• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intelligent ooze

Belzbet

First Post
Im looking for an Intelligent ooze. I have found the Genus Loci in epic level handbook (it emulates INT). But, does anyone know of a ooze with an INT score? I am also looking for an INT vermin.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
You may need to have fun with templates!

Sentry Ooze template, from Dungeonscape p.114. Specifically grants an Ooze an INT of 2, as well as a number of other useful changes. The fluff text states that these are created to monitor dungeons as guards and cleaning debris.

Other fun templates that would grant INT scores:
-Half-Dragon MM1 p.146 (Because those guys breed with ANYTHING)
-Spellwarped MM3 p.162 (Applies to Vermin, not Oozes)
-Chimeric MM2 p.206 (Applies to Vermin, not Oozes)

the Jester

Legend
The only ooze I can think of off-hand that has an Int score straight out of the books in 3e is the summoning ooze, from the MM3.

EDIT: If you're open to homebrewed solutions, try my mustard jelly.

EDIT 2: Hmm, for whatever reason I can't attach the file to this post. Here's a cut-and-paste, and here is a link to the post with the pdf.

MUSTARD JELLY

Source:
2e Monstrous Manual. (Note: This is my primary source for the conversion, not the original source for the monster.)

A strain of ochre jelly altered in the lab by a mad wizard-alchemist, mustard jelly is usually smelt before it is seen. It gives of a strong odor quite similar to mustard, from which it gains its name. Those who get too close to a mustard jelly soon discover that its aroma is far more potent than they thought.

A Transformed Wizard? Some sages speculate that the original mustard jelly was not an altered ochre jelly, but rather a wizard who attempted to become a sort of ooze. Given the monster's strange ability to grow from force effects and its remarkable intelligence (for an ooze), it is clear that there is some kind of arcane origin for the things. According to this theory, every mustard jelly now alive is a partial remnant of the mad wizard and might even have inchoate memories left over from his life.

Mustard Jelly --- Level 11 Elite Brute
Large natural beast (blind, ooze) --- XP 1200
HP 256; Bloodied 128 Initiative +9
AC 23; Fortitude 27; Reflex 21; Will 23 Perception +9
Speed 5, climb 4 (spider climb) Tremorsense 10
Saving Throws +2; Action Points 1

TRAITS

Lethargic Vapors (poison) * Aura 4

Any creature that starts its turn in the aura takes 10 poison damage. Any creature that ends its turn in the aura is slowed until the end of its next turn.

Force Eater
If the mustard jelly takes force damage, it gains 10 temporary hit points.

Ooze
While squeezing, the ooze moves at full speed rather than half speed, it doesn't take the -5 penalty to attack rolls and it doesn't grant combat advantage for squeezing.

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Slam (acid) * At Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +16 vs. AC.
Hit: 1d6+9 damage plus 2d6 acid damage.

(close) Vile Splash (acid, poison) * Recharge when the mustard jelly uses divide or becomes bloodied
Attack: Close burst 2 (each creature in burst); +14 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 2d10+7 acid and poison damage and the target is blinded (save ends).
Miss: The target is blinded until the start of its next turn.

MINOR ACTIONS

Divide * At Will

Requirement: The mustard jelly may not already be divided.
Effect: The mustard jelly splits into two medium-sized oozes that share all the characteristics of the original except for size. Each of the divided jellies has half the original's hit points and temporary hit points and is considered bloodied at 75 hit points. This effect lasts until the end of the encounter, at which point the jellies recombine.
---
Str 23 Dex 18 Wis 18
Con 18 Int 10 Cha 10
Alignment unaligned Languages understands Common

Last edited:

Empirate

First Post
Monsters of Faerûn has the Ghaunadar, an intelligent ooze that takes vaguely humanoid form (and can even use equipment iirc). 3.0, but easily updated.

The Reason Stealer from MM2 can gain a semblance of intelligence by draining its victim of it, along with some of the victims skills and powers. Also 3.0.

the Jester

Legend
Monsters of Faerûn has the Ghaunadar, an intelligent ooze that takes vaguely humanoid form (and can even use equipment iirc). 3.0, but easily updated.

It's actually a shapechanger, not an ooze.

This was back when "shapechanger" was a type, not a subtype.

I don't know if Monsters of Faerun ever had an update, but I'd guess the ghaunadar would end up as an aberration. Just my guess, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads