• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Initiate of the Faith feat

guindone

First Post
Hi everyone, new poster here.

Does anyone know how healing word works when you have it as a daily power from the initiate of the faith multiclassing feat?

As an encounter power for clerics it works twice in that encounter.

I'm wondering how that part of the power translates when it become a daily power fro the multiclassed character.

Any info on this would be great.

Eric.

Kordeth

First Post
The feat specifically says once per day you can use the power, not "you gain Healing Word as a daily power," so you can use a single healing word every day.

guindone

First Post
Thanks for your reply Kordeth. I see your point, but don't see that as necessarily the only interpretation possible. The power healing word itself has the entry within it that it is used twice in the encounter. So I see some room for discussion there.

Any other opinions? Or better yet, an official ruling.

Eric.

Voss

First Post
Well, as 1/day thing, I would guess that it becomes just that- a daily power, you can use it once between extended rests. Other than that it would be the same a minor action lets someone use a surge and get an extra d6 hitpoints (on top of the surge value)

Simplicity

Explorer
The rules are pretty explicit about the specific rules beating out the general rules. Healing Word saying it can be used 2/encounter is an example of that. I might just allow it 2/day if I were DM. Seems the logical way to go.

rhm001

First Post
Simplicity said:
The rules are pretty explicit about the specific rules beating out the general rules. Healing Word saying it can be used 2/encounter is an example of that. I might just allow it 2/day if I were DM. Seems the logical way to go.

It may be harder to read "2/day" into the feat text, but I definitely agree that the power itself can be read so that 2/encounter=1 use, meaning that the feat character could only use it during one fight before a long rest, but could use it twice during that fight. It will be a good question to have clarified by WotC.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
If you gonna be silly about it, you might as well point out that Healing Power is described as an encounter power and that it specifically overrules the feat that makes it a daily.

But it's obvious that in this case it's the feat that is specific and overrules the powers.

The feats says 1 healing word per day. That's it. You do it once and then you're done for the day.

I have to say, interpreting this feat so that you can't use healing word in two different encounter in the same day but that you can do it twice in the same encounter takes a serious efffort in wishful thinking. It's absurd IMO.

Voss

First Post
Simplicity said:

You're going to have to point out to me which of those is the general rule. I see two specific rules, one of which is a severe stretch to apply in a situation where the feat says 'you can use this once'.

And since you're only gaining the power because of the feat, the 'logical' course is to follow the feat's rule.

guindone

First Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I think the wording is not ideal for the power and feat, but it probably does mean once per day and that is all. I'd still like to see something from Wizards but that'll probably be in a week at best.

Cheers,

Eric.

vladbat

First Post
I believe it would be comparabe to the other feats as well. The rogue one allows the use a sneak attack once an encounter. I would assume the Healing word is once per encounter based on that.
BTW the best thing about this feat is the access to the Paragon Paths of the Cleric and the gain of the religion skill. My Warlord will take this and so he can get ritual casting and become a Warpriest as well.

Remove ads