• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inspiring Word

Greyscott

First Post
This may already have been asked and answered elsewhere, but does Inspiring Word (Warlord Class Feature/Encounter) work on unconscious (i.e., dying) allies? If you follow the flavor text and a common sense reading, I would say not, but I was curious if anyone else ruled differently -

Thanks

Mort_Q

First Post
Your subconscious mind can hear the Inspiring Words, and you gain all the benefits as if you were conscious.

Maximillian

First Post
Haha. That's a great question. Mort's answer is probably perfect, but maybe you could tack on something along the lines of "You hear a piercing voice through the haze of battle, realizing you're laying on your back. It's Baritaine, calling for you to have heart."

You wake up, then you heal. Warlords are either very loud, or very good at being heard over the din of combat. 4e requires WAY more forethought and description sometimes if you want things to feel "real."

Calidarien

First Post
PHB p.293: "... Even if you're unconscious, the power uses your healing surge and restores hit points."

Edit: of course, explaining that mechanic would require something like others have suggested above.

strumbleduck

First Post
It would severely nerf warlords if they couldn't use their powers to heal dying party members. Just assume that dying PC's are on the edge of unconsciousness and are able to hear the warlord's exhortations.

Also, it is generally true for this edition that the flavor is supposed to be fairly independent from the rule mechanics. For example, any monster can be knocked "prone", though for some monsters the DM should interpret this as off-balanced or otherwise unsteady. If you're tempted to make an unfavorable ruling for flavor reasons, consider how the flavor could be changed so that the power still works.

andarilhor

First Post
Or the power can change its range to Melee touch as the Warlord has to give a few slaps in the face of the dying guy saying "C´mon! Was just a scratch! You gonna let a little thing like 300 damage let you down!?":)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads