Insight's "The Silent Partner" [1920s] OOC Thread

Shayuri

First Post
No problem. It seems that you have a bit more of a handle on what you want to play, so let's come up with a situation that makes sense for an officer of the law. We can move the setting to New York City or some other American locale. Or with Shayuri's British heiress, perhaps set in England. Could your lawman be British? Or, on the flip side, maybe the British heiress is in America for some reason. Or maybe your American investigator is in Great Britain on vacation, like you said.

Shayuri, any thoughts on this?

The great thing about a rich, young character who has nothing really pressing to do is that she can pretty much show up anywhere. :)

Thus, I'm fine with the options being explored right now. On the other hand, with no strong opinions about what is best for me, I'm not in a position to be terribly helpful in resolving the indecision either. :)

Insight

Adventurer
I'm going to lay out five setting options and those of you interested in playing chime in with which ones you like best and what sort of character you would play in that setting:

1. 1920s. Paris, France. Pretty much the first one I outlined.
2. 1920s. London, England. Probably more of a stuffy, upper-crust sort of air to it.
3. 1920s. New York City, USA. May involve stock market crash stuff if set late enough. Maybe some prohibition / gansgter stuff too.
4. 1920s. Los Angeles, USA. Hollywood, baby.
5. Modern (Pick a city). If you guys decide you'd rather do a modern settings, we can talk about that, too.

I need to point out that the city is just where things get started, not necessarily the focus of the game. Things will probably cause your investigators to move around.

jackslate45

First Post
I'm going to lay out five setting options and those of you interested in playing chime in with which ones you like best and what sort of character you would play in that setting:

1. 1920s. Paris, France. Pretty much the first one I outlined.
2. 1920s. London, England. Probably more of a stuffy, upper-crust sort of air to it.
3. 1920s. New York City, USA. May involve stock market crash stuff if set late enough. Maybe some prohibition / gansgter stuff too.
4. 1920s. Los Angeles, USA. Hollywood, baby.
5. Modern (Pick a city). If you guys decide you'd rather do a modern settings, we can talk about that, too.

I need to point out that the city is just where things get started, not necessarily the focus of the game. Things will probably cause your investigators to move around.
My vote is for LA or (Stolen from other thread) Chicago. England would be second. Modern just does not feel right for a CoC game.

Insight

Adventurer
Same here. How much historical knowledge would be required? Any good place to get a rough time-line what happened in this areas?

If we go with LA, especially Hollywood 1920s - 1930s, here are some good sites to work from:

Wikipedia - Hollywood

wikipedia said:
By 1920, Hollywood had become world-famous as the center of the United States film industry. In 1918, HJ Whitley commissioned architect A.S. Barnes to design Whitley Heights as a Mediterranean-style village on the steep hillsides above Hollywood Boulevard, and it became the first celebrity community. The neighborhood is roughly bordered on the north and east by Cahuenga Boulevard, on the west by Highland Avenue, and on the south by Franklin Avenue. Among Whitley Heights' many famous residents have been Rudolph Valentino, Barbara Stanwyck, W.C. Fields, Jean Harlow, Carole Lombard, William Powell. Tyrone Power, Ellen Pompeo, Gloria Swanson, Rosalind Russell, Judy Garland, and Marlene Dietrich.

From the 1920s to the 1940s, a large percentage of transportation to and from Hollywood was by means of the red cars of the Pacific Electric Railway.

Wikipedia - Cinema of the United States

wikipedia said:
During the so-called Golden Age of Hollywood, which lasted from the end of the silent era in American cinema in the late 1920s to the late 1950s, thousands of movies were issued from the Hollywood studios. The start of the Golden Age was arguably when The Jazz Singer was released in 1927, ending the silent era and increasing box-office profits for films as sound was introduced to feature films. Most Hollywood pictures adhered closely to a formula - Western, slapstick comedy, musical, animated cartoon, biopic (biographical picture) - and the same creative teams often worked on films made by the same studio. For example, Cedric Gibbons and Herbert Stothart always worked on MGM films, Alfred Newman worked at 20th Century Fox for twenty years, Cecil B. De Mille's films were almost all made at Paramount, and director Henry King's films were mostly made for 20th Century Fox.

At the same time, one could usually guess which studio made which film, largely because of the actors who appeared in it; MGM, for example, claimed it had contracted "more stars than there are in heaven." Each studio had its own style and characteristic touches which made it possible to know this — a trait that does not exist today. Yet each movie was a little different, and, unlike the craftsmen who made cars, many of the people who made movies were artists. For example, To Have and Have Not (1944) is famous not only for the first pairing of actors Humphrey Bogart (1899–1957) and Lauren Bacall (1924–) but also for being written by two future winners of the Nobel Prize in Literature: Ernest Hemingway (1899–1961), the author of the novel on which the script was nominally based, and William Faulkner (1897–1962), who worked on the screen adaptation.

After The Jazz Singer was released in 1927, Warner Bros. gained huge success and was able to acquire their own string of movie theaters, after purchasing Stanley Theaters and First National Productions in 1928. MGM had also owned the Loews string of theaters since forming in 1924, and the Fox Film Corporation owned the Fox Theatre strings as well. Also, RKO (a 1928 merger between Keith-Orpheum Theaters and the Radio Corporation of America) responded to the Western Electric/ERPI monopoly over sound in films , and developed their own method, known as Photophone, to put sound in films. Paramount, who already acquired Balaban and Katz in 1926, would answer to the success of Warner Bros. and RKO, and buy a number of theaters in the late 1920s as well, and would hold a monopoly on theaters in Detroit, Michigan. By the 1930s, all of America's theaters were owned by the Big Five studios - MGM, Paramount Pictures, RKO, Warner Bros., and 20th Century Fox.

Movie-making was still a business however, and motion picture companies made money by operating under the studio system. The major studios kept thousands of people on salary — actors, producers, directors, writers, stunt men, craftspersons, and technicians. They owned or leased Movie Ranches in rural Southern California for location shooting of westerns and other large scale genre films. And they owned hundreds of theaters in cities and towns across the nation, theaters that showed their films and that were always in need of fresh material.

Here are a few more:

Haunted Hollywood
Film History of the 1920s
... and 1930s
Hollywood in the 1930s - fairly indepth

Insight

Adventurer
General Character Creation:
Here are the basic steps in Character Creation for this game:

0: Concept (see above). We will discuss this at length in this thread before going forward with the rest.

1: Determine Characteristics. Roll 3d6 each for Strength (STR), Constitution (CON), Power (POW), Dexterity (DEX), and Appearance (APP). Roll 2d6+6 each for Size (SIZ) and Intelligence (INT). Roll 3d6+3 for Education (EDU). Sanity (SAN) is equal to POW x5.
Note: Determining Characteristics can be after determining Occupation. See below.

2: Determine Characteristic Rolls. Multiple INT x5 for Idea, POW x5 for Luck, and EDU x5 for Know. Add STR to SIZ to find Damage Bonus (this is found on a table in the book; I will let you know what this is). Enter 99 for Max Sanity. This number is always (99 - Cthulhu Mythos skill).

3: Determine Derived Characteristic Points. Add CON to SIZ and divide that total by 2. This is your Hit Point total. Magic Points total is equal to POW. Current Sanity is equal to your SAN score.

4: Determine Occupation and Skills. There are many possible Occupations in the book. I will list all of the possibilities in a future post. Choose one of these or we can try to create one to match what you want. Your character has a number of skill points equal to EDU x20. Each Occupation gives you a list of 6-8 skills on which you can spend your skill points. You can have up to a 90 in a skill (this is a change from the book -- I'd prefer not to have anyone running around with 99s just yet). You also receive personal interest points, equal to INT x10. These points can be put into any skill. I'll list the skills later.
Note: It may make sense to choose an Occupation before rolling your characteristics. In this case, you may select an Occupation and then make your 3d6 rolls. You can choose to move the 3d6 rolls around to suit the Occupation you selected. The 2d6+6 rolls for Size and Int can also be swapped (but only with one another). HOUSE RULE: I'm also going to allow a character to move up to 3 from EDU to one other characteristic. You cannot move points TO Education from something else; this is a one-way transfer.

5: Determine Equipment. We'll deal with equipment down the road.

Roll 1d10 to determine annual income:
1: $1500 + Room & Board
2: $2500
3 or 4: $3500
5: $4500
6: $5500
7: $6500
8: $7500
9: $10000
10: $20000

Your character has 10x annual income as personal property. 10% of this amount is in the bank and 10% of this amount is in stocks and bonds or other investments that can be cashed out within 30 days. Thus, your actual liquid property would be (annual income * 10)*0.8. This amount is essentially what you will use to purchase equipment and whatever you need for your lifestyle.

6: Determine Additional Background. Stuff like Name, Age, Height, Weight, Birthplace, Nationality, Religion, whatever else you want to add to round out your character. Note that Age is somewhat limited by EDU; your Age should not exceed EDU+6 years unless you have a compelling reason.

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
I was thinking along the lines of Hollywood security then. He would be a little upset about not being an actual cop (didnt go to school long enough, failed the exam. Really depends on what my rolls are), and would be spending most of his free time working on becoming an actual officer. He does his job well enough, hoping that the people he knows will refer him to the LAPD.

EDIT: Rolling stats here for less clutter. 5,7,14,14,11;12,16;15
2nd Edit: Arranging stats better

Characteristics:
STR: 14
CON: 14
POW: 11
DEX: 7
APP: 5

SIZ: 16
INT: 12

EDU: 15
SAN: 55
MAX SAN: 99

Idea ( x5 INT) 60%
Luck ( x5 POW) 55%
Know( x5 EDU) 75%

HP: 15
MP: 11

DMG: 30 (+1d4?)

Other
Occupation Skills: 300
Personal Skills: 120

Money: $3,500

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Character Creation Example
I'm going to create Barney Siple, actor (mostly a bit player) and sometimes grip or stuntman.

Occupation
Since I know I want Barney to be an actor, I'm going with the Entertainer occupation.

Characteristics
I'm going for Entertainer, so I have an idea of what Characteristics I want Barney to favor. I'll be rolling 5 3d6 (STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP), 2 2d6+6 (SIZ and INT), and 1 3d6+3 (EDU) using the EN World Die Roller.

I get 10, 11, 17, 12, and 8 for the 3d6s, a 9 and 13 for either SIZ or INT, and an EDU of 7. I'm going to flip the SIZ and INT to better match my concept. EDU is fine where it is. STR and DEX are going to be his highest, so the 17 and 12 go there. CON should be next highest, so there's my 11. The 10 will go into APP (he's average-looking, which explains why he doesn't get the leading man parts) and the 8 goes into POW. Barney isn't a terribly forceful (or apparently lucky) guy.

STR 17
CON 11
POW 8
DEX 12
APP 10

SIZ 13
INT 9

EDU 7
SAN 40

Characteristic Rolls
Idea (INT x5) 45%
Luck (POW x5) 40%
Know (EDU x5) 35%

Damage Bonus +1d4

Max Sanity 99

Derived Characteristics
Hit Points 12
Magic Points 8
Current Sanity 40

Skills
The Entertainer occupation gives Barney the following focus skill options: Art, Credit Rating, Disguise, Dodge, Fast Talk, Listen, and Psychology, along with a personal choice based on this job, which I will select as Craft. Barney has 140 skill points to put into these.

Barney distributes his points as follows:
Craft - Carpentry (base 5%) +40 for a total of 45%
Credit Rating (base 15%) +10 for a total of 25%
Dodge (base DEXx2 or 24%) +30 for a total of 54%
Fast Talk (base 5%) +40 for a total of 45%
Listen (base 25%) +10 for a total of 35%
Psychology (base 5%) +10 for a total of 15%

Next, Barney has 90 "personal interest" points. He distributes these as follows:
Climb (base 40%) +10 for a total of 50%
Drive Automobile (base 20%) +20 for a total of 40%
Grapple (base 25%) +20 for a total of 45%
Jump (base 25%) +20 for a total of 45%
puts 10 more pts into Dodge for a total of 64%
and puts 10pts into Craft - Carpentry for a total of 55%

Barney also has Own Language (English) at EDUx2, or 14%

Cash and Equipment
WOW Barney is loaded. He got a 10 for his annual income, which translates into $20,000. That means he has a total of $200,000 in personal assets, with $20,000 in the bank and another $20,000 in stocks and bonds (just wait until October 29th, Barney!). Barney has $160,000 to spend on equipment and lifestyle amenities. That's an awful lot for a bit player and part-time stuntman. If I were playing this character, I would need to explain how Barney came into this much cash. Maybe he just got an inheritance or something.

I'm not actually going to purchase equipment for Barney, but you get the idea. When your characters go to buy your equipment, I'll provide prices on various items.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I think I'll roll first and build my concept logically out from the rolls. Works better than coming up with a great idea, and then having it destroyed by the dice. :)

hmm...this actually sort of works, though I'd have liked to have at least one decent roll on the 3d6s for a good POW and/or APP...

So:

STR 6
CON 10
POW 12
DEX 10
APP 11

SIZ 11
INT 15

EDU 14
SAN 60

Characteristic Rolls
Idea (INT x5) 75%