• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insubstantial + Vulnerable?

Uruush

First Post
If a monster is Insubstantial and Vulnerable 5 Radiant and it is hit with, for example, a radiant attack like a 8 point Lance of Faith At-Will, how much damage does it take?

Half of 8 (4) + 5 for 9 damage?
Half of 13 (7) for 7 damage?

Something else? Thanks.

Uruush

First Post
Oop! I know about the rounding down but had a typo there.

So you add vulnerability damage then halve it... Thanks!

haran.banjo

First Post
Yeah, pretty much I think that you are right in your calculations.

I, however, house ruled that if a monster has a Vulnerability to Radiant damage AND is Insubstantial (like the Wraith you mentioned - I think it's a Wraith), if it gets struck by Radiant damage, he takes full damage (ie: no Insubstantial reduction).

This gives more flavor to "radiant" characters: if it's undead, I become a striker! - which my players appreciate particularly.

Runestar

First Post
I think you would add it in the manner which is most advantageous to the creature in question (ie: add damage, then halve everything). :)

abyssaldeath

First Post
Here is WotC answer. Ask Wizards: 11/10/2008
WotC Q&A said:
Q: What happens when damage is dealt to a creature with both insubstantial and vulnerability? For example, let’s say I deal 1 radiant damage to a specter (who has vulnerability 5 radiant). What happens?

A: You apply the vulnerability first, bringing the total up to 6 damage, then apply the insubstantial, cutting it by half for a final total of 3 damage. You would do the same with resistance, so a specter taking 12 necrotic damage first reduces it to 2, which then gets cut in half to 1 because it’s insubstantial.

chaotix42

First Post
I was doing it the other way (1/2 dmg + vulnerable = total), much to my player's delight. I predict several frowns in the future thanks to this thread. :devil:

Remove ads