• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Input would be welcome...

GreatCthulhu

First Post
This is the basic draft of a horror-oriented setting. Please give me opinions, suggestions, everything you can think of. It's still in the making but I can use any and all input I can get

Once, the world of Sharaa was much like many other worlds. Several races thrived on it, among them the Rathi, cat-like inhabitants of the steppes and jungles in the south, the Faen, desert and forest-dwellers with a mystical bond to nature and the short, gruff Ashkar, natural sailors with the ability to drink sea water. And humans, of course. Ambitious, adaptable humans. Forging many empires, warring with each other, prospering under the watchful eye of the Twelve, the gods that had created the world in the First Dance. Monsters were unheard of, not even the darkest depths of the world were home to anything worse but the occasional dire animal.

Magic was known but lacked the power it had on so many other worlds. Yes, a few were gifted with the ability to wield either arcane magic or the powers of the gods.
But these powers were severly limited. Priests could heal basic wounds and wizards were able to throw balls of energy at their foes or turn invisible...but not much more. The gods knew that too much magic in the hands of mortals could lead to huge catastrophes.
All that changed when the Stranger arrived.

No one knows where he came from or what exactly he was...a god, more than a god or less than a deity...or something else altogether. One day, he just arrived in the midst of a divine congregation...and with a few words, he drove an entire pantheon insane.
Thus began the Dance of Madness.
Entire populations were warped as the gods decided to remake them in their new twisted image. Ordinary animals were bombarded with pure magic until they turned into slavering monsters...mountains were shattered and seas turned to pure acid. Magic was suddenly loosened into the world in massive amounts...and no one knew how to wield it properly. Priests went insane from one moment to the other, committing indescribable cruelties...
And everyone feared that the final doom for the world was at hand.
But one hero changed it. One man, a human named Orlon, found a way to seize control of the flood of magic loosened in the world.
In a desperate feat unparalleled not only on this but many other worlds, he forged a seal, a mighty arcane construct designed for only one thing...to seal the world off from the influence of the gods.
He and thirteen others saved the world....or did they?
It had changed irrevocably. Empires had shattered, the churches were almost nonexistant. Monsters now roamed entire countries and the dark corners of the forests now were home to even worse things...
And magic has come to the world, allowing mighty feats hitherto unknown.
Fourty years have passed since the Dance of Madness has ended.
Priests have started to channel the powers of their gods again, adhering to principles their deities once stood for...but not all are able to withstand the touch of madness contact with the divine brings.
The relations between humans and the other races are strained. As a mutable and adaptable race, humans are the stock from which most of the horrible monsters in the world spring from...and while humans are envious of the other races who survived the Dance mostly unscathed, the other races react to this open envy and distrust with hostility.
And then there are the priests of the Stranger who try to subvert the whole world to the same madness their lord brought upon the gods....

In this world, madness is as much a force as are good and evil and some people have begun to call upon the madness that suffuses the gods and now their world. While risky, this enables them to call upon the darkest things lurking in our minds, the Horrors...

Well, that's it for now...as I said, I'd be grateful for any reply.

Tangent Loki

First Post
Well Written!

how will the system work? Are you using standard d&d or will you be using some house rules (as well as sanity I take it?)

If I were running this setting I would run few combats, it would be a more investigative type of things.

A woman goes missing from the village and then we have the searching for clues, the trail that leads into the dark woods, where a few small 'witchling' goblins have laid a trap. They are in cahoots with the 'changed' townsman that has kidnapped th3e woman, wherein we will have more clues sought.

I guess I'd kind of play up a Warhammer fantasy aspect of 'chaos'.

Some people are only slightly touched by madness. Or are touched in such a way that is not readily apparent.

I think horror lends itself to nasty wigglies that run away into the night, and continue watching you beneath the blood drenched ferns an a cold and bitter summers night, the acrid tang of your own sweat the fills your nostrils overriding the scent of decay.

I would also probably end up over-gearing the party, eventually.

madness touched weapons of incredible power... against the right foes.

But all in all I am impressed.

good show!

GreatCthulhu

First Post
Thanks. As I said, it's a rough draft for now.
I will use a few slightly changed mechanics regarding magic. Divine magic will come at a certain cost (loss of sanity corresponding to the power of the spell) and arcane magic is also a bit risky since all the spells we know are not by any means finalized but exist as rough drafts in the minds and spellbooks of several spellcasters across the world.
I am also working on a new basic class, the dementia summoner, someone who draws upon the madness and magic prevalent in the world and creates certain creaures from it.
As for combat vs. investigation: Both will have their place, depending on the wishes of the group, of course. The setting can incorporate both easily.

mseds99

First Post
Love the setting

Wow, wish I could play in that setting.

A question for you: what is the campaign arc for the characters? Is it going to be epic in scope or is the campaign storyline going to be in the background?

I've run homebrew campigns similar to the one you mentioned and always had the PCs affect the world in a tangible way. The next campaign we run is in the same setting and the effects of the previous campaign's characters provide the backdrop for the next one. I found that the players love that their characters effected the world in some way and it provides great conversation when oe charcatre tells another...."that looks that way because Grimli smashed the dragon on the face, my old character was awesome!"

Just my $.02, beside that looks great. Mechanically, I don't have much to add beside that you HAVE to use Lords of Madness (best WoTC book ever) to get the wierd creepy feel.

Steel General

First Post
Nicely done for what you are referring to as a "rough draft". You definitely seem to have a specific direction in mind. WHich at this early point seems quite interesting.

I always preferred homebrew campaigns to the published settings (but I also enjoy playing in those as well), though for my own homebrews I can't help but be influenced by settings such as the Forgotten Realms.

Good luck with it and keep us informed as to your progress.

theskyfullofdust

First Post
I'd definately use the Stranger's priests as the main bad guys, working in secret to bring forth further madness; maybe seeking a way to break the seal that blocks the world from the god's.

Sounds fun in any case.

GreatCthulhu

First Post
That was the idea. That would also put them in direct opposition to the Orlonites.

The descendants of the thirteen companions who helped Orlon forge the seal are bound to it, both blessed and cursed by the action of their ancestors. The Seal grants them an increased amount of defense against the magic worked by priests, but it drains their life-force prematurely, causing them to age faster. None of the descendants have lived past the age of 30.

The Orlonites themselves are an organisation with only one goal - to protect the Seal at all cost. Mostly, that means monitoring the descendants, making sure the bloodline does not die out. Bu it also means bringing the descendants to heed, in case they try and disconnect themselves from the Seal.
The Orlonites have a few armed forces to directly combat the servants of the Stranger as well, but theirs is a war fought in secrecy.

For this idea to work, I might need to add a few years to the timeline, placing the campaign beginning about 60 or more years after the Dance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads