• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intelligent giant animals in 1E, specifically, the giant lynx

Clavis

First Post
Another possibility might be influence from Lovecraft. In "The Cats of Ulthar" and "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" cats are actually a highly intelligent race that can fly through space. Gygax always claimed Lovecraft as a major influence on D&D.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Giant intelligent otter full of omens and odd lore in Castle Zagyg Vol I: Yggsburgh.

Oddly enough, by a certain Gygax.

Just thought I'd mention it...I have no idea what sparked the idea of having a giant intelligent otter.

Bumbles

First Post
The Horseclans novels started coming out in 1975, and they feature giant intelligent cats with telepathy. Andre Norton's Horn Crown came out in 1981, which makes it a bit iffy as a potential source, but maybe there was one in another Witch World book that came beforehand.

Just thought I'd mention it...I have no idea what sparked the idea of having a giant intelligent otter.

This I assume.

gizmo33

First Post
I think it was an exceptionally lazy and formulaic method of designing monsters intended to flll pages when minds had otherwise blanked. Some of these combinations worked out (e.g., owlbear), but I personally think that a great many more of them were. . . well. . . dumb. I mean, there's a reason that the Giant Lynx isn't immediately associated with D&D.

The actual facts don't make this clear. First of all, the owlbear was a well-known result of Gygax statting up a plastic toy (along with the rust monster and bulette). It appears to me to be an example of Gygax needing a new monster for his game to throw something at the PCs, with an added plus of actually having a miniature to represent the thing.

The MM was full of monsters that had already been in the game. I don't really see the need for Gygax to have puffed it out with a bunch of monsters made up specifically for the book. I think it's possible that the Giant Lynx, Goat, etc. were part of some now forgotten encounter in their home game. A Giant Lynx isn't any "dumber" than anything else. It's a fantasy game - the game shouldn't be all dragons, should it? Besides, with a respectable font-size and spacing, there's much less harm done by a few duds in a book than there would be in a 4e style layout - where you'd have a "Gut-Stabber Goat" and a "Cloth-Chewer Goat" and recommended encounter templates for the giant goat, and so on.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Andre Norton's Horn Crown came out in 1981, which makes it a bit iffy as a potential source, but maybe there was one in another Witch World book that came beforehand.
She had intelligent, telepathic cats in several books that predated the Witch World series. (The first book of hers I ever read, Star Man's Son/ Daybreak 2250 AD, had one. Copyright 1952!)

Huw

First Post
Thanks for all the replies, though no consensus yet.

Another possible link: CS Lewis and Narnia. Don't remember lynxes, but MM 1e also has giant intelligent beavers IIRC.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The actual facts don't make this clear. First of all, the owlbear was a well-known result of Gygax statting up a plastic toy (along with the rust monster and bulette).

I knew about the bulette and the rust monster (I even owned those same cheap toys when I was a child). I have never heard that the owlbear was the result of Gygax statting up a toy, however. Assuming that it is, though, that's one instance of a Creature X + Creature Y monster being inspired by a toy. That doesn't explain the several other such creatures that weren't inspired by toys, nor does it address the large number of Giant Animal + Intellect monsters that appear throughout the various D&D monster manuals.

Remove ads