• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inopportune Migraine- Penalty for flavor

Laurel

First Post
Not sure about balance on a possible character flaw idea, or even if this could be counted as a flaw:

Inopportune Migraine

Anytime a 5 or lower is rolled on the dice the character is incapacitated for 1d4 rounds. This effects all rolls for attacks, skill checks, and saving throws.

If a one is rolled on the attack roll a second roll is still required. If it is determined a critical miss, the normal penalties still occur above the incapacitation.

Any thoughts/ideas/comments are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Wystan

Explorer
That is a MAJOR flaw, a headache 20% of the time at random?

My Suggestion:
Innoportune Migraines

At the start of any day roll a d20, on a 1-5 the character will suffer the following effects until the next day or a successful First Aid/Healing Check DC35.
-2 to all saves, -1 to all attacks, -5 to concentration checks, and -2 to all other skill checks.

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
I think, based on how flaws are described in Unearthed Arcana (the D&D supplement from whence they came), that this probably wouldn't work as a flaw.

One of the guidelines given for custom flaws is that they must apply to characters at all times, rather than being "hit or miss" in nature.

Also, it's helpful to remember that flaws can sometimes have an in-character description that fits (but is not necessarily specific to) the in-game statistical adjustment.

For example, you might say that her intermittent and painful headaches have led her to become Inattentive (-4 to spot and listen). Or perhaps they've made her Murky Eyed (roll ranged miss chances twice) as they're so painful they've blurred her vision. They might just be the symptom of her generally fragile nature (-3 to Fort Saves). They may even have made her pathetic (-2 to an ability score).

Or perhaps:

Crippling Pain
You take a -4 penalty on concentration checks, and your base speed is reduced by 10 feet.

Laurel

First Post
Wystan said:
That is a MAJOR flaw, a headache 20% of the time at random?

My Suggestion:
Innoportune Migraines

At the start of any day roll a d20, on a 1-5 the character will suffer the following effects until the next day or a successful First Aid/Healing Check DC35.
-2 to all saves, -1 to all attacks, -5 to concentration checks, and -2 to all other skill checks.
Thanks Wystan! I like your idea and may go with that for balancing things evenly, but the flavor I was hoping for was specific moments of intense migraines.

Would knocking the original idea down to just if the person roles a 1 help at all?

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
I think, based on how flaws are described in Unearthed Arcana (the D&D supplement from whence they came), that this probably wouldn't work as a flaw.

One of the guidelines given for custom flaws is that they must apply to characters at all times, rather than being "hit or miss" in nature.

Also, it's helpful to remember that flaws can sometimes have an in-character description that fits (but is not necessarily specific to) the in-game statistical adjustment.

For example, you might say that her intermittent and painful headaches have led her to become Inattentive (-4 to spot and listen). Or perhaps they've made her Murky Eyed (roll ranged miss chances twice) as they're so painful they've blurred her vision. They might just be the symptom of her generally fragile nature (-3 to Fort Saves). They may even have made her pathetic (-2 to an ability score).

Or perhaps:

Crippling Pain
You take a -4 penalty on concentration checks, and your base speed is reduced by 10 feet.
Cool!
Isn't Murky Eyed with the stipulation that it only happens when an opponent has concelment? (That was actually the one I was going from) I thought I had remembered another one that had these stipulations on it, but I'm not sure.

hmmm..... have to keep thinking.....

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
Cool!
Isn't Murky Eyed with the stipulation that it only happens when an opponent has concelment? (That was actually the one I was going from) I thought I had remembered another one that had these stipulations on it, but I'm not sure.

hmmm..... have to keep thinking.....
Right - because concealment is the only situation in D&D that causes a % miss chance. :)

takyris

First Post
If I were going to go with migraines and not have it be a general-time flaw (like the excellent suggestions along the lines of -4 to Spot and Listen or -4 to Concentration and -2 on Reflex saves), I'd have it be something that popped up with specific triggers. Like combat, for example.

"The migraine occurs every time the character feels physically threatened. The first time in each combat that the character is attacked directly or suffers damage in combat, the character must also make a Fortitude save (DC15). Success indicates that the character is Shaken for 2d6 rounds. Failure indicates that the character is Nauseated for 2d6 rounds and Shaken for another 2d6 minutes."

Wystan

Explorer
Laurel said:
Thanks Wystan! I like your idea and may go with that for balancing things evenly, but the flavor I was hoping for was specific moments of intense migraines.

Would knocking the original idea down to just if the person roles a 1 help at all?

Still very random for the player, I know that I would never select it as that is still 5% per roll chance.

Laurel

First Post
takyris said:
"The migraine occurs every time the character feels physically threatened. The first time in each combat that the character is attacked directly or suffers damage in combat, the character must also make a Fortitude save (DC15). Success indicates that the character is Shaken for 2d6 rounds. Failure indicates that the character is Nauseated for 2d6 rounds and Shaken for another 2d6 minutes."
This is the best for balance and flavor so far, and I know I'm looking for something specific.

Now to see what the DM thinks of it :)

Thank you again everyone!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads