• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Increased maneuverability

anon

First Post
How much would be a fair price for a magic item that increases a flying animal's maneuverability class by one step (eg from Average to Good)?

Probably, on average, this is similar to an extra 10 feet of movement. In other words, if we gave the flier an extra 10 feet of movement they could achieve similar results as with a manueverability increase.

Checking (vaguely) similar items:
Boots of Springing and Striding (+10 land, +5 competence to Jump): 5500 gold.
Horseshoes of Speed (+30 land, quadripedal animal only): 3000 gold
Boots of Levitation: 7500 gold (side question: price basis for these?)

Any thoughts?

Andre

First Post
Off the top of my head, I'd price it as a moderately useful feat, roughly 8,000-10,000 base.

From there you can factor in restrictions:
Does it only work for one type of creature? (Griffon, Dragon, Pegasus, etc.)
Does it only work for certain size categories? (A horse collar that only fits Large flying creatures)
Does it require a certain number of legs? (4 horseshoes that must be attached to 4 legs)
Does it only improve maneuverability to a certain point? (The target gains a one-step bonus to maneuverability, but not above "good")
And so on...

8,000-10,000 may seem high given your examples, but the ability to use flight effectively can be very powerful. Going from "average" to "good" is a big step up, as is going from "good" to "perfect". Improving maneuverability at the lowest levels isn't as significant, which is why I suggest reducing the price if the item doesn't improve maneuverability beyond a certain point.

anon

First Post
Animals only. Which effectively limits it to going from average to good, since on quick evaluation I can't find any animals with good manueverability to start with.

8-10,000 does seem high.

Andre

First Post
anon said:
Animals only. Which effectively limits it to going from average to good, since on quick evaluation I can't find any animals with good manueverability to start with.

8-10,000 does seem high.

YMMV, but I think going from Average to Good is much better than just an extra 10' of movement.

Average:
Must move at least half your speed each round (using a move action each round)
Cannot hover.
Cannot move backwards.
Can only turn 45 degrees every 5'

Good:
Does not have to move during a round (allows full-round actions)
Can hover.
Can move backwards (that would look strange, depending on the animal)
Can turn 90 degrees every 5' (if it could fit, the animal could fly around corners in a dungeon)

Compare these differences to going from, for example, 60' of movement to 70' of movement. Good maneuverability is really helpful in confined spaces and in situations where the mount needs to perform a full round action.

All just IMO, but I think 8,000-10,000 is what I would use as a base in my own campaign.

BTW - I'm guessing you're not the GM. Talk to him/her. If it adds to the fun of the game without being unbalanced, just agree on a price. Every game is different and what works in mine may not work for you. If you are the GM, set a price and give it a try - just tell the player up front that if the item becomes unbalancing, you'll have to make changes. Good players will understand and work with you to keep the game fun.

Remove ads