• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Inspiration! How's It Working Out For You?

So the Inspiration rules...

• I've never used them, and that's fine.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I've never used them, but I'd like to try them out.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I've used them in the past, and I didn't care for them.

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • I've used them in the past, and I liked them.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I'm using them now, and I don't care for them.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I'm using them now, and I like them.

Votes: 21 35.0%

the Jester

Legend
I use them, I'm happy with them, and I'm very surprised that other groups seem to forget about them.

Inspiration is a great way to reward a pc who roleplays true to character in a way that is bad for the character- e.g. "I cannot tell a lie, yes, it was us who broke into the wizard's tower".

It's also a great way to reward things that really don't seem like they should be worth xp. For instance, I reserve xp for challenges that include a risk to the pcs and/or their interests. If the pcs do some great roleplaying, that's not an xp reward, that's inspiration.

It's ALSO a great way to reward players who improve the game in some way (I refer to this as "lubricating the game"- i.e. making it run more smoothly). So, draw a picture of the game's big combat, or a portrait of your pc or the party? Inspiration. Do a journal entry? Inspiration. Provide snacks or drinks? Inspiration. I use one of your miniatures? Inspiration. Give someone who needs a ride to the game that ride? Inspiration.

Every time I hear about how few groups use inspiration, I am just blown away. I love the stuff.

OB1

Jedi Master
I've always used them in 5e, but typically forgot to give it out after a session or two and players forgot to use it. The new UA rules have fixed both problems, and my group is loving the results. I've even found that I'm remembering to give out inspiration for other things (as well as situational advantage and disadvantage) more often with the new rule for Nat20 Inspiration.

Shiroiken

Legend
Inspiration has always been kinda meh for our group. We decided to change it to a reroll after the fact, making it a bit better, but it just isn't something our DMs really cared for. We use it occasionally, but just not very often.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Biggest problem with Inspiration was forgetting to give it out.

I've been using @iserith 's version and that makes things a A LOT easier. Plus my players like it, and participate - so win on that front.

pnewman

Adventurer
As a player I build my characters personality traits around getting Inspiration, and am always frustrated at how infrequently other GM's give it out. As a GM I urge players to build their characters personality traits around getting Inspiration, I give out Inspiration freely, I expect frequent use of Inspiration and build all encounter difficulties to account for this, and I am always puzzled when my players are not constantly spamming Inspiration. They usually say that they forgot about it or that they're saving it for Death Saves. Death Saves they would not have had to make if they did not keep missing the monsters due to not using Inspiration more....

dumdragon

Explorer
I've modified its use when I DM. Inspiration can still be used for advantage, but I also allow it as a reroll.
For those that forget to give it out I've pawned that off on my players to decide ;). (I retain veto power though). Also, we also use glass beads or some other small trinket to represent its presence. They still only get one at a time, but I also allow them to pass theirs to another player.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I like mechanics like Inspiration in other games (Willpower in World of Darkness, Determination in Dune, Void Pont in Legend of the Five Rings) but Inspiration as implemented in 5e has never quite worked all that well for my tastes. The lack of specific triggers to gain Inspiration made it difficult to award and the reward often conflicts with other mechanics that give Advantage. The new take is fine I guess, but does not resolve the second issue. It also makes it a general mechanical resource instead of a reward for playing to character.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads