• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inherent Bonus to AC

anon

First Post
Feat suggestion.

Permanently sacrifice 1 point of BAB to gain a +2 Inherent bonus to AC.

Special: This feat may be taken more than once.

Thoughts?
Too strong? Too weak? My reason for trying to write this is that I think that AC doesn't scale nearly as easily as offense as the game progresses.

Name?

Sravoff

First Post
Seems a litttle on both sides. most monsers get plus huge amounts whiel attacking nad they could easily nock that down a bit and have an unhittable ac. Ahile cvharacters would have a high AC but not be able to hit a barn. Very nice idea though. Perhaps there is a way to make this work.

anon

First Post
Thanks for your comment. I think that even if this feat is taken a few times it would at most bring AC to par with to-hit. The idea that we could make a reasonable character who was unhittable seems unlikely.

Also, forgot to add to the feat that: inherent bonus to AC protects against touch attacks and when flatfooted, and is not affected by anti-magic.

Now I just need a name.

Moleculo

First Post
why wouldn't this be a dodge bonues? I mean while mechanically it may be balanced, there isn't a good flavor/logical reason why this would work. I mean I could see the character sacrificing training in a weapon to be more able to dodge blows, but I couldn't see like, "I am naturally harder to hit." In any case, the dodge bonus always stacks, works vs touch attacks and is not affected by antimagic either. It just disappears when you're flat-footed.

Scion

First Post
does the bonus go away when flatfooted? are there any other special conditions? is it a general feat? can fighters take it as a fighter bonus feat? Is there any limit to the number of times it can be taken?

;)

anon

First Post
The only limit on the number of times it can be taken being that your BAB be less than 0. Though too much repitition of this feat will make a rather boring character.

Definitely a fighter bonus feat.

This could be changed to a dodge bonus if inherent makes it too strong. The only difference, as far as I can tell, being the flatfooted situation.

Who do you think would take this feat more frequently: fighters or wizards?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Personally, I'd grant an Inherent bonus to AC as a Dodge bonus, and I'd grant it only from the one in-game source of Inherent bonuses -- the wish spell. :) So, 5kXP each please, and you're limited to +5 total.

-- N

Scion

First Post
anon said:
Who do you think would take this feat more frequently: fighters or wizards?

Clerics/druids. They have medium BAB and if they want to really max out their AC they can (full plate, shielf, etc) and not lose much for effectiveness.

Although it is a tough call. After all, I'd probably still take expertise for my character most of the time. especially if it was a dodge bonus and would go away when flatfooted.

Moleculo

First Post
Well I think this should put it in perspective:

3.5 SRD said:
Armor Skin [Epic]
Benefit
You gain a +1 natural armor bonus to Armor Class, or your existing natural armor bonus increases by 1.

Special
You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

A natural armor bonus is another one of those "not in all cases" bonuses, and it's an epic feat. Inherent being an uncommon, undeniable bonus, it would have to be a dodge bonus to be remotely balanced in terms of epic and non-epic feats.

Remove ads