• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Initiative Reboot [homebrew]

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I'm looking to improve my group's current initiative system.

We've been using the DMG optional "Speed Factor" system (similar to AD&D where you declare actions in advance like "I'm using my Warhammer" and choice of action affects initiative). I posted awhile back actual gameplay feedback, and in summary it works to generate tension, drama, and unpredictability to combat without slowing our game down, but it has cons I'm looking to improve upon, namely that with a d20 roll, player choice of Action is still largely whim, and whether players should be able to change a declared action.

So I'm not posting to convince anyone to use this system or asking for feedback on why you think it wouldn't work for you. I'm looking to improve on what works at my table and am looking at homebrewing an adaptation of the Greyhawk Initiative (which has flaws as written), using what other DMs have come up with and my own work.

Dynamic Initiative Proposal A:

1. Players discuss as a group to declare what Actions and Bonus actions they will take each round.
2. Instead of a d20, the choice of actions will determine what initiative die they roll. Lowest numbers go first. [sblock]Knowing roughly what you're going to do when your turn rolls around has worked wonders at the game table in curbing analysis paralysis. I suppose it might help with people who don't pay attention, but that might be personality, not game mechanics. Small learning curve expected to return to AD&D's low number "count up" system.[/sblock]

* Only one initiative die/dice is rolled, no matter how many Actions you declare. You simply take the highest (slowest) die out of all your actions.
* Dexterity no longer applies
* Ties are resolved by your Passive Initiative, which replaces your character sheet spot. It's your Dexterity or Intelligence score + any modifiers from the Alert feat or other features.
* If you are incapacitated, you don't roll for initiative. If that status is removed, you can only Move

Duration: Effects are checked at the end of a round in which the turn came into play for an affected creature, and duration spells last until the end of the next round.[sblock] This is a convoluted way to saying common sense applies and Rules as Intended means you get use out of your abilities. If you cast True Strike it doesn't end until you've had your next round's turn to use it or lose it. The Monk Stunning Strike means you get use out of it. You would never stun an ogre, and then by quirk of initiative, have the Stun end before it cost the ogre a turn. That's not RAI. Rather, if you go last and stun the Ogre, then go first the next round, the Ogre is still stunned until the end of the round. Otherwise, we'd get a result that is absurd. But, if you went first and stunned the ogre, then it lost its turn, the effect is tagged to end at the conclusion of the round. Otherwise, saves against effects like Hold, slow, and death saves are all checked at the end of the round because you don't roll initiative when you can't act.[/sblock]

Action / Die to Roll
No action, loaded crossbow 1st round only = +1
Dodge, Dash, Disengage = d4
Cantrip = d4
Unarmed or natural attack = d6
Use item, swap gear, misc action not listed = d6
Melee weapon attack = damage dice of weapon (One DM simply had all weapons go off their damage die, ranged included.)
Spell = d4 + spell dice* [sblock] I'm not sold on this if simplicity is a goal. Mearls had a simple d10 for spells. But I understand the concern. The higher the level of the spell, the more it impacts the entire game arena. In AD&D, each spell had its own speed. The Power Word spells were the fastest, so just because a spell was 9th level didn't mean they took the longest to cast. Another DM did escalating dice for the # of components (V, S,or M) the spell had. One component = d6, two = d8, all three = d10.[/sblock]

*Spell dice increase a step every 2 levels of the spell, starting at d4: levels 1-2 = +1d4; 3-4 = +d6; 5-6 = +d8; 7-8 = +d10, 9 = +d12

Special

Advantage, Feats, and Features: Advantage works as before, just take the better of the two rolls for you. Every feature or feat (Alert) that improves initiative decreases the die roll by 1 step, minimum d3 (e.g. 2d6 becomes d10, d4 becomes d3), and vice versa for disadvantage, max d20 (e.g. a 1 becomes d3). For spells, only the spell dice are ever affected. The core 1d4 never changes. [this assumes we stick with the spell dice, which add a layer of complication as per the above spoiler.]

Reach: I've really debated on how realistic to make reach. Any creature currently wielding a melee weapon or natural melee attack with at least 10' reach may opt to use its Attack action to strike first if an opponent without at least 10' reach enters a threatened square, regardless of initiative order. This can override any action the creature was going to take.[sblock]This gives no extra actions and has no effect if the creature has already acted. It's a simple rule to reflect the benefit of reach weapons in keeping foes at bay. If we wanted to get insanely realistic, we'd do what Hackmaster does and assign a "reach" score to each weapon, and while that's interesting, it's probably too much. But I can see a player claiming they have a greatsword against a dagger, shouldn't that count too? We're setting a bright line somewhere, and this is simple. As to creatures with reach greater than 10', there's no additional effect or benefit. [/sblock]

Delaying: Ready Action replaced with Delay. When your turn comes, you can choose to act on a later initiative count, either before or after another creature, or as an event occurs, as you declare.[sblock] It's similar to Ready, but not quite. If multiple creatures delay to the same turn, obviously whoever delayed first gets dibs to act. Of course, common sense applies. If you were holding your shot until the goblin shows its face and the goblin never does, you still get a turn, after the goblin.[/sblock]

Changing your Mind: So this is the biggie. Under Mearls and Speed Factor, you cannot. The entire purpose of declaring your action in advance was to avoid slowing the game down with decision making when your turn is up. You were using your sword, well then it's in your hand, find a way to use it. So this is the source of my greatest debate, but other DMs have said they homebrewed it in. When your turn rolls around, you can change your Action, but this requires you spend your Reaction for the round to do so. If you change your mind, you forfeit your current turn, roll initiative dice for the new actions, and add that to the current initiative. This will be your new turn. Which largely assures you'll go last.

Hypothetical Pros: It gives us the dynamic tension and lack of predictability we're looking for. It's simplistic in that you roll dice once, though learning curve will take a few sessions especially for casters. Note: the original Mearls system simply had d10 for spells, which would speed up play. Another DM did a d6, d8, or d10 depending on # of components (V, S, or M) The choice of action has major impact than our current system with replacement of the d20 by smaller dice and removal of the DEX modifier. I've never been sure how being more agile and lucky would somehow make a wizard "say" his spell faster.

Hypothetical Cons: Should ranged weapons get a huge advantage to go first? It's intentional apparently under the idea arrows move fast. [sblock] There's no way to satisfy everyone, but if it makes people feel better, there's plenty of historical literature and sites where people have tested out firing and reload rates of medieval weapons, and with a belt hook, a trained modern bowman could reload and fire one of those suckers in around 8 seconds. I'll say it again and again, if we think too much about physics in the fantasy D&D world, heads will explode.[/I] We still haven't completely solved that "weapon speed" is really "weapon reach" and that yes, if we are grappling, I can stab you several times before you can get your sword to bear, and grid combat is a mix of people fighting up close and dueling and blocking with their crossbow and all sorts of things that can't be satisfactorily accounted for.[/sblock]

Last pro/con concerns players who get knocked out in a round before they could act and then are healed back up (commonly called "whack-a-mole," "yo-yo effect," and every "Rocky" boxing movie ever made). In our current system, I've been allowing players a roll to see if they can act, but we don't have a "change your mind" provision where someone can heal you. So, in our current system before the homebrew rule, fighter gets knocked out before his turn. That sucks. Next round, he can't declare an action. He's unconscious. Cleric heals him. Then the troll knocks him out again. That's already 2 straight rounds he didn't get to act, and now at least a 3rd. My players don't like this, but they also understand the silliness of "whack-a-mole." I'm torn on this one. There needs to be a penalty for going down. If I make it too easy to get back into the fray, combats become silly and the tension of facing death at any moment is diminished.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Does movement affect your speed of action. For example in your system does attacking someone with a sward 5ft away get the same speed as a person moving 30ft and attacking with his sword?

5ekyu

Hero
As a fan of "action based resolution order ABRO systems (vs say the standard D&D Character Based Resolutions CBRO) where "what you do" mostly determines when it gets done (as opposed to who does it determined when it gets done) I must say that my experience with ABRo of the declare together and the resolve by action in a couple different systems says athat "change your mind" is:
1 - At conflict with the basic definitions of the system, - what it represents
2 - Incredibly subject to exploitation
3 - Prone to huge increases in time and delays (literally two action decision stages per person every round)

1 - The very basic core of declare and resolve by actions is that everyone is starting their actions at the start of the turn/round and the "resolution order" is when the actions have been completed - the work done - the effort spent. So when it comes down to "my turn to swing my axe" I have already done the swings and attacks and actions etc - spent the time - done the work - we are just now finishing up "how it turned out". Giving me the chance now at this point to declare a whole new set of actions - what does that mean I was doing? Sitting there admiring the daisies for that extra d8 or whatever it was?

2 - In most any system with "change your mind" mechanics, it becomes a matter of system-fu to find the right action to declare with the plan of "reactions" to change to what you really want to do. This is especially true if certain actions have "consequences" -
one example might be to "declare dodging" knowing that a big bad with a lot of firepower likely will go before me (based on prior choices in the combat) and then "change my mind" to "reckless attack" when my action comes after the BBG in this round. you are exploiting the "speed chart" so to speak but there are likely others at play - but it depends on the specifics of the resolution. Simple fact is it makes your initial declared action just a place holder - with the real and final decision coming later *after seeing other resolutions*.
3 - basically, you get the slow-down of declared actions as a group at the beginning and then hand each player a "normal decision stage" during the turn as well - just at the cost of a reaction. My experience with ABROs is that that "in the mid-stream change" is HUGE and it will be rare in a multi-facet combat encounter for you to go a turn without seeing it.

If your folks are having difficulties with keeping to choices made ahead of time - let me suggest this instead.

Whatever your vase init roll/score is - that is when people declare their actions - slowest to fastest - so higher init makes a more informed choice - then use the speed factor to adjudicate the order the actions complete.

So in this case - init is a combo of situational awareness and quick thinking - not the speed of the doing but the deciding - and the speed factor order simply represents time taken to "git 'er done."

Maybe some of this is helpful. maybe not.

But adding in a second "real" choose your actions step to each character is a bad thing in these kinds of resolution systems - worst of both worlds.

All that said, if you were going to do it, if i had a gun to my head - i would make it consume not "your reaction" but "your next turn and your reaction for this turn". You would be throwing away your work already done and making a hasty choice to "call up" your next round's effort. That makes it a costly decision.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
What if everyone rolled initiative as normal (using dex or Int per your system), and then their action for that round modifies that number. This gives players a basic feel for where they go in initiative, bit of they need to do something that requires them to move up in the initiative order for that round, they can make a new choice.

For example, not making an attack or casting a spell adds +4 to their initiative for that turn. Using the help action adds +2 to their initiative for that turn. Using an action to heal or stabilize an ally adds a +2 for that turn. Making multiple attacks with the attack action penalizes a -1 to initiative for each attack. Attempting grapples, trips, or other strategic actions that can be used as part of an attack action have no bonus or penalty. Casting a spell of 3rd level or higher has a penalty to initiative for that turn equal to the spell level -2.

This allows for dynamic initiative, encourages team work, encourages strategy, etc.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
1. Removed all colors. Sorry 'bout that, on a different computer and its font has a black background.

2. Does movement affect your speed of action? Movement has no impact on initiative like default.

3. What if everyone rolled initiative as normal (using dex or Int per your system), and then their action for that round modifies that number? I've explored conversion of Hackmaster's "count-up" initiative where you have a starting initiative, and from there, your actions determine when you can take another. It's on my "to do" list. To make that system count, though, they use weapon speeds and casting speeds, which would be a monumental task for D&D unfortunately because the two systems operate completely differently, and the last thing I'd want is to have quick weapons used to spam bonus actions and sneak attacks and the like. I'm still looking a homebrewed attempt ("to do list").

All that said, if you were going to do it, if i had a gun to my head - i would make it consume not "your reaction" but "your next turn and your reaction for this turn". You would be throwing away your work already done and making a hasty choice to "call up" your next round's effort. That makes it a costly decision.
Excellent points. It'd defeat one of the very purposes and allow significant abuse.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The biggest gripe my players have is when variable initiative makes a bad situation suck even worse:

Ghoul #1 attacks first and crits fighter. Fighter unconscious. Cleric declared she was casting Shield of Faith and using her mace. In the old system, she could have chosen to heal Fighter. Fighter's turn now comes up, but he can't act so he loses it. In the old system, he might have acted.

Round 2, cleric wins initiative and casts healing word. Fighter is awake, but he didn't get to declare an action because he was unconscious and therefore technically has no initiative. Ghoul #1 attacks him and down Fighter goes again, no turn. Fighter fails death save.

Round 3, Ghoul wins initiative, crits fighter, causing 2 death saves. Party death.

So that's another concern. In such a system, do we have provisions for Round 2 for the fighter to, at the least, have a shot to act? It'd have to be homebrew. As written, both default systems say not. In 3rd edition, you'd still roll initiative and get to act if you were restored, but in a system where initiative is based off your action, that's iffy. I'm debating about, in this system, whether we could get away with a flat d20 roll. If you get restored, you can Act, but only involving what you were doing when you went down. So if you had your hammer in hand and had declared you're using it, you could do that. If you were casting Mirror Image and had worked the spell in your head, you could do that, but not another spell or another weapon.

Nebulous

Legend
Well, we have been using an action card initiative system for probably 3 years now because I hated the old default way we had been doing it forever. I love it and my players love it. I first read about it here on EN, and refined it some. The hardest part was creating the deck and laminating the cards, but once that is done you're set. PCs and Monsters shuffle the cards each round, and you add bonus cards for high Dex or a Feat. I've never seen more than 3 cards for a PC.

It creates tension each round because initiative changes, and there are no dice or numbers to keep track of.

5ekyu

Hero
1. Removed all colors. Sorry 'bout that, on a different computer and its font has a black background.

2. Does movement affect your speed of action? Movement has no impact on initiative like default.

3. What if everyone rolled initiative as normal (using dex or Int per your system), and then their action for that round modifies that number? I've explored conversion of Hackmaster's "count-up" initiative where you have a starting initiative, and from there, your actions determine when you can take another. It's on my "to do" list. To make that system count, though, they use weapon speeds and casting speeds, which would be a monumental task for D&D unfortunately because the two systems operate completely differently, and the last thing I'd want is to have quick weapons used to spam bonus actions and sneak attacks and the like. I'm still looking a homebrewed attempt ("to do list").

4. Excellent points. It'd defeat one of the very purposes and allow significant abuse.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The biggest gripe my players have is when variable initiative makes a bad situation suck even worse:

Ghoul #1 attacks first and crits fighter. Fighter unconscious. Cleric declared she was casting Shield of Faith and using her mace. In the old system, she could have chosen to heal Fighter. Fighter's turn now comes up, but he can't act so he loses it. In the old system, he might have acted.

Round 2, cleric wins initiative and casts healing word. Fighter is awake, but he didn't get to declare an action because he was unconscious and therefore technically has no initiative. Ghoul #1 attacks him and down Fighter goes again, no turn. Fighter fails death save.

Round 3, Ghoul wins initiative, crits fighter, causing 2 death saves. Party death.

So that's another concern. In such a system, do we have provisions for Round 2 for the fighter to, at the least, have a shot to act? It'd have to be homebrew. As written, both default systems say not. In 3rd edition, you'd still roll initiative and get to act if you were restored, but in a system where initiative is based off your action, that's iffy. I'm debating about, in this system, whether we could get away with a flat d20 roll. If you get restored, you can Act, but only involving what you were doing when you went down. So if you had your hammer in hand and had declared you're using it, you could do that. If you were casting Mirror Image and had worked the spell in your head, you could do that, but not another spell or another weapon.

Well, yes, to their concerns that is what happens when you have a declare-work-resolve system.

your "response" to things that happen *this round* have to be done *next round* making all reactivity a "turn behind" the normal system way.

Also, yes, with any random vary round by round init, you get into the double-tap problem where one side or foe gets two "goes" between another character not getting any - yup - nature of the beast. Thats what random gets you - sometimes screwed - sometimes gold - usually just wobbly.

Variety, unpredictability, uncertainty etc etc all come with a price and that price may well be "random overpowers choice"

The question comes down to "what game do we want" as opposed to "lets do it this way but try and nerf every bad result"

i ran a 5e game for 18 months with no random init at all.

System was simple.

Start of combat players chose "first or last"
if they chose first, a PC had to go first. then it was a foe, then a pc, then a foe etc with one foe left to go last.*
After that first turn, the init order was set for the combat.
this left timing and tactics around that completely as choice for both sides - no random - just two-way choices.

If they chose Last - an NPC has to start and they alternated but one PC went last every turn.*

* This could result in a pile-up of "next to last" if the sides were uneven.

Worked like a charm and was intened to do several things...
Remove randomness from init order and make it choice driven - allowing coordination and planning to be easier - less kludgy
Keep focus on meaningful choices.
reduce to a degree the number of "unanswered" actions - either way.
speed things up - no init rolls to make or track - just chosen order. "Who's next" and marking dow the turn 1 order.

Wasn't a perfect system, but we rolled with it and it served us well - did exactly what we wanted - choice over random - decision over dice - planning (ready actions) over unpredictability (random re-roll) etc.

had we started griping every time this resulted in a bad tactical outcome - enemy uses the "last" to stun your "first" letting the big bad at the end and the number two second worst gang up on the first - yeah that happens - benefit of last - well thats just how "choices work" - both sides get them and use them and nope we dont need to rework the rules for choices being what they are.

No more than a decision of "we want random init rerolled by round and by action" needs to be one where you start adding in more and more rules to avoid and mitigate all those "these dice sorta screwed us over" occurances.

if you choose with intent to add more "random" then "what it was like before we did that" is no longer a valid comparison - this is what you asked for.

i mean, the 5e d20 init roll is just one way - not "they way" that all must be balanced against. heck there is a huge difference in gameplay 5e depending on whether you roll init once or once per round.

i mean, wasn't "generate tension, drama, and unpredictability " one of the core parts? Well, the cleric not getting to do things as reliably as quickly in reaction as they once did does all that. I mean, unpredictability hits directly at "efficiency".

The bad dice results and the good dice results cut both ways so when you give the dice more power cuz thats more dramatic to you, roll with it and enjoy.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Good points. D&D's tension is reliant on dice rolls, that moment when one roll might make the difference between life and death for the entire party. We've been there in the past, seen that cheer when that Natural 20 improbably comes up just when you needed it, and that crushing failed save (as long as I don't roll a 99% or higher, I'm fine...).

So the default static initiative (and looking back 3rd edition) allowed players to get back into the action if the disabling condition went away before their initiative. The issue is that disabling effects in a "declare-act" system mean the choice is taken from the player and you don't roll initiative. At the end of the round, you're making a save for your turn. And there's no provision if that changes. That's something I haven't come up with a satisfactory answer for. Let's assume I do say if the condition is removed before we get to the end of the round, you get to act.

Should we allow anything? The last thing a player was going to do? I don't like the idea a player who is blacked out and comes to somehow can react and think more clearly about what to do than a player who has been conscious and engaged in the battle for a few rounds.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I’ve been considering a similar Greyhawk initiative derivative for my upcoming campaign. We’ve been using side initative for years, but I’m looking for a different feel for our next game.

You only ever roll one die, if you perform more than one action, you use the highest die. In general, effects that improve initiative allow you to drop down one die size. Turns come up counting from lowest to highest.

d4 - Misc quick action
d6 - Melee attack/Quick-loading ranged attack
d8 - Movement/Misc more involved
d10 - Slow-loading ranged attack
d12 - Spellcasting

You declare your general intent at the start of the round and you don’t get to change that. You do get to cancel your action though and substitute it for a dodge action OR you can declare next round’s action to go off on initative count zero. You are always allowed to cancel your action in such a way.

If more than one creature acts on the same count, the intent is to try to resolve it simultaneously. We’ll see how that goes.

Effects, in general, last until the affected creatures next turn, saving throws happening at the end of their turn. Outliers will be adjudicated during play.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads