Information in a sandbox

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Well to answer the original question:
I think those posters who've said that the most important thing to do is sit down with the players at game start and discuss how things will work have got it spot on. Everyone expects different things from a game.

I'm a big fan of giving hints for any particular encounter. These hints may (or may not) inspire the players to ask more questions. The players may also be inspired to investigate directly. Hopefully they will ask more questions first.

The actual hints given will depend on the power and influence of the monster. So a local goblin band will be well known, including possibly even the boss gobin's name and the tactics they use, by the villagers in the area they predate upon. But only there. Folks in the next village over only know that 'Mactown is having goblin problems.' Bigger monsters have reputations that go wider. A giant that preys upon the travellers along a major road will be well known to all who live along or use that road regularly.

I'd maybe introduce the info along the lines of PCs are in a tavern and overhear a local farmer saying:
"That damn Rednose run off three of me sheep last night. Damn, dirty goblin b@st@rd."
The players can now enquire further and find out that Rednose strikes about once a week and rustles a few sheep with his half dozen followers, ignore it or go and sit by the sheep pens in the dark all night. Up to them.

In mechanical terms the DCs depend on:
WHO is asked.
HOW they are asked.
WHO is asking.
THREAT/BENEFIT to the one being questioned.

The first one I consider is the last listed: the cost/benefit analysis to the person being asked. All things being even (equal risk vs. equal benefit) make it a 10. Start modifying from there.

Extended Example:
The above mentioned farmer is approached and the PC offers to take on the Goblins. This is low risk/high benefit to the farmer. Base DC 0. The PC is a shifty looking, mud spattered desparado who demands a hefty payment (5 sheep!) so knock it back up to 10; no-one likes to get extorted. The PC gets a 10 on their check. I decide that the farmer tells just enough to get the PC into place at the right time but leaves out that Rednose has 6 goblin followers. From the bare-bones roll and the PC's method I decide that the farmer really doesn't like the PC and hopes that the PC will kill Rednose and scare off the goblins but get killed in the process.

Extended Example 2:
A paladin asks a merchant about the local thieves guild. The risk of crossing the guild high, so I'm thinking DC20 for a base. But the merchant would benefit a bit if the guild were destroyed so drop it 18. The paladin comes from an Order with a good reputation, so drop it further to say 15. The merchant is cunning, brave and willing to take risks, so drop it 12. The paladin takes a high handed and patronising tone that puts the merchant's back up so raise it to 15. The pally makes a Diplomacy check and gets 20, so a couple of good factoids are forthcoming. (1 at 15, 2nd one at 20)

Remove ads