• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Infernal Warlock thinks he's a paladin

Storminator

First Post
I've had this idea kicking around my head of a tiefling warlock. His family comes from a long line of Asmodeus dealing warlocks, but my guy wants to do good! A vision came to him one night, that he could change his family's destiny - break from the past. If only he would dedicate himself as a champion Avandra, goddess of change...

I'm pretty sure this isn't the most functional character. He wears plate he's not proficient with and wades into battle with his bastard sword, calling down "Avandra's" might on oppressors everywhere. I figure if he can keep getting Prime Shot and flanking he's almost respectable in attack bonus, but he's really going to need those temp hp, because he'll draw a lot of OAs.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Redemption, level 8
Tiefling, Warlock
Build: Scourge Warlock
Eldritch Pact: Infernal Pact
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Charisma
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Background: Family Tradition (Diplomacy class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 18, Dex 11, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 24 Fort: 18 Reflex: 15 Will: 20
HP: 65 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
History +11, Streetwise +14, Religion +11, Diplomacy +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +6, Bluff +11, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +6, Heal +4, Insight +4, Intimidate +9, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth +4, Thievery +2, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 1: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 2: Implement Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 4: Warlock's Wrath
Level 6: Primed Curse
Level 8: Devil's Favor

POWERS
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast
Infernal Pact: Hellish Rebuke
Warlock encounter 1: Grasp of the Iron Tower
Warlock daily 1: Decree of Khirad
Warlock utility 2: Fey Bargain
Warlock encounter 3: Delban's Deadly Attention
Warlock daily 5: Tyrannical Threat
Warlock utility 6: Life Siphon
Warlock encounter 7: Pain to Pleasure

ITEMS
Bloodiron Plate Armor +2, Vicious Bastard sword +2
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Did you notice that there is now a charisma-based (gift to avernus) at-will and a bunch of charisma-based encounter powers for the infernal warlock pact? That would let you forget about boosting constitution and focus more on your intelligence. With 13 str and 13 cha you can qualify for chainmail and light shield proficiency and avoid that nasty -2 penalty to attack rolls and reflex. Most knights fought in chain for most of the history of metal armor anyway.:)

Kaelkatar

First Post
Flavor: If he is no longer submissive to Asmondeus, how is he receiving his warlock spells? Avandra doesn't seem like the type to grant hellish magic, and even if she did, it would be divine not arcane.

Mechanics: Plate Armor, how?

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Flavor: If he is no longer submissive to Asmondeus, how is he receiving his warlock spells? Avandra doesn't seem like the type to grant hellish magic, and even if she did, it would be divine not arcane.

Flavor - Once you can use Warlock stuff they can't take it away from you, plus it's arcane who cares what name you cast in? Yes this character is deluded.

Mecahnics - He's wearing armour he's not proficent in and thus taking a -2 penelty to hit rolls.

Storminator

First Post

He IS still submissive to Asmodeus. He only THINKS he's serving Avandra. He's completely tricked, and every time he kills an enemy in the name of Avandra he ships another cursed soul to the Nine Hells.

RE: Plate Armor. No proficiency means he gets the benefit from the armor, but takes a -2 penalty to all attack rolls.

PS

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
He IS still submissive to Asmodeus. He only THINKS he's serving Avandra. He's completely tricked, and every time he kills an enemy in the name of Avandra he ships another cursed soul to the Nine Hells.

Oooor...

Like Elric, his patron doesn't sweat the small stuff and either doesn't care about this insignificant PC or figures he'll do more bad than good over time.

Heck, perhaps he even feels compelled to do bad things once in a while...after all, even most evil RW people do enough non-evil things in the day that most good people would not recognize their nature immediately.

Another option: the pact was not made by him, but by ancient ancestors- infernal power for all of the descendants in exchange for eternal loyalty...and as the potential oathbreaker, if he dies unreconciled with Asmodeus, the pact will be broken for the entire family. Can you say "hunted?"

Last edited:

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Well, I love the concept, but I'm curious what the other members of the party think about it, both characters and players. Also, I'm curious what Avandra thinks of it...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Other sources of inspiration for characters trying to use infernal power to do good include Hellboy, Brimstone, Friday the 13th: the Series, Etrigan and so forth.

Mengu

First Post
Like the concept.

RE: Plate Armor. No proficiency means he gets the benefit from the armor, but takes a -2 penalty to all attack rolls.

Could you house rule something like Imposter's Armor, except it would be leather, but would look like plate? That way you wouldn't suffer the penalty, but would have the look you want (of course your AC would drop quite a bit, but some of that could maybe be remedied with an off hand rhythm blade dagger or something).

Also Eldritch Strike instead of Eldritch Blast, and a Mage's Bastard Sword would let you wade into combat with your bastard sword, and do some stuff without provoking opportunity attacks on occasion.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Could you house rule something like Imposter's Armor, except it would be leather, but would look like plate?

Given the character's apparent level of self-delusion, my thoughts naturally turn to those faux-tux t-shirts that naughty but unoriginal teens wear to the prom.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads