• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Initiative Tracker mobile app

Hawkes

First Post
Working on an app called Combat Counter Mobile for Android (and eventually iOS, I hope) and wanted to get peoples' feedback on features they would like to see in this type of program. So far I've either implemented or am working towards the following:

- Initiative and round count
- Hit point counter option for all combatants
- Condition tracking and effect durations
- Enter combatants in any order and sort descending or ascending.
- Choose static initiative values or use bonus + die roll.
- Option to re-roll initiative each round (Ex: 2nd edition)
- Condensed stat block entry including Ability Scores, Armor Class, attack bonus, relevant skills, saving throws, etc.
- Save and load encounter data to file system
- Support for multiple rule sets: 2e, 3.x, 4th, Pathfinder, and possibly d6 (ala Shadowrun) and d10 (ala Whitewolf) systems.

Two preliminary screenshots:

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

Any other suggestions? I want to make this something that's incredibly convenient and simple to use and learn.

Pinotage

Explorer
Looks good. What would be useful would be if the app stored not only a specific encounter data but a database of creature's that you can add to an encounter when needed. So app allows you to 'Create New Encounter', 'Select Combattents' from a list of stored ones, and start the combat by rolling initiative. How does it work if player's roll dice - do you have to update manually hp and conditions, or can you simply state combatents and the dice roll and the program automatically does the rest? I.E. can this take care of DM dice rolls (saves, attacks, etc.). Looks promising though.

Pinotage

Xphile

Explorer
I would be more interested in it if it was system agnostic. Mostly because I tend to play a lot of the RPGs not on that list, such as Savage Worlds, Dragon Age, Bounty Head Bebop.

I don't mind doing some work to define how to calculate initiative, but I've yet to find a program that allows you to dynamically do such things.

TheClone

First Post
I personally prefer a simple and feature limited approach. I'd use such an app as the GM for our online Skype-based game, where everyone has his character locally as PDF or printed out and rolls are made within MapTool or as a GM for games at the table. So in any case, the players have their stuff in front of themselves and for them I just need to put their character at the right place in the initiative order, maybe not even noting down their initiative value. They'll never roll within the app.

For npcs, I'd maybe bother to add their initiative bonus and have them automatically roll a d20 when I say "start combat", but I wouldn't mind just putting them on the right spot in the initiative order.

So, I would not use stat blocks, nor would I (most probably) use HP tracking. It's too simple just noting those values down on my printed stat card. Opening the keyboard on my mobile and putting that in is much slower. I'd also most likely not use hte conditions tracker although that's more of a nice feature. Because I'd prefer to have my players see what conditions each monster has, because it is of tactical importance and should be easily visible to their characters.

Though I wouldn't use many features I'd highly appreciate having an ini-tracker on my mobile. Writing down ini and keeping it on top of my paper pile is always a bit of a pain in the ass.

Your screenshots do look quite nice. If there would be a simple drag and drop option to rearrange the different creatures and those "advanced" feature don't get in the way, I'd definitely give it a try.

As for being software developer myself and having a knack for Usability stuff, I can't help but propose this: You have your list of creatures, just as on your screenshots in a sorted list. If you now click & hold one of them, if becomes floating and the list changes to a "initiative ladder", which means you have a numbered scale on the left side and can drop your creature at it's initiative value. The value above which it floats should be highlighted and since I think the screen space will be too less for exact dropping, the scale should scroll up or down when dragging the creature to top or bottom. The other creatures should be displayed at their current position. By that you should be able to easily and quickly(!) drop each creature at their initiative value. Should be much faster than typing their initiative value. When dropping the creature the scale vanishes and the creatures are again displayed in their relative order without any gaps, regardless of how big the difference in their initiative values is, because once the order is fixed, the actual values don't matter anymore. Unless you're playing AD&D or something and values change later. But only than you again need the values.

Sorry for interfering with your "design space", but I hope you may be able to take an idea or two from it. By the way, is there already a beta on the market?

Filcher

First Post
Awesome! Ipad, please!

Also, consider calling out the monsters/NPCs in a different font and color, so that the PC, Serpentor, isn't lost amid the Serpentmen monsters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads