• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intelligent Blademaster with Javelin?

DracoSuave

First Post
Probably because D&D, not being a competitive endevour for prizes that can go up to 5 digits, doesn't require the same level of templating and attention to detail that a card game does, nor is it as expedient to do so considering that there's more actual text to edit in a book than in 300 pieces of cardstock.

I don't expect rpg books to be perfect off the shelf.

Drudenfusz

First Post
I know people who show developers of card games (L5R) what they can do with their cards, sometimes the developers are surprised (but they don't change the mechanics to forbid it). So even card games are not always perfect, but I think if players find strange ways to use the rules without harming the game balance it should not get an errata (or Update as it is called now).

elecgraystone

First Post
So, while as written it javelins can be thrown with Intelligence, the -intent- is otherwise, and that it may or may not likely find itself updated.
Did any of us actually think it WAS intended to work in ranged combat? I didn't, however I was debating on how it was written. I've seem things working contrary to how they were intended for years with 3.5 and they either didn't care enough to change it (or didn't want to).

I hope that the game's developers see no harm in it at allow the use with the Javelin. But still I ask to myself why they haven't written Basic Melee Attack in the first place, if the intention was nothing else...
I wonder about this too. I'd have to go out of my way to word it the way the feat is worded. It's so much simpler to say 'use intelligence with basic melee attacks.' Normally when it's a mistake it's from lack of attention or not thinking it through. The wording is just odd.

Kordeth

First Post
I do indeed think it was intended. Otherwise they could have just written melee basic attack and it would be 100%. So why did they leave "melee" out and only wrote basic attack?

Because RPG designers are only human and sometimes word things in a manner that unintentionally creates ambiguity regarding their intent?

Beta

First Post
Using the logic applied in this thread, can a javelin when thrown be used by classes such as fighters/warlords/paladins with powers that say Melee weapon?

-edit Sorry for the necromancy. Didn't notice the thread was so old.

Kordeth

First Post
Using the logic applied in this thread, can a javelin when thrown be used by classes such as fighters/warlords/paladins with powers that say Melee weapon?

-edit Sorry for the necromancy. Didn't notice the thread was so old.

No, because a Melee attack power is a melee attack. You can't replace a melee attack with a ranged attack.

WalterKovacs

First Post
With the Druid, there are now basic melee attacks that do not use weapons (wild shape stuff).

A melee basic attack is not necessarily a melee basic attack using a melee weapon ... if they knew that kind of power would eventually come out considering they already had the ranged equivalent from the start ... they might have overthought the feat and went with a wording that requires you use a weapon ... but in doing so made it slightly ambiguous.

Herschel

Adventurer
Yes I don't use it as a melee weapon, but nevertheless it is still a melee weapon! And the Feat allows me to use it that way. What harm comes in not forbidding it? none. What happens if you allow it? Happy players, with one more option for their character.

Remember, 4th Edition is about fun!

How is cheating "fun" for anyone but the person doing it. Yes, that's essentially what you are doing by rules bending.

Remove ads