Instant feedback- the Ceramic DM judge free feedback zone of death!

BSF

Explorer
Enough about my story right now. What I want to hear is about Macbeth's risk in round two against Clay. For me, I have tried something a little beyond my comfort zone for all three rounds so far. So, I find it interesting that other people are feeling the need to stretch as well.

C'mon Macbeth, what was the risk and what was the inspiration to try it? I want to know.

Sialia

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
Anyway, if you are inspired to write something, than I am happy. I'd love to see it, perhaps in Kil-Fired Ceramic DM when you are done?
Go over there a post a good photo for me.
Folks have given me a few already, most of which have slipped in quite easily.

Not that I've had time to write. Probably another 2 weeks before I get any writing time. But I know what I would do with them.

Hope I don't lose the story before then--that sort of thing has happened before.

Feel free to tell us more about Papa and Auntie. I'm listening.

It's because your world is bigger than your characters that I think it fits well with mine. My characters were there moving in the space and time, but it was the world that held me hostage, now that I think about it.

Probably why I felt right at home in yours.

Eeralai

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
Enough about my story right now. What I want to hear is about Macbeth's risk in round two against Clay.

I'd like to post my thoughts on MacBeth's second story. Actually, I would like to compare his second and third story because any comparison to BSF's third story would probably be biased :)

I like the premise for MacBeth's third story a great deal, but I think his second story is better written. For me, it is probably because the second story is all about the development of a character. It is unrelated to the d20 world, and instead it concentrates on growing from a child to an adult in a very metaphorical way. I really had a since of the character's anguish and thought it all too real that people were trying to squash his imagination. It was well done and something I hope he expands upon.

The third story, as I said, had a great premise, but I was not as intrigued with the main character. I knew right away who the djinn was, and I felt like the main character should have had more of an inkling than he did. It would be neat to see this story with more character depth and posted in the Kiln Fired thread. I was impressed with the picture use in both stories and the fact that they were written in three days blows me away. And I must interject that the speed at which BSF wrote his last two stories was astounding to me. The second one particularly because he did not have as clear of an idea for it when he sat down to begin it as he did the other two.

As far as grammar and spelling, the best thing to do is have somebody else look at it. But in the time frame you guys have to work with, that is sometimes impossible to do.

Sialia

First Post
Yes--Macbeth's second rounder blew me away. I looooved that story. The third rounder was good, too, but did not surprise me as much, or take me somewhere I have never travelled gladly beyond as well.The second rounder was the sort of story that would do well in a final round, if there's another like that in there. Only not like that, becasue part of what was great about it was that I had never encountered another one like that before.

Macbeth

First Post
Thanks for the feedback!

Well, as for what risk I felt I was taking: I was moving beyond a simple story, ment primarily to entertain, into a story that was ment to communticate a moral, or a theme, or something. I was trying to stay away from the humor of my previous entry(s) and create a surreal feel to the story. I wasn't sure that I could do it, but it worked out, and I think it is probably the best stuff I've ever written for a Ceramic DM competition. Bacially my risk was writing in a style besides what I normally write, going for a feel that I rarely read. I find it easier to imitate a style that I read often, so doing soething more surreal was hard.

And my third round story. All of your criticisms are dead on. I've never been good about writing mystery, especially when I already know the answer. If I make it up as I go along, I'm more likely to keep the secrete, but then it's impossible to see it coming. If I plan it out ahead of time I make it too obvious what the suprise is. If I had another way of linking the pictures together, or another way to tell the story without the weak mystery element, I would have done it. In retrospect, I caught on to the suprise ending as my hook too early in the writing process, I think I could have told the same story without the suprise, and it could have been better.

I was hoping that by hinting at the mysterious ever-present glasses I could make the reader think they knew who the djinn was, then redirect them when the glasses truned out to be just, well... glasses. I knew it might be too easy to tell who the djinn, but I was hoping I could play on the reader's expectations.

And just a little insight into my thought process with this story: the "thread" I found in the pictures was the distortion. I liked the idea that the swimming man was warping reality, not just swimming. In my first mental draft, there were no djinn, there was a government experiment that gave a subject the power to warp reality to his subconscious desires. It would be told from a first person point of view, from the perspective of an agent sent out to track down this subject, who escaped. But, after he cpatured the subject, it would turn out he was the subject, that he had used his powers to create somebody to catch. I liked the idea, but I had no idea why it would happen, and I didn't like the feel of it. I tossed the idea around for a bit, then I happened to think about djinn (I have been reading Neil Gamien's American Gods recently, and even though the djinn interlude was a while back, it was still fresh in my mind), and the story as it turned out developed.

I wish that I had been able to find a metaphoric topic as I did in the second round, but no such luck. I liked my second round story better, and I think this round will be close.

Macbeth

First Post
Sialia said:
Yes--Macbeth's second rounder blew me away. I looooved that story. The third rounder was good, too, but did not surprise me as much, or take me somewhere I have never travelled gladly beyond as well.The second rounder was the sort of story that would do well in a final round, if there's another like that in there. Only not like that, becasue part of what was great about it was that I had never encountered another one like that before.
If I do get a shot at the final round, I'm going to try to pusch myself again, to not accept any idea that I feel I've already written.

And if I don't get a chance at the finals, I'll just push myself in the next Ceramic DM.

Zhaneel

First Post
Having now read both stories (was avoiding due to work and so I could work on my own beast) I have to say I prefer BSF's.

Again, I have the same complaint about the Djinn. I'm trying to figure out how you could have made it harder to figure out. Perhaps have the threesome say that someone would join him for the hunt so that the reader did not IMMEDIATELY think Djinn? Also, I wonder how the side guys could look intimidating with their backs to the main character.

As for BSF, I think it was a wonderfully rich world and interesting idea. I don't see the connection Sialia's stories, but then I'm not in Sialia's head. I was a little confused at the end. There were 3 wizards, and Dancing Bull took out one and then I thought dealt with the second to see Little Bird's bro as the third. Takes him out, and then we're left with another wizard who just lets him read the scroll? Umm... confused.

Zhaneel

Macbeth

First Post
Zhaneel said:
Having now read both stories (was avoiding due to work and so I could work on my own beast) I have to say I prefer BSF's.
I think I may prefer BSF's also... if I had to predict the outcome of the match, I would bet on BSF.

Oh, and you can look fairly intimidating with your back turned. Big enough muscles and the possibility of those muscles being used to beat you to a pulp is always intimidating, regardless of facing. Kind of like d20 combat, when you think about it .... ;)

Last edited:

orchid blossom

Explorer
I'll echo Zhaneel. I'd love to hear what anyone has to say about my entry. It's been awhile, I know, but I'd love to hear it.

Hopefully soon I'll have time to offer some insights on the recent stories.

Remove ads