• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intent-based alignment magic?

Triangleman27

First Post
If I choose to remove Alignment selections for characters, how troublesome would it be to have alignment-based magic effect creatures by their situational intentions? For example, a Protection from Evil spell would deter attacks from assassins or anyone with cruel intent regardless if they are priests of Pelor or city guardsman.

Undead and outsiders would be exceptions since they are given 'life' or come from places where abstract concepts (i.e. Good, Evil, et al) are much more tangible.

My rationale is that if a D&D setting would closely emulate the real world on a psycho-sociological level, you could have sanctimonious people who loudly (and obnoxiously) profess to be Lawful Good and even totally believe themselves to be Lawful Good; however, their actions, behaviors and rhetoric in select situations betray a malignant, hateful character and they would furiously deny (or rationalize) this when someone points it out.

Yeah. That last paragraph went on a tangent so I hope my point came across; I'm concocting a setting with a more believable approach to Alignment (starting by not even having anyone consciously select it) and I need the magic to accommodate this.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
What use is Protection from Good, Protection from Law, or Protection from Chaos, then? Only Protection from Evil would do any good against someone meaning you harm.

Detect Evil is going to be a pain when it goes off every time the guy next to you is insulted by the snooty Duke who's giving a speech, or when you're talking to the Duke and he intends to use you to solve his current problem for his own personal gain with no regard for the good of the city, making you think that he intends to double-cross you or something when really he's just being entirely selfish in his thinking.

What good is Holy Smite when the egocentric enemy just wants to escape with his life and is fighting without any real desire to harm you, just trying to avoid you slaying him first?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Arkhandus said:
What use is Protection from Good, Protection from Law, or Protection from Chaos, then? Only Protection from Evil would do any good against someone meaning you harm.
Only if their intent to harm you comes from evil intent.

Those guards who are shooting at you with crossbows? Upholders of the law, they are. They don't mean it personal-like.

The thief trying to hit the back side of your head with a sock full of sand? His intent is to steal from you, with a heart full of chaos and such. Again, it's not death, pain or harm he intends, it's just a plain robbery.

Arkhandus said:
What good is Holy Smite when the egocentric enemy just wants to escape with his life and is fighting without any real desire to harm you, just trying to avoid you slaying him first?
Sounds like you've already beaten the evil out of him, so sparing his life could be appropriate. Congratulations, you've just made the first decent argument for intent-based alignment, which up until now I thought was unworkable.

Cheers, -- N

Triangleman27

First Post
Nifft said:
Only if their intent to harm you comes from evil intent.

Those guards who are shooting at you with crossbows? Upholders of the law, they are. They don't mean it personal-like.

The thief trying to hit the back side of your head with a sock full of sand? His intent is to steal from you, with a heart full of chaos and such. Again, it's not death, pain or harm he intends, it's just a plain robbery.

Exactly what I meant :)
This would also make Sense Motive useful in combat situations.

Remove ads