of touch with how large some of these companies are.

Paradigm

First Post
JoeGKushner said:

Taking the note here about dead publishers, I've changed the title. Good idea on that. Perhaps I'm alone in this but I don't consider Paradim one of the larger publishers. One of those who products quality products, much like Bad Axe, but not one of the larger.

As a matter of fact, to take an informal poll on the 'largeness' issue, I've even posted a similiar question as to what other EN World users think are large publishers. Maybe I'm just out of touch with how large some of these companies are.

It was indeed the "Dead Publisher" title that concerned us the most. One person believing that is one person that doesn't ask his FLGS for our books.

"Largeness" is another issue. We backlist sell a great deal and we have a multi-thousands player fanbase. To them, we are huge. Though LA may be invisible to you, it represents 30 electronic products, or more, per year that are free support for out printed products.

SpellDecks are typically not associated with Paradigm in public perception but they have been one of the top d20 sellers over the past 8 months. Our web presence has been updated in the past week, we maintain 2 product sites (www.paradigmconcepts.com and www.livingarcanis.com) and we should probably link them together more effectively.

Eric Wiener
Paradigm Concepts, Inc.

Remove ads