• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inquisitor - Your Experiences

Jadeite

Hero
Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for that link to your guide, Jadeite. The character is finished...

I went Half-Elf and put my ability score bonus into strength. His stats from 15 point buy:

Str - 16
Dex - 14
Con - 12
Int - 10
Wis - 14
Cha - 8

He's wearing studded leather and using a Falcata in two hands. I replaced the Half-Elf's adaptability with Exotic Weapon Training. I also picked up a light crossbow for flavor. I'm using the Repose domain and am worshiping Pharasma. I avoided the Charisma skills and took Toughness as my first feat. I took Shield of Faith and Expeditious Retreat as my two level-1 spells. My traits give me +2 initiative and better armor check penalty.

I think that's it!

Looks good. I'm not a fan of the repose domain, but I think it's better to play an inquisitor of a deity that fits your concept instead of choosing a god just because he offers the 'best' weapon and domain.

tylermalan

First Post
I felt the same way about the traits (all the good ones have to do with religion), but I decided to pick ones that best fit my theme AND are decent. There are some decent combat ones too, I think.

tylermalan

First Post
I played the first session with this character last night. It went pretty well! We were only in two combats, one of which I ended with a successful Intimidate check, the other of which I ended with an almost critical hit!

The class actually does seem pretty versatile, though most of my numbers just weren't very high.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
My experience with Inquisitors is that they're basically a Bard on Ranger 'roids. They're a fantastic support class. Love 'em.

I'm currently playing a Duergar Inquisitor of Asmodeus in a PbP here on EnWorld. Good times.

My only 'beef' is that they're called Inquisitors. They're clearly more Van Helsing, less Witch Hunter... I'd have to check my thesaurus for a more suitable name. ;)

neofax

First Post
I took Shield of Faith and Expeditious Retreat as my two level-1 spells.
You don't take spells like other classes as an Inquisitor. You can cast spontaneously any spell from your spell list up to your allotment. This and Monster Lore (IMHO) are the best features of the class. Find what it's weaknesses are and shut it down with your buffs/debuffs to let the other party members clean up.

Hammerhead

Explorer
You don't take spells like other classes as an Inquisitor. You can cast spontaneously any spell from your spell list up to your allotment. This and Monster Lore (IMHO) are the best features of the class. Find what it's weaknesses are and shut it down with your buffs/debuffs to let the other party members clean up.

Um, no.

Table 2–4: Inquisitor Spells Known (p41)
Spells Known
Level 0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
1st 4 2 — — — — —
2nd 5 3 — — — — —
3rd 6 4 — — — — —
4th 6 4 2 — — — —
5th 6 4 3 — — — —
6th 6 4 4 — — — —
7th 6 5 4 2 — — —
8th 6 5 4 3 — — —
9th 6 5 4 4 — — —
10th 6 5 5 4 2 — —
11th 6 6 5 4 3 — —
12th 6 6 5 4 4 — —
13th 6 6 5 5 4 2 —
14th 6 6 6 5 4 3 —
15th 6 6 6 5 4 4 —
16th 6 6 6 5 5 4 2
17th 6 6 6 6 5 4 3
18th 6 6 6 6 5 4 4
19th 6 6 6 6 5 5 4
20th 6 6 6 6 6 5 5

neofax

First Post
Um, no.

Table 2–4: Inquisitor Spells Known (p41)
Spells Known
Level 0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
1st 4 2 — — — — —
2nd 5 3 — — — — —
3rd 6 4 — — — — —
4th 6 4 2 — — — —
5th 6 4 3 — — — —
6th 6 4 4 — — — —
7th 6 5 4 2 — — —
8th 6 5 4 3 — — —
9th 6 5 4 4 — — —
10th 6 5 5 4 2 — —
11th 6 6 5 4 3 — —
12th 6 6 5 4 4 — —
13th 6 6 5 5 4 2 —
14th 6 6 6 5 4 3 —
15th 6 6 6 5 4 4 —
16th 6 6 6 5 5 4 2
17th 6 6 6 6 5 4 3
18th 6 6 6 6 5 4 4
19th 6 6 6 6 5 5 4
20th 6 6 6 6 6 5 5

From the Paizo PRD:
"An inquisitor casts divine spells drawn from the inquisitor spell list. She can cast any spell she knows at any time without preparing it ahead of time, assuming she has not yet used up her allotment of spells per day for the spell's level. "

tylermalan

First Post

As Hammerhead mentioned, this is incorrect. An Inquisitor casts spells like a divine Sorcerer, NOT a spontaneous Cleric.

neofax

First Post
As Hammerhead mentioned, this is incorrect. An Inquisitor casts spells like a divine Sorcerer, NOT a spontaneous Cleric.
Dictionary.com:

spon·ta·ne·ous/spänˈtānēəs/Adjective

1. Performed or occurring without premeditation or external stimulus

Paizo PRD:
"An inquisitor casts divine spells drawn from the inquisitor spell list. She can cast any spell she knows at any time without preparing it ahead of time, assuming she has not yet used up her allotment of spells per day for the spell's level."

I am pretty sure without preparing ahead of time = sponatneous.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Shield of Faith isn't bad. Not sure how much use you'll get out of expeditious retreat, though, and with its duration, you can get by with a wand or scrolls of it pretty well. You may want to swap it out later.

Some other good level 1 spells to get early on: Ear-Piercing Scream, Bless, True Strike, Sanctuary (mostly for scouting, though by RAW I think you can use Intimidate w/o losing the spell).
Useful later on but not right away: Lend Judgement, Wrath.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads