• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil Wards

gnfnrf

First Post
The Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil gains a number of ward effects, which draw on veils based on the layers of a prismatic sphere. Each type of ward spells out very specifically what conditions the "creature crossing the veil" condition is triggered by.

What is not in the slightest bit clear is if the "what the veil blocks" condition applies to the Initiate's outgoing effects, or just to incoming effects.

That is to say, if an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil raises a violet personal ward, can they cast spells out of it, or are they blocked by the ward? If they raise a red ward, can they fire a bow? And so on.

--
gnfnrf

Pyrex

First Post
I would suspect that just like the Sphere it references, no.

They have to drop the ward if what they're firing can't pass through it.

Storme

First Post
I've played one for quite some time.

It is a wall. A wall is two sided. He cannot cast spells through a violet ward...unless he walks through it and casts. I typically cast a wall (not a surrounding sphere) of violet and move through it, cast, and take a 5 foot step back through.

Remember the old addage (at least to me): To understand a rule, don't ADD to it. Since it doesn't say it's one sided, it is not.

Storme

RefinedBean

First Post
Don't have the info with me, but I thought you were given the choice of making it one-sided. (I'm planning on playing one in the future, so I should probably get off my butt and find these things out myself). Also, can you walk through your own ward (as a wall) without drawing the nastiness?

Pyrex

First Post
Storme said:
... and move through it, cast, and take a 5 foot step back through...

You can't do that. You can only take a 5' step if it's your only movement that round.

The only way that'd work is if you took a move through the wall, cast a Quickened spell, then a second move back behind it.

s-dub

First Post
Isn't there a feat somewhere like spring attack for spells? Like move cast move again as long as it's up to your base speed?

I agree that per RAW with no feats he couldn't do the move cast 5 foot step.

Zelc

First Post
Because your hand isn't where the spell originates from. Your square is, and that's behind the veil.

Plus then you're just shifting the problem of getting through the ward to your hand, I think?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads