• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Interaction guide for new players?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
For mysteries and intrigues and other secret-heavy adventures, here is the process I follow:

1) Take good notes.
2) Compare notes with the other players.
3) If you don't have enough information, come up with a plan to find out the information.
3a. ask nicely
3b. offer a bribe or favor-for-a-favor
3c. eavesdrop
3d. ask somebody else nicely
3e. LIE your damn head off
3f. sneak in and search around
3g. charm person
3h. flattery
3i. taunts
3j. detect thoughts
3k. drag somebody out back and threaten to break their fingers one at a time until they spill the beans <-- Do this one last because it usually causes more problems than it solves
3l. tell the DM that you give up and just need more hints

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Maybe folks have some additional links to videos, vlogs, or podcasts that show some actual play with good interaction?

Grimace59

First Post
Everything said above is great. I am assuming that, like me and my group when we started out years ago, you haven't found a good balance to the RP portions of the game. We as a group started getting better when we went separate ways in real life and started playing in other groups (now we can play online, YAY!) before coming back together. What we realized is we played the game one way, which was what all of us ever knew. But once we had been exposed to outside playing styles, we all added new elements to the game when we came back together; and then it 'clicked'.

SO...:
1.) I recommend going to youtube, and watching a few scenes from Matt Click's Provokers group (afistfulofdice). He is a great DM and he obviously, vastly enjoys the RP of the game more than anything else. His players are great as well. The first session is slow. As the players aren't terribly familiar in real life, and it is apparent. But the third session could be a 'How to RP in D&D' video. Also, Matt's game is just one good game of many. There are a plethora of other groups playing on Youtube, and I certainly think that 15-25 minutes of watching some of these games will show you ways to improve while playing.

2.) Another simple trick is to RP while describing what you are doing. If you don't feel comfortable talking to all of the important NPCS, simply state how your character reacts physically during these moments. The others in your group will pick up on this and soon start to follow your lead. "Gouthar is disgusted at the news another ship has been lost to the Kraken and throws his pack down in disgust" is a great way to RP without feeling awkward trying to pull off a gruff half-orc voice.

2 tips. I hope they help.

THe youtube idea is great for me, makes total sense watching how other who are more experienced play the game. Thanks, I'll check it out before out next game.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Interaction is easy - just pretend you're your character, and talk to the DM who is pretending to be the NPC!

Ham it up. Ask lots of questions. You'll probably get the info you need, or at least a clue to elsewhere. Don't stress about checks etc, the DM will sort those out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads