• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's "The Isle of Dread" - Chapter One

Leif

Adventurer
Questor, Halfling Chaos Sorcerer 6

OOC: Good thing Questor came back inside! :) He'll try both the Insight and the Diplomacy, but be warned, his Insight is not that great!

"Now hold on just a moment, Nafije! That's no way to talk to a well-traveled, respected man of the sea like our Captain Rex here!" Questor then turns to the Captain, "Beggin' your pardon, Captain Rex Sar, but we're just landlubbers. We have no proper knowledge of what the thing we ask of ye is going to require. P'r'aps ye could enlighten us and tell us what it would take to secure your sarvices?"

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Cassi seems more interested in arranging and adding to the collection of notes she's keeping in front of her than in anything else, but she looks up when Nafije begins 'negotiating' with Captain Rex. Mikel had usually taken the lead in their business dealings with customers, but she had done quite a bit as well; he had often been out of the city seeking new markets, after all.

She drew a dotted line from Captain Rex to Roy Barbossa on one of those scraps of parchment, and tried to puzzle out where that would lead.

Walking Dad

First Post
Adam of Brightcastle

"Captain Rex, why we are not much knowledgeable in nautical matters or what is really important for a man of the sea, you can trust us in the regard that we will compensate you nicely for your help." Adam says.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Outside, the elf ranger peered at the ground for a moment, then shook her head with a disgusted snort.

"Like looking for one particular horse's tracks at a stable," she muttered.

"So you say his name is Gorys and he works at the docks,"
Astra muses, glancing at the gnome. "But then again, you also called him 'gloriously effervescent' and claimed he was missing an appendage."

She sighed and gestured to the druid. "Come on, lets see how the others are doing. We should leave this place soon."

Insight

Adventurer
She drew a dotted line from Captain Rex to Roy Barbossa on one of those scraps of parchment, and tried to puzzle out where that would lead.

[sblock=Cassi]It occurs to Cassi that Captain Rex seems awfully fixated on his former first mate, Nell. Based on conversations Rex has had with the party, and information she has pieced together, Cassi knows that Rex lost Cassi to Captain Roundbottom in some sort of bet. Cassi further knows that Captain Roundbottom was once Rory Barbarossa's captain (also captain of the same Lussiter that allegedly sailed to the Isle of Dread).

Offering to find and/or return Nell to Captain Rex might be a good place to start.[/sblock]

drothgery

First Post
"It seems likely that if we go ahead with this expedition, we might be able to determine the fates of certain individuals last seen with Captain Roundbottom." Cassi mentions. "Perhaps even this Nell of yours."

Insight

Adventurer
"It seems likely that if we go ahead with this expedition, we might be able to determine the fates of certain individuals last seen with Captain Roundbottom." Cassi mentions. "Perhaps even this Nell of yours."

"You would do that... fer me?" Captain Rex asks, wide-eyed. "Well, I s'pose that's gotta be worth somethin'."

He looks across the assembled heroes. "Wait a tic. How do I know yer not from the Veiled Society, tryin' ta turn me out for what I might know of ole Barbarossa?"

OOC: This offer does lower the DC for the Diplomacy check, but now another complication has emerged.

If anyone else wants to try to Aid Another, now would be the time. Or offer some explanation vis his Veiled Society question.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
"I am an enemy of the Veiled Society," says Vrashek to the captain, his voice low. "They have marked me for torture and death. I can assure you, we are in no way affiliated with the society." The half-orc steps closer to the captain and smiles his toothy grin. "Perhaps you noticed the way their agent fled the tavern when he noted my presence. If we stay much longer, you will indeed have proof, as we will have to fight their forces to escape."

OOC: While the first part of this is the truth, Vrashek really doesn't know if the VS will be sending their men to kill them...so I'm going to roll a bluff check for that portion.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
"I am an enemy of the Veiled Society," says Vrashek to the captain, his voice low. "They have marked me for torture and death. I can assure you, we are in no way affiliated with the society." The half-orc steps closer to the captain and smiles his toothy grin. "Perhaps you noticed the way their agent fled the tavern when he noted my presence. If we stay much longer, you will indeed have proof, as we will have to fight their forces to escape."

Rex looks carefully across at the Man in the Brown Hat. "Aye, that feller is most curious," he says. "And I know wot that half-elf nutter he does keep time with. I says he and the lad are little too friendly, if ya catch the drift of me anchor!" Rex has a good laugh at this. "You know, when at sea, 'tis not normally done ta have a female thrashin' about the ship. So, some keen felllers'll make do. Now I ne'er been one to dally, but rare is the truthful sailor who dinna admit he done thought about... well... you know!"

Rex sighs. "That's why I treasured me Nell so," he adds. "She was ne'er too prideful ta give the ole sea captain a roll around the captain's quarters! Laugh if ye must, but those trips across the sea can take its toll on a man."

"All right, so let's talk about Rory Barbarossa," Rex says. "But FIRST, I need to know the exact terms of yer proposal."

OOC: It looks like we have enough "in the pot" to reduce the Diplomacy check DC. And a good +6 from Aid Another checks. Whenever Nafije is ready, make the roll.

renau1g

First Post
Keharn nods at his half-sister's suggestion and returns to the interior of the tavern, seeing the large group of their allies talking to the sea captain, the druid figures too many people could make him harder to deal with and quietly returns to their table.

Remove ads