• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Info on Moonblades...

Terraism

Explorer
First off, I'm going to rejoice now because I finally have a working connection to the Net again - meaning that I can take up residence here again! Yaay! :D (I feel stupid, not knowing what's gone on in the D&D world for almost a month! :rolleyes: ) Anyway, I don't want to take up a thread just to rejoice that I'm back - 'specially since I doubt I was greatly missed. :) Anyway...

I know a little of what Moonblades (FR) are, but... what sources detail them fully? So far, the extent of my understanding is that they're really cool swords that are elven in origin and gain some power due to various methods. Anyone know in what supplement they're described completely?

Volaran

First Post
Well, the 2E supplement "The Elves of Evermeet" had a bit of info on them, as well as a table for generating random powers for them. I believe there was also info on their history. The 2E supplement "Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves" might also have some info, though I do not recall. The Elaine Cunningham books would be the other obvious source.

Basically, they were swords created by elven High Mages that grow in power with each generation. Only elves can use them supposedly, though one half elf currently does. Upon taking up a Moonblade, the potential weilder is tested by the sword. If the elf is found worthy, the sword is theirs. If they are found wanting, they are destroied. At some point in their lives, for example when they couldn't otherwise survive a situation, the sword gains a new power that is represented by a rune on the blade. For example, to let its owner survive a fire, it might develop a power to imbue energy resistence.

This is a part I'm not so clear on, but I think the blades are supposed to determine elven succession within certain families. Some moonblades go dead when taken by someone who is the last of their line, as the family the blade was gifted to is essentially dead.

If you were going to introduce one to your campaign, I would recommend ignoring the table though. I consider the Moonblades minor artifacts, since after a few generations, their powers would exceed the limitations on powers inherent in magical weapons (max +10 equivilent powers). A Moonblade's history should, in my opinion, be something I DM takes time to create. This includes past weilders, explanations of how each gifted the blade with a power, general history of the family the Moonblade belonged to, ect.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Longdale

First Post
Goto your local bookstore and pick up Magic of Faerun.. it's 3e FR material.

Under the artifact section Moonblade is clearly outlined, as well as how to generate one.

Longdale

Aaron L

Hero
But don't forget, if a Moonblade accepts you, you're bound to it, and after you die your soul is pulled into the blade to power the gift you gave it.

The 2e book The Code of the Harpers was the first rulebook to detail Moonblades as far as I know. The Elaine Cunningham books Elfshadow, Elfsong, Silver Shadows, and Evermeet have non rule information on them, as well as the 2e books CotH, Elves of Evermeet, and Cormanthor Empire of Elves. Magic of Faerun has the best treatment of them, making them minor artifacts and describing their powers, with tables and such.

Volaran

First Post
I've always thought that the soul binding was unique to Arylin's sword. The Elfshadow ability described in Magic of Faerun is somewhat less than what Arylin's moonblade has been capable of (calling all the past wielders as well as the current's own shadow), and as I said previously, I disagree with basing the abilities of a Moonblade on the chart.

I could certainly see perhaps a piece of the soul at least being bound to the moonblade, hence the hefty 5000 xp loss required to become a user, however.

Mind you, that's just my own interpretation. ^_^

Aaron L

Hero
I'm pretty sure that all Moonblades bind their wielders souls to them after they die, not just Arylins. I'll have to go back and read Silver Shadows again, but I never got the impression that it was particular to hers. Could be wrong, though.

Remove ads