• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Incorporeal help

Dolza

First Post
I have one character that is a Spirit Shaman. He has gained the ability to make himself incorporeal for 1 minute each day. I'm wondering about what all he can do while he is in this state.

Do his spells affect the material/corporeal world normally?
Does he need something like the transdimensional spell to affect normal creatures?
Does anything other than force affects work on him?
Can he hear/see/comunicate with others that are not incorporeal?

this ability has made him very powerful and difficult to attack with very little in the way of drawbacks. Am i missing something here? is this ability less powerful than i'm thinking?

thanks
dolza

Pinotage

Explorer
Dolza said:
I have one character that is a Spirit Shaman. He has gained the ability to make himself incorporeal for 1 minute each day. I'm wondering about what all he can do while he is in this state.

Do his spells affect the material/corporeal world normally?
Does he need something like the transdimensional spell to affect normal creatures?
Does anything other than force affects work on him?
Can he hear/see/comunicate with others that are not incorporeal?

this ability has made him very powerful and difficult to attack with very little in the way of drawbacks. Am i missing something here? is this ability less powerful than i'm thinking?

thanks
dolza

Yes, No, Yes, Yes. Incorporeal makes you insubstantial.It's not like ethereal where you're on another plane, so you can affect creatures normally without any problems. All magical weapons and spells affect you normally, only they suffer a 50% miss chance. Force affects relate to ethereal creature's I believe since force effects and most abjurations extend to the ethereal plane. Yes, he's only insubstantial, so he can communicate normally.

It's a neat ability, but not overly powerful. 1 minute a day is not a lot.

Pinotage

Nail

First Post
As a start, here's the SRD:
INCORPOREALITY
....Incorporeal creatures can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, by magic weapons, or by spells, spell-like effects, or supernatural effects. They are immune to all nonmagical attack forms. They are not burned by normal fires, affected by natural cold, or harmed by mundane acids.

Even when struck by magic or magic weapons, an incorporeal creature has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source—except for a force effect or damage dealt by a ghost touch weapon.

Incorporeal creatures are immune to critical hits, extra damage from being favored enemies, and from sneak attacks. They move in any direction (including up or down) at will. They do not need to walk on the ground. They can pass through solid objects at will, although they cannot see when their eyes are within solid matter.

Incorporeal creatures hiding inside solid objects get a +2 circumstance bonus on Listen checks, because solid objects carry sound well. Pinpointing an opponent from inside a solid object uses the same rules as pinpointing invisible opponents (see Invisibility, below).

Incorporeal creatures are inaudible unless they decide to make noise.

The physical attacks of incorporeal creatures ignore material armor, even magic armor, unless it is made of force (such as mage armor or bracers of armor) or has the ghost touch ability.

Incorporeal creatures pass through and operate in water as easily as they do in air.

Incorporeal creatures cannot fall or take falling damage.

Corporeal creatures cannot trip or grapple incorporeal creatures.

Incorporeal creatures have no weight and do not set off traps that are triggered by weight.

Incorporeal creatures do not leave footprints, have no scent, and make no noise unless they manifest, and even then they only make noise intentionally.

Remove ads