• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Info on the Wizard (Looked at the book today)

Lord Nat

First Post
Oh sorry for 3 posts in a row but I remembered something big that I wanted to post before I logged off.

The DMG (my friend was looking at it) has a few pages on house rules and how to write them.
We did not look at it but it was in the index near the back of the book.

gribble

Explorer
Lord Nat said:
I got my hands on a copy of the PHB for a little while today and wanted to give what I read on the Wizard (seeing as I have yet to see any real info for it).
Thanks!

Is it just me, or do wizards seem to get a *lot* of stuff at 1st level? It's almost like the exact opposite of 3.x, where they get nothing at 1st level, and everything at higher levels...

Irda Ranger

First Post
Lord Nat said:
No sorry nothing.
I went right to the stuff like the 1st level at wills and things >.<
Dang! I really want to know what Orbs do and if there are still "schools" or "Traditions", or whatever those Golden Wyvern/Iron Sigil thingies are called. I'm guessing they've been axed as class features since the Wizard pre-gens don't have anything like that, but a confirm would be nice.

gribble said:
Is it just me, or do wizards seem to get a *lot* of stuff at 1st level? It's almost like the exact opposite of 3.x, where they get nothing at 1st level, and everything at higher levels...
Yeah, it feels that way to me too. OTOH, Warlocks get Ritual Casting too, so they may be even there.

Most of Cantrips and Rituals though are (1) minor and (2) "out of combat", which doesn't figure into the class balance as much. Which could be a problem, since it's been a problem since AD&D 1e that Fighters didn't add much non-combat utility to the group. Didn't WotC say something to the effect of the classes being more balanced about that now?

Colmarr

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
whatever those Golden Wyvern/Iron Sigil thingies are called. I'm guessing they've been axed as class features since the Wizard pre-gens don't have anything like that, but a confirm would be nice.

I highly suspect that they will be class-specific feats much like the Cleric has the Amaunator and Bahamut feats.

Last edited:

Dormain1

Explorer
Originally Posted by Lord Nat
My bus was coming so I did not have time to stand there and read much.

What and there wasn't going to be another one ;)

Any examples of what you can and cannot do with Prestidigation

I think the whole wizard being more powerful is WotC trying to balance out the bell curves of wizard vs fighter strengths

in earlier ed. Wizards were weak to begin with but became the most powerful, fighter were strong to begin with but rather lack luster in later levels, its sorta the reason wizards have @will powers now

and thanks for the info

Lord Nat

First Post
Dormain1 said:
What and there wasn't going to be another one ;)

Any examples of what you can and cannot do with Prestidigation

I think the whole wizard being more powerful is WotC trying to balance out the bell curves of wizard vs fighter strengths

in earlier ed. Wizards were weak to begin with but became the most powerful, fighter were strong to begin with but rather lack luster in later levels, its sorta the reason wizards have @will powers now

and thanks for the info

Ya but my girlfriend wanted to get home to read her new books she got.

if I remember right it was just the classic make stuff clean and things like that.
Only one that stands out in my mind was being able to make a small item disappear till the start of your next turn.

Did any of the level 1 at-will powers do lightning or thunder damage?

I think there was one. I remember there being one of the at wills that was lightning based.
I wish I had have had more time to look at it.

Lord Nat

First Post
Scipio202 said:
If Utility spells use the spell book, does that mean that like the dailies you pick 1 of N Utility spells each day?

As far I was able to tell you get your slots like all the other classes as you level.
BUT you care store extra spells in the book, so each morning you pick what you want to fill your slots.
Think retraining but each morning...
Feels kind of like the old system to me but I can live with it, wizards are used to the huge spell list and if they removed it fully there'd be hell to pay.
At lest they can't change out At Wills and Per Encounters.

Remove ads