• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intelligent Relic Item Creation

Gromnar

First Post
Hi Enwordlers!

I'm hoping I can get some help designing a relic item for one of my players, most likely intelligent (but I'm not 100%) on that.

We are in a slightly higher-powered game than standard. First, a little lore on the item at this point.

One of my PC's is a werecat of Sharess, specifically a chaos monk/Celebrant of Sharess. In a recent game, she fought and defeated a more powerful version Thah Rahalar detailed in Hate of the Cobra. Thah had the Hate of the Cobra with him, but I also gave him a Khopesh of the Loyal Minion (description half way down the page, from Arms and Equipment Guide), since it fit very thematically with the character and would be the basis of the Celebrant's "signature item" in the campaign to follow. Since she can change into hybrid werecat form, the sword can merge with one of her claw attacks. I've modified the statistics to have the weapon merge its enchantment bonuses, not just as if a magic fang were cast on the claw.

Thah has been defeated and the Celebrant took the blade (which she is not proficient with as a chaos monk/celebrant) and the book, trying to decide what to do with them. As soon as the fallen celestial was defeated, the snake and scorpion motif on the weapon changed to a more noble appearance showing a face of a lion/panther. When the character and her party investigated the item, they found the "face" of the cat kept looking at the Hate of the Cobra. The character could "feel" the weapon's hate for it and she used it to destroy the evil book. She then felt "satisfaction" from the sword.

That's where things stand at this point, as far as the player knows.

From the DM side of things, this is what I have so far.

- Thah had used his Khopesh of the Divine Minion to slay a Divine Minion of Bast back in Mulhorond. An element of that slain soul is still within the blade.
- When the celebrant picked it up, it was awakened and knows one of its faith holds it, and the weapon is turning itself into a divine relic (perhaps with the aid of Sharess herself)

I was very inspired by the lore in the Hate of the Cobra page of a divine minion and was even inspired more by this artwork. What I'd like the weapon to do is, with one of its relic powers, "summon" itself out of the blade, in effect creating the character in the artwork that holds the blade. The Cobra page details that someone can summon a 6th level divine minion with a summon monster V spell, and that's the basis for this idea. Essentially, when the character (and only the character) uses that relic power, the divine minion is summoned from within the blade to hold and use it for a short time. I'm also looking at putting a restriction on how many times this summon can be used. Not sure exactly what that should be...1/day, 1/week, etc. The divine minion would probably be a 6th level human barbarian/fighter from Mulhorond. Their personality is sort of a huntress, warrior of Bast, far more militant than regular Sharessans (which befits her divine minion status and focus on the Bast part of Sharess). The summon can use the blade, but should it be an intelligent blade, it looses the intelligent properties when being wielded by "itself" because the soul of the blade is no longer inside it.

To make the weapon useful to the characters as an actual weapon (since they can't use the summon feature all the time), I'm thinking of giving it the brutal surge property. When merged with the claw, and since the character is a very good charger/pouncer, it gives a new ability that assists them in a charge without adding to their already high damage output. Lore wise, I sort of attribute that to the soul within the weapon giving her its fighting prowess.

I'd like the weapon's relic abilities to scale as they advance, sort of like a legacy weapon but without legacy rules. Higher HD, more abilities, the summon levels as they advance.

So, where I'm stuck at this point is, I'm not sure if I should make this a full fleged intelligent weapon or not. Considering that in combat, a lot of the time the weapon will be merged with a claw, I don't like the idea of her literally "talk to the hand". That's just weird. Though I suppose I could get around that by having the cat's face of the blade be present on the back of her hand after it merges. Perhaps I should just have it at empathy instead. I was also toying with adding the "roaring" special weapon property in the BoED sometime later, since that fits thematically with the cat's face and the weapon itself. Or adding the proficient property or simply making her proficient with it at no cost.

So right now, I simply have this:

+1 Brutal Surge Khopesh of the Loyal Minion

When you wield this weapon, it functions as a +1 Brutal Surge Khopesh of the Loyal Minion if you are chaotic good, chaotic neutral or neutral good.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should build this relic? What HD the abilities should be present at? If intelligent, should it be able to speak? Would it need lesser intelligent item properties like in the SRD, or is that too much? The character will be taking their 11th level soon, and in this campaign, you get feats at every second level, so I see them naturally taking True Believer soon.

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated!

Dozen

First Post
Does anyone have any advice on how I should build this relic? What HD the abilities should be present at? If intelligent, should it be able to speak? Would it need lesser intelligent item properties like in the SRD, or is that too much?
Okay, let's go through this, one by one.

1. As you wish. You already have an idea, a good one at that. Though you did say 'how' - If that was what you meant, I'd point out the Pathfinder rules for intelligent item creation. Paizo be blessed, they did manage to craft a better, more open ruleset than the D&D version, this time at least.
2. Since the Divine Minion advances along with the party, the HD requirement shouldn't ever be higher than the party's average level. For safety, have the Divine Minion summoned as strong as the holder can handle, as if they cast the highest level Summon Monster spell they could if they had full spellcasting.
3. It already used Empathy in the campaign, I take it. Lest it grew a functional mouth and learned how to speak on the go, our opinion doesn't matter at this point. On a related topic, if the weapon has normal hearing, other characters should be able to talk to it, even if it can answer only the one holding it.
4. Go right ahead, give it some. The stronger a magic item is, the harder it is to control it, and measly lesser powers are birdcrap compared to the featstorm your players get. Not giving them solely due to balance issues would be like forbiding the Domain Wizard variant for the same reason. It does make the character more powerful, but wizards of any kind can break a campaign by sneezing at it. Nobody really cares.

Last edited:

Gromnar

First Post
It has used empathy so far, yes. It was necessary to nudge the character in the right direction in regard to destroying the book. I'm not sure if I want to give it speech/telepathy once the character takes the True Believer feat and awakens its real powers.

At this time I'm considering having the lion/cat's face on the blade be present on the back of her hand when its melded with her, but again, I don't want that to look silly. If I did do that, then it would make sense for the item to talk through the face. I'm trying to consider if empathy is better than speech/telepathy, and right now I'm stuck on that point.

Dozen

First Post
At this time I'm considering having the lion/cat's face on the blade be present on the back of her hand when its melded with her, but again, I don't want that to look silly. If I did do that, then it would make sense for the item to talk through the face. I'm trying to consider if empathy is better than speech/telepathy, and right now I'm stuck on that point.

Maybe have the face only mimic expressions. Regarding usefulness, speech is miles above and beyond empathy, though emphatic links are harder to block or detect. An item would certainly benefit from having both.

On the sidenote, if you refer to talking swords as silly, you do not know the meaning of the word. I will go ahead and assume I don't exactly either, but I could give you an idea if I told you about a campaign I'm involved in.

Last edited:

Gromnar

First Post
Sorry, when I meant silly, I didn't mean magic swords themselves, but rather talking to one's hand for a conversation.

I like empathy better than speech, but I'm not sure if having the minion only bring able to communicate through feeling while in the blade and fully when summoned makes sense, especially since empathy intelligent items don't have a dedicated power ability. What do you think?

Dozen

First Post
I like empathy better than speech, but I'm not sure if having the minion only bring able to communicate through feeling while in the blade and fully when summoned makes sense, especially since empathy intelligent items don't have a dedicated power ability. What do you think?

I like the flavor of the idea. I get excited just imagining the roleplay you can squeeze out of the situation!:D
I'd also like to point out you don't have to limit yourself with the strict rules form the DMG. You're free to create an item on your own, or at least use the more open guidelines from Pathfinder or other sources. It only makes sense that magic items are not always as simple as the ones you can roll for and tear out of a table, your players aren't going to bite your head off for originality.
Sorry, when I meant silly, I didn't mean magic swords themselves, but rather talking to one's hand for a conversation.
Still not even close.

Last edited:

Remove ads