• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inheritors of 3.5 - An overview of what is out there

Kerrick

First Post
RC finally put out his 400 pages of house rules (well the SRD plus his changes equaled that, something around that page count) for public consumption?

I'm definitely in the camp of Paizo not going far enough, but at the same time I think syncing the power to stupidly broken products from the end of the 3.5 cycle was a bad idea, so Paizo sort of went too far at the same time. Not far enough to fix what needed fixing and too far on compatibility. And yes, I already know people disagree with me on the compatibility thing.
Yeah. He's got a thread here and it's also available for download here.

Contrarian

First Post
Heh, I was looking on Amazon recently too at some of the 3.5 things I don't have

Magic Item Compendium used copies starting at $47

Book of 9 Swords used starting at $34.

If I didn't already have the Spell Compendium? Used starting at $48.

PH II? Used starting at $40.

I wish now I had snagged an MMIII when it was going second hand new for $.01 (plus $3.99 shipping). I did snag my brother six Eberron hardcovers at that price as a birthday present though.

Amazon reseller prices for used RPGs tend to run high -- I swear those guys sift through eBay listings, find the highest price a book ever got (which is usually the price for a mint copy), and pretend every beat-to-hell copy is worth the same thing.

But otherwise, that's about the normal curve for an out-of-print game: Low resale prices whlie games stores still have books available, then panicky gamers spike the price when books start becoming scarce, and then prices start falling again when people who give up on the game dump their books. The 3.5E prices will amost certainly come down in a year or so, and take several years to move back up.

In the long run (when an actual collector's market overtakes the player's market) it will be the accessories released towards the end of the line that are the most expensive, since they usually sold less than core books and early accessories.

Votan

Explorer
E6 - Ryan Stoughton

Thankfully I was reminded about E6 after making this posting, so I'm including it now as it ought to have been in my original post.

E6 is free, E6 is simple, E6 is good. I haven't had a chance to play E6 yet, but whatever campaign I run next will 3.5/Pathfinder/Trailblazer will be an E6 campaign. How can I be so sure it's that good? Because I've already played something similar dozens of times. With E6 you simply play the first six levels of character classes as normal. After sixth level each time you "level" you just gain an additional feat. That's about it.

Does E6 still work with Pathfinder? Has anybody tried it? Do elements of the pathfinder system, like unlimited cantrips, still end up as issues?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads