• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inspirational paladin speeches

Particle_Man

Explorer
I am thinking of playing a paladin of the inspiring type and would like to hear of some good speeches that I could steal ideas from.

What are the best/most inspirational paladin (or paladin-like) speeches/pep-talks etc. that you have heard/made in games or in fiction (books, movies, etc.)?

This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Henry V (via Shakespeare)

joe b.

Zweischneid

First Post
Hear my words, and bear witness to my vow.
Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
It shall not end until my death.
I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children.
I shall wear no crowns and win no glory.
I shall live and die at my post.
I am the sword in the darkness.
I am the watcher on the walls.
I am the fire that burns against the cold,
the light that brings the dawn,
the horn that wakes the sleepers,
the shield that guards the realms of men.
I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch,
for this night and all the nights to come.

- Oatth of the Night Watch (A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin)

Use and reuse for any other order...

Zweischneid

First Post
Pippin takes esquire of Lord Denethor:

Pippin:
"Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor, and to the Lord and Steward of the realm, to speak and to be silent, to do and to let be, to come and to go, in need or plenty, in peace or war, in living or dying, from this hour henceforth, until my lord release me, or death take me, or the world end.
So say I, Peregrin son of Paladin, of the Shire of the Halflings.
"

Lord Denethor:
"And this do I hear, Denethor, son of Ecthelion, Lord of Gondor, Steward of the High King, and I will not forget it, nor fail to reward that which is given: fealty with love, valour with honour, oath-breaking with vengeance."

[Edit]
From J.R.R.Tolkiens "Return of the King" (Lord of the Rings Book V & VI) obviously...

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
"These are the times that try men's Souls. The summer soldiers and the sunshine patriots will in this crisis shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph."

"He who would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression. For if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

-- Thomas Paine

Last edited:

In addition to any of the rousing speeches by Tuxedo Mask in the Sailor Moon anime series:

"We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. You ask, what is our policy? I will say: it is to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory - victory at all costs, victory in spite of terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival." - Winston Churchill, May 13, 1940

"Loss of freedom seldom happens overnight. Oppression doesn't stand on the doorstep with toothbrush mustache and swastika armband - it creeps up insidiously... step by step, and all of a sudden the unfortunate citizen realizes that it is gone." - Baron Lane, British judge, Lord Chief Justice of England.

ajanders

Explorer
Kipling...gotta love Kipling

A Song to Mithras
Author: Rudyard Kipling

Mithras, God of the Morning, our trumpets waken the Wall!
‘Rome is above the Nations, but Thou art over all!’
Now as the names are answered, and the guards are marched away,
Mithras, also a soldier, give us strength for the day!

Mithras, God of the Noontide, the heather swims in the heat,
Our helmets scorch our foreheads, our sandals burn our feet.
Now in the ungirt hour, now ere we blink and drowse,
Mithras, also a soldier, keep us true to our vows!

Mithras, God of the Sunset, low on the Western main,
Thou descending immortal, immortal to rise again!
Now when the watch is ended, now when the wine is drawn,
Mithras, also a soldier, keep us pure till the dawn!

Mithras, God of the Midnight, here where the great bull dies,
Look on Thy children in darkness. Oh, take our sacrifice!
Many roads Thou hast fashioned: all of them lead to the Light!
Mithras, also a soldier, teach us to die aright!

A paladin's ethos, from my Baldur's Gate fanfic:

You ask me how it is that I can judge? Am I so much holier than you that I might have the right to judge?

I tell you no, I am no more holier than you. I tell you that all have fallen short of the standard. Before the truth, both you and I are wretched as beggars before the king.

You ask, how can I judge you or anyone?

I tell you that I have not judged anyone. Mortals like to think that what they do in secret they cannot be judged for. But the judgement of the truth is clear and its light shines into the darkest hole. We have all been judged, I am not at fault if you think you can hide from your judgement.
The fool says, “If I am strong, then it is my right. For by strength alone is any act done and good and evil are just myths in which I do not believe!”

Good and evil are not myths. Truth is a mountain. At the top is good, rare and beauteous. At the bottom is evil, lost in shadow. The fool says “Who cares what is top and what is bottom? I refuse to climb the mountain. I will do as I please, do what is easiest, and go down the mountain.” I cannot stop your downward climb, but neither can I believe you when you say the view from the bottom is the same as at the top.

What then is a paladin? He is one of the strong, sworn to lend his strength to the weak. His is the path, not only to climb, but to assist the climbs that others make. To shield the climber from the rocks thrown from below. For that is the worst part of the evil of those who climb down the mountain is that they throw rocks to knock away the climbers above. This is the greatest evil one mortal may bear against another.

Lords and thieves contend over their laws, but this is rarely the combat of good against evil. The lord dwells in luxury and the thief starves. The lord makes no act of a good man. The thief breaks the law because he wants what the lord holds, he takes by force what is held by force. No good is found here.

You say, how can I act? But when do I act? An urchin steals bread because the hunger in his belly is greater than the fear of the guard. My sword does not fly. Two fools come to blows over insults traded with too much wine. This is not my battle. A wife calls her husband to account because he has been unfaithful. Though the treachery is dire, they must contend with themselves.
But when a thief or a bandit leaves children to starve because they are strong enough to steal the family's bread; when women are raped and mothers and fathers are slain to feed the “strong”; when evil is so clear that the smell of it is rank to the heavens, then I am the strength of the weak. All flesh is grass and I am the fire of truth.

I do not judge for the judgement is already plain as the noon sun in the desert. Evil may say “There is no evil, only strength.” Well I too am strong, fool, and I have seen from the top of the mountain, though I do not deserve to dwell there always. Dwell in shadow if you wish and say that there is no light. I have stood in the light and it is true.

Can you, by your strength, stop the sun? Neither can you stop the truth. The rapist, the murderer, let them fear. The day will come when the mountain is laid flat and all will be judged by where they fall. Until that day, I am the ranger on the mountain slope – I point the way to the top and I protect the climbers.

Go down, if you must, and mock, if you will. But I will allow none to starve or suffer because you have “strength”. This I have sworn.

_The words of Adamant the Inquisitor, Paladin sworn._

And another from the same fanfic:

The Weave blankets the world, a tapestry of history, of eternity, of power and mystery.
Let all be born free and let none who are born free be bound by the Weave. From the mystery we seek revelation; from the power we seek protection; to eternity may we be bound and may history record us faithfully and with favour.

All who enslave by the Weave, may they be cut free from it; their thread unwoven; their tale unrecorded; their power unwound. Let the cold wind of unbeing blow through their craft and no protection from it be found for them.

I am the blade that cuts the binding threads; my hands undo the imprisoning knots and ties; I am freedom’s servant and righteousness’ hand. Let the slaver’s of the Weave know that I am and tremble. Till my thread is fully woven, this is my part in the tapestry. I am the Inquisitor.

Remove ads