[Interest check] High fantasy Wushu...with a twist!

grufflehead

First Post
EDIT: Game rules and info here

OK, I've sponged off the GMs here long enough, so time to take my turn in the metaphorical barrel and offer up a game of my own. Now don't ask me where this brainwave sprang from - my usual source is eating cheese before bedtime but this seems to have emerged from an altogether different part of my 'creative' lobe.

Wushu is a free, very cinematic, pretty rules-lite rpg available here:

Wushu Open Rules

It probably wouldn't take much longer to read the rules than the rest of this post, it really is that short and sweet.

It's written very much with the 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' style of Wuxia adventure in mind. Lots of high action swordplay, mysticism and a healthy dose of gravity-defying nonsense. But I don't really see any reason why the principles couldn't be transferred to a more 'standard' high fantasy setting. It's also, IMO, extremely well suited to pbp due to its fast play style and task resolution. Having actually tried it (I'm playing a pbp on *gasp* another site...), I honestly think that a combat that might take a couple of weeks in something like 3.5 (allowing for about 10 rounds, most people posting every day) can be done in 2 days in Wushu. Therefore, much more time for story and plot!

To that end I went hunting for some more material and found a set of rules for 5 bucks on DriveThru which had modifications which expand on the basic rules to allow for a bit more structure and character development.

So here's the (potentially) wacky bit if anyone wants to get on board this particular crazy train. If I can get 4 players (and I think I've got 1 already) who are interested in a little experiment, I'd like to have a sort of 'open playtest' of some of these extra rules with a short adventure of mutual interest (one of the free short encounters from the WotC website would be ideal) so we can all get up to speed with it. If everyone is still on board, I can either run another adventure if the players just want a one-shot for a bit of fun OR launch into something with a bit more meat to it. And by meat (here it comes) I'm actually wondering if WotBS is doable.

Still reading? Got the coffee/beer/cola out of your nose or off your keyboard? Needless to say this is a bit like me saying 'tomorrow I'm going to get a book on woodworking, and once I've read that I'm going to build my own house'. I can't do it alone, and one of the things that I need from prospective players is a certain commitment to honour the spirit of the game. Posting frequency and other house-keeping we can sort out later, but I'll be upfront about it and say this is not a game for people who post 1 liners in pbp games. Partly because the actual mechanic relies on descriptive posting, and partly because I'd like this to be a group story where all the players are driving it on as much as me, I may ask for a demonstration to that end. Or maybe I'll get desperate and take anybody.

So, er, feel free to tell me I'm a loon, or grab a straightjacket and come on in ;)

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Seeding the Hat"

This sounds interesting - count me in! I've read the Wushu rules (it actually does take about 10 minutes), I think I'm up for some descriptive posting, and it'll be nice to spend 10 or 15 minutes putting together a character rather than the typical couple of hours.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Man I wish I had time to get in, let's see movies I have watched this past month:

Red Cliff
Battle of the Warlords
Seven Swords
Forbidden Kingdom (could I play the Monkey King??)
saw The Avatar preview when I went to see IronMan2

So you know I am all about some Kung Fu theater.

And the rules look alright, get dice for each descriptive ideal you put out there and I like you had to balance your pool. You just can't go and blow them all on attacking need to defend to so that adds some strategy.

And you want to try WotBS (your right crazy but awesomely crazy :p) and I am currently playing a 3.5 WotBS game. So I double disqualify myself as a player, but humble ask sensi if I might make some cameo action posts.

HM

grufflehead

First Post
(your right crazy but awesomely crazy :p)

You know, I don't think anyone has ever said that to me before - I'll take it as a compliment;) Sadly, it appears it might be just a little crazy for the good peeps here, going by the lack of nibbles so far.

If it goes ahead, then you can pop up whenever suits. If not, then at another point in time I'll run some good old Wuxia; from your recent viewing list it sounds like you'll be in your element. I'm thinking a cross between Hero, Armour of God and Mr Vampire!

WIS0

First Post
Talk about biting - I *registred* just for this! :p
So I'm an utter n00b here (and it was quite a bit since I last played pbp), but if that's alright with you, I'd be happy to play.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Sounds like fun to me.

The idea of WOTBS in this style is intriguing - I can see connections betweent the elemental themes of WOTBS with those of Everway, which shares its rules-lite approach to the Wushu mechanics ... yes... intriguing.

One question: Will you be adjudicating how many dice to roll from descriptions, or will you let the players assume how many their description is worth, with the power of veto if need be? The latter strikes me as faster for PbP.

Boddynock

First Post
Well I've only read the first couple of pages of the wushu rules but I have to say, I like what I've seen ... so count me in, too. :cool:

Songdragon

Explorer
I was going to reply to this yesterday, but did not get a chance. I too have read over the Wushu rules and they are very interesting. Not sure I could do it in a face to face game, but in a play by post (writing medium) would work really well. I am not at all familiar with War of the Burning Sky campaign setting, but I could always read up on the basics. If anyone has any advice where best to read up on it, I would be most grateful.

So in a few words, count me in.

Remove ads