Insight's Dark Sun: Burning Sands Campaign [OOC]

Insight

Adventurer
I warned my master not to send men into that abandoned salt mine, but my master never listens to me. Not in matters of wealth and greed. For his greed is that of a thousand men and knows no bounds. I love my master, though he despises me and my kind. I know that one day, I will have his respect. I know one day, he will free me. For now, I must content myself with languishing by his side, enduring the torturous heat of the burning sands, living the life of a slave of House Njeer, watching the men toil day and night in the Ranun Salt Mines for the man with the whip. One day, we will all be free...

DARK SUN: BURNING SANDS

This is the official Out of Character (OOC) and Recruitment thread for the Dark Sun: Burning Sands campaign, starting soon here at EN World. Initially, this thread will provide prospective players with the information needed to create and submit characters for the game. Once Player Characters (PCs) have been selected, this thread will become the OOC thread for the game. A Rogue's Gallery (RG) thread will be created as a repository for the game's PCs and an In Character (IC) thread will be used to run the game.

Character Roster
In-Character Thread 1

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Character Creation Guidelines

The following are rules and guidelines pertaining to the creation of Player Characters for the Dark Sun: Burning Sands game.

Dark Sun: Burning Sands begins play at level 1.

0. CHARACTER CONCEPT
Dark Sun: Burning Sands begins in the Ivory Triangle's Rarun Salt Mines. Each of the PCs is a slave to House Njeer and works in the mines or surrounding lands in some capacity. Whatever your character's backstory, it ends here and and as a slave. It will be up to your characters to change their situation, if they wish to do so.

All character concepts for this game must fit into this situation. You are relatively free to come up with whatever reasoning you wish to explain how your character became a slave and found himself in this predicament. You can have been a slave for as long as you wish (within reason). You are also free to describe what sort of "job" your character has been doing at the salt mine.

1. RACE & CLASS
Please see below for a list of the new Dark Sun races as well as the changes to existing D&D 4E races as found on Athas. Only those standard races listed below are available as Player Characters and I am going to restrict Drow, Eladrin, Genasi, Halflings, Kalashtar, and Minotaurs. There won't be more than one of the preceding group in the party at any one time - and there may not be any! If you want to play one of these races, you'd better come up with a compelling character concept.

Note that DIVINE characters are not available AT ALL. Arcane characters, because of their defiling ability, are hated and sometimes hunted down and killed. That doesn't mean you can't play an arcane character, but be aware of the potential consequences if you are discovered using your powers. There's no change to martial, primal, or psionic characters.

2. THEME
Themes are new to Dark Sun and will eventually become part of the rest of the D&D game. In essence, a theme is an extra set of powers or potential powers available to any class and represents a sort of background for the character. While I am not going to list the abilities of each of the Dark Sun themes, I have listed them below:

Athasian Minstrel, Dune Trader, Elemental Priest, Gladiator, Noble Adept, Primal Guardian, Templar, Veiled Alliance, Wasteland Nomad, and Wilder.

Despite your choice, as above, your character is now a slave to House Njeer. Thus, your choice of theme serves as a sort of backstory and possibly as future development.

If you need assistance in choosing a theme, PM me.

3. ABILITY SCORES
Ability scores are generated using the standard 22-point method as described in the PHB. Racial ability modifiers are applied after the point buy.

4. BACKGROUND
Your character may have any background in the "General" category. If you have access to the Character Builder, you can find a list of these. Otherwise, you would need to look through the PHB2, PHB3, and the various "Power" books. Some backgrounds also appear in Dragon Magazine. The DSCS has quite a few backgrounds as well. If you're not sure what background to take, PM me and we'll figure something out.

5. SKILLS
Only two skills really bear mentioning here: Endurance and Religion. Endurance is particularly handy in Dark Sun because of the outdoor travel in the blistering heat. It is a skilled used in a lot of outdoor skill challenges, and I recommend getting it trained if you can. Religion is an odd skill because the gods have been gone for so long. Your character can still be trained in Religion, but its use will change slightly. It is likely that Religion will be used to know about matters of the Sorcerer-Kings and their Templars, and possibly something about the various ancient temples and shrines found throughout Athas.

6. FEATS
Most feats from a WOTC source are legal - for now. I reserve the right to ban anything deemed game-breaking (which honestly isn't much, but I thought I should mention the possibility). Nothing setting-specific will be allowed (so, no dragonmarks, no spell-scarred feats, etc). Bloodline and lineage feats are also prohibited. We'll discuss anything else that crops up.

7. POWERS
All legal powers from a WOTC source are available. Keep in mind that you will receive an extra power from your theme and that you can swap powers between your class and theme.

8. EQUIPMENT
Your characters, because they are slaves, start with NO personal equipment. You will have plenty of chances to acquire equipment as the game goes along. You also start play with no money.

9. MISCELLANY
Your character needs a name, obviously. You should also decide where he's from. If he's from a city-state, which one. Also, list your character's physical appearance, especially any curious or identifying marks.

10. WILD TALENT
Once your character is finalized, I will roll randomly for your Wild Talent. If something comes up that would have made it too easy for you to escape your servile state, it will be re-rolled.

Also, come up with one thing - it could be anything - that makes your character unique.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
What You Must Know of Athas

The following are condensed versions of what is found in the Dark Sun Campaign Guide for 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons:

THE WORLD OF ATHAS
The World is a Desert
Athas is a hot, arid planet covered with endless seas of dunes, lifeless salt flats, stony wastes, rocky badlands, thorny scrub lands, and worse. In this forbidding world, cities and villages exist only in a few oases or verdant plains.

The World is Savage
Life on Athas is brutal and short. Bloodthirsty raiders, greedy slavers, and hordes of inhuman savages overrun the deserts and wastelands. The cities are little better; each chokes in the grip of an ageless tyrant.

Metal is Scarce
Most arms and armor are made of bone, stone, wood, and other such materials. Mail or plate armor exists only in the treasuries of the sorcerer-kings. Steel blades are almost priceless and are weapons that many heroes never see during their lifetimes.

Arcane Magic Defiles the World
The reckless use of arcane magic during ancient wars reduced Athas to a wasteland. To cast an arcane spell, one must gather power from the living world nearby. Plants wither to black ash, crippling pain wracks animals and people, and the soil is sterilized; nothing can grow in that spot again.

Sorcerer-Kings Rule the City-States
Terrible defilers of immense power rule all but one of the city-states. These mighty spellcasters have held their thrones for centuries; no one alive remembers a time before the sorcerer-kings.

The Gods are Silent
Long ago, when the planet was green, the brutal might of the primordials overcame the gods. Today, Athas is a world without deities. There are no clerics, no paladins, and no prophets or religious orders. Old shrines and crumbling temples lie amid the ancient ruins, testimony to a time when the gods spoke to the people of Athas.

Fierce Monsters Roam the World
The desert planet has its own deadly ecology. Athas has no cattle, swine, or horses; instead, people tend flocks of erdlus, ride on kanks or crodlus, and draw wagons with inixes and mekillots. Wild creatures such as lions, bears, and wolves are nonexistent*. In their place are terrors such as the id fiend, the baazrag, and the tembo.

Familar Races Aren't What You Expect
Typical fantasy stereotypes don't apply to Athasian heroes. See below for more information on Dark Sun races.

* It is clear that such creatures did exist, at one time. Some city-states and ancient temples even make reference to them.

THE RACES OF ATHAS
The Dark Sun races new to D&D 4th edition are the Mul and the Thri-Kreen.

Mul
Muls are half-dwarves, descended from the union of a human and a dwarf. They have the stature, agility, and mental flexibility of humankind, coupled with the physical resilience and endurance of dwarves - a rare combination of qualities that makes muls more than a simple blend of the two races. Because they are strong, tough, and blessed with fantastic endurance, muls are highly prized as slaves. In fact, most muls are born into slavery.

Ability Scores: +2 to Constitution, choose from +2 to either Strength or Wisdom
Skill Bonuses: +2 bonus to Endurance and Streetwise
Muls have the racial abilities of Born of Two Races, Mul Vitality, and Tireless. Their racial encounter power is Incredible Toughness.

Thri-Kreen
Thri-kreen are mantis-like humanoids that hunt in packs throughout the wastes of Athas. They have adapted to the harsh climate and are experts at surviving with only scarce resources. Thri-kreen are nimble and many also have psionic abilities.

Ability Scores: +2 to Dexterity, choose from +2 to either Strength or Wisdom
Skill Bonuses: +2 bonus to Athletics and Nature
Thri-Kreen have the racial abilities of Multiple Arms, Natural Jumper, and Torpor. Their racial encounter power is Thri-Kreen Claws.

The following standard races are mentioned in the DSCS:

Dragonborn
Created many centuries ago by the sorcerer-king of Guistenal to serve as a race of sorcerous warriors, dragonborn - or dray as they call themselves - are a strong, resilient race of dragonlike humanoids. Most dray were cast out of home by their creator, Dregoth, and a handful of dragonborn survived when Guistenal was destroyed. From those ancient refugees arose a race of mercenaries, sorcerers, and slave traders known for their calculating (and sometimes duplicitous) ways.

Dwarf
The dwarves of Athas have the stature of their kindred in other worlds - short, sturdy, and thickly muscled. Most dwarves have deep tans from lives spent toiling in the hot sun, with wide, calloused hands and feet. They usually have little to no hair; the flowing beards that are the pride of male dwarves on other worlds are never seen on the Athasian variety.

Eladrin
Dune traders spread tales of cities hidden in mirages, oases that vanish with the rising sun, and travelers carried off to noble palaces invisible to the mortal eye. The stories of hidden kingdoms in the desert are true - in part. They describe the Land Within the Wind (also sometimes called the Feywild). Eladrin are almost completely unknown to most Athasians. They are thought to be a perilous race of enchanters who ward their secret towers and unseen palaces with madness and illusion. In truth, the fey realm has all but vanished, and the few eladrin outposts that remain are crumbling into ruin as their land is burned away by defiling magic.

Elf
Elves are tall, long-legged desert rovers whose tribes wander the face of Athas. Traders and herders, elves rarely stay in one place for long. They are also charlatans, entertainers, thieves, and raiders. Each of the great city-states hosts a branch of the Elven Market - a never-ending bazaar where the elves (and others who deal in goods of dubious origin) sell their wares. Many elven goods are cheap baubles of little worth or were stolen from their rightful owners. Still, elves have a knack for being in the right place at the right time to peddle their wares, and even the most officious templar appreciates the selection of goods in an elven market.

Goliath
Centuries ago, sorcerer-kings magically combined giant and human stock to breed powerful minions, creating the hardy race of towering warriors known as goliaths (commonly called half-giants). Most sorcerer-kings have hundreds of goliaths in their armies and shower the mighty warriors with luxuries in exchange for their loyalty. Other half-giants become urban thugs or mercenaries. They adopt the culture and traditions in the cities in which they dwell.

Half-Elf
Born from two worlds but welcome in neither, half-elves struggle to find their place in a hostile land. Humans and elves rarely show trust or affection, but they travel many of the same roads on Athas, and sometimes romance follows. However, the children of unions between elves and humans are rarely happy. Half-elves typically face intolerance and prejudices throughout their lives. A tribe of elves might go so far as to cast out a female elf who bears a half-elf child, letting the desert dispense with the object of their shame. Humans care less about elven ancestry, but most assume that half-elves are every bit as clever and dishonest as their elven forebears.

Halfling
Most halflings hail from the Forest Ridge, a mysterious and legendary jungle said to crown the Ringing Mountains. Halflings live apart from other races, divided by their stature and odd customs, but no one can deny their bravery and cunning. The savagery for which they are feared masks a deep and abiding reverence for the natural world and an uncompromising connection to the land's spirits. Halflings live throughout the Tyr region - some as slaves, others as mercenaries, and still others as raiders. Regardless, all halflings look to the Forest Ridge as their homeland.

Human
A resourceful and hardy race, humans are the most numerous and diverse people in the Tyr Region. They can be found in every social stratum and situation: city dweller and desert villager, nomadic herder and mechant trader, pampered noble and wretched slave. Humans' drive, ambition, and ingenuity help the race survive on the dying world and thrive under the rule of the sorcerer-kings.

Tiefling
The people of the desert settlements have much to fear from the wastes. Predators snatch livestock and children, sandstorms destroy homes, and the punishing heat and scarce water make life miserable. However, all these dangers pale before the merciless desert devils that emerge from the night, bent on murder and mayhem. They are remorseless raiders, taking no slaves and leaving no survivors. They are the tieflings and they are death incarnate.

Other Races
Genasi: Also known as half-elementals, genasi typically reside in the depths of the wastelands and on isles in the Sea of Silt. Their elemental nature gives them the ability to endure environmental conditions that other humanoids find intolerable.
Kalashtar: Psionic study has long been a part of Athasian culture and some humans are living embodiments of the Way. The kalashtar, a race of psionic beings, evolved from masters who trained in remote monasteries long ago.
Minotaurs: Centuries ago, minotaurs were derived from beast-headed giants by the priests of a cult that sought to harness elemental power to use against the sorcerer-kings. The cult was stamped out, but the savage warriors they created survived and eventually spread across Athas.

Drow: Burned the shade of obsidian, the drow are heartless raiders and mercenaries living on the very fringes of the Tyr Region. Some drow pirate the Sea of Silt, attacking city-states and villages on the periphery of that once-great ocean. Drow concern themselves not with the defiling of Athas through the use of arcane magic and often flaunt the facility with which they manipulate the arcane. (Note that the Drow in Athas are my invention and not part of the standard Dark Sun setting)

Races not mentioned above are either absent from Athas or so rare that PCs are unlikely to encounter them in meaningful numbers.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
House Rules

Inherent Enhancement Bonuses
Dark Sun: Burning Sands will use the Inherent Enhancement Bonus rules as presented in the DSCS. This means that the characters will periodically receive enhancement bonuses to attack rolls and their defenses. These enhancement bonuses, like all named bonuses in 4E, do not stack with bonuses of the same name. Thus, if your character wears magic armor, you would use the higher of your inherent enhancement bonus or that of the magic armor. The same goes for weapons and neck items. Note that this has no effect on properties, powers, or critical hit effects.

Weapon Breakage
When you roll a natural 1 on your melee attack roll when using a weapon (this includes implement attacks such as those made by monks), your non-metal, non-magical weapon breaks and counts as an improvised weapon for the rest of the encounter. After the encounter, the weapon is totally useless and must be discarded.

Item Daily Powers
Daily item powers are not going to be tracked separately from other daily use powers. Thus, any daily item power you may have is usable once per day, regardless of how many daily item powers you might have. This is in accordance with a change I have heard is coming and I heartily approve of the idea.

Experience
Because of the normally glacial pace of most play by post games, experience is going to be awarded at an accelerated pace. Expect somewhere between 25% to 50% more xp (compared to the standard D&D model) to be earned during the game.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Character Roster

The following Player Characters are part of the Dark Sun: Burning Sands campaign:

SLOT 1: Zimno, Eladrin Swordmage (Wilder) - Stonegod
SLOT 2: Amica, Human Psion (Noble Adept) - Shayuri
SLOT 3: Kesh, Elf Monk (Wilder) - Distracting Flare
SLOT 4: Korg, Dwarf Shaman (Elemental Priest) - Walking Dad
SLOT 5: Brandis, Human Warlock (Templar) - drothgery

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I've always liked the Dark Sun setting. I even bought the box set way back when. Good stuff.

So I'm interested....oh, but don't mind me. :p

(^_^)

Walking Dad

First Post
The first Dark Sun box was the first setting I bought for D%D. Then came Ravenloft... yeah, D&D a game of classic fantasy ;)
I saw Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms only much later.

Remove ads