Interest Check: Mage: the Awakening (Storytellerplus group wanted)

fireinthedust

Explorer
Errata: I'd prefer to start with Core and splatbooks before adding a level of "change what you've learned". Unless we're doing case-by-case. I'll look over the link, though, could be some informative stuff; I'm just so new on this rather complex setting, I don't want to get more mixed up.

Who's the Boss: I posted to Forum.rpg.net, and someone said they were interested (a couple players, too). Whoever it is, I just hope they're good, entertaining, and like GMing. I'm wrestling with my instinct to organize and suchnot (and failing, sure), though I'm happy to help a GM. I believe that, if I started a game, I'd have moderator status for that game as per the ENworld Kickstarter; never tried it out, though, or set that up (if I had to).

Who: I need Mages.

Vampires: I'm okay with a vampire in the cabal, or a werewolf (so long as the lycanthrope is more werewolf than "mystical werewolf stand-in for spellcaster cause the GM said I couldn't be a Mage"; that's my pet peeve of the old system, but I haven't read the new book that deeply). I like the Vampire revisions, especially that they kept it simple, and having a player Vamp doesn't bother me. How we'd adventure without them, while not shutting out that player, would be a good question. Maybe the cabal/party has a painted car like from Buffy, or else there's a very far-reaching network of tunnels and sewers under the city. The whole "shooting holes in the ceiling" to make a damaging sunlight beam is great stuff. Ann Rice meets True Blood meets Buffy? All over that.

Where: London *does* have the book London A-Z, which could be handy. We'd need someone who could bring it alive... heh, Neil Gaimen wanna ST this for us? I *don't* want to be in a make believe city. I get those for M&M and D&D. I want to try a game where the GM can post actual streets (or made up versions of real ones), or use actual landmarks, albeit changed by being in the nWoD. And hey, if I make it out there I can get a kick out of seeing the old haunts ;)

VeiledSpectre

First Post
Hello everyone. I am the person Fireinthedust mentioned put forward interest in running the game. I responded to the thread created at that other site and recently joined this site to respond here. I've never been here, or used this site before, so I am afraid I don't know any of you or how things work around here.

I am open to player's desires, though I will say I was under the impression that I was being recruited as a potential ST for a Mage: the Awakening game. Vampires, Werewolves etc might be a little difficult to bring in the fold, but if you think you have a really great idea and want to try something tricky, feel free to run it by me. If your character wasn't a mage though, they would need a really good reason to be in the campaign though. Sleepwalkers and Proximi would be easiest to justify.

I would very much like to run the God-Machine Chronicle's rules update. There will need to be amendments to the Mage character generation process. On the official white-wolf forums, freelancer and prolific Mage writer, DaveB had a thread made detailing how to get Mage up and running under the rules update. It can be found on the official White-Wolf Mage forums

It seems that the Modern-Day setting seems to be favored, with a slight interest expressed in London. I will forewarn the players that I am an unfortunate Yank and not only have I never been to London, but I also know diddly squat about the great city as well. Still, if London is what you want, then London, or an American's imaginary bastardization of the great city at least, is what you will get.

Some themes I think might be nice to explore in a Mage game:

1. Reality is not going to be enough for her now- Inception.

When you have the ability to reshape reality itself to your whim, that power is addictive. Make your morning coffee taste a little better. Make that red light green, always do well at the office/school. When
reality can be shaped as easily as dreams, why not make your dreams a reality?

2. "Price is not an object."
"
Perhaps not, but have you considered the -cost-?" - The Prestige

Hubris. Arrogance. Remaking the world in your own image. A little mana here, some time there... The world is your oyster... but at what cost?

So there are a few themes I think might be fun to explore but I'm sure there are others. Also deciding on some moods might be nice. Fireinthedust already linked the rpg.net thread. If we could merge to one place that would help cut down on my book-keeping... and I kinda spend more time there than here.

fireinthedust

Explorer
WD: Nice character! What path is he? And are his dots right? Looks like he needs more in his main (isn't it 7/5/3? and a bonus dot in each?), but I could be thinking OWoD. You said Mastigos?

fireinthedust

Explorer
2. "Price is not an object."
"
Perhaps not, but have you considered the -cost-?" - The Prestige

Aaaaand you had me at the Prestige.

If you are a Yank, and you've got knowledge of a good city, let's go there. London is someplace I've been, and it's got many layers of character, but I'd even be guessing at it. [video=youtube;LrObZ_HZZUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrObZ_HZZUc[/video]

I'm a Canuk, so no hating from me.

Jemal

Adventurer
Welcome to ENWorld, [MENTION=6747780]VeiledSpectre[/MENTION].

Canuck here too. I just suggested London b/c it's a big old city with lots of history, mystery, and hidden secrets, while simultaneously being technologically and culturally advanced.

As far as the vamp/mage thing, I just wanted to play a vampire b/c I haven't really been able to since NWoD came out... I've made several and played a few sessions, but the only games that have gone anywhere were the ones I was running, so for all I love the game, I still haven't really PLAYED it.

However, I haven't played mage at all. Hell, I don't even think I've fully made a mage (awakening) character before, and I've had the book since release day! So if Spectre's willing to GM but isn't completely comfortable with a vamp, I can mage it up. In fact his description of it with the prestige/inception quotes seems right up my alley.

VeiledSpectre

First Post
Jemal If you haven't ever gotten to see a mage game in action, I HIGHLY recommend that you head on over to RPG.net and read either DaveB's Broken Diamond MtA AP or, my personal favorite, the Soul Cage MtA AP also by DaveB.

I'd like to consolidate this game to one place and I'll probably end up staying where the interest is greater so in the interests of moving things along lets do a sound check. Who is still here and up for a Mage the Awakening game set in the modern day. Place to be determined. Some media I will probably be drawing ample inspiration from:

The Prestige
Inception
Pan's Labyrinth
Howl's Moving Castle
The Illusionist
The Matrix

Just to give you guys an idea of what I like to source my Mage worlds from.

VeiledSpectre

First Post
As of this posting, I posted the following in the other thread:

Currently, the following have confirmed interest for a modern day game:

FireInTheDust
KuroShinkirou
CowboyEnergy

Currently, the following have confirmed interest for a 1920's/30's game:

Raiu
KuroShinkirou

None of the players in the other thread have confirmed an interest either way yet, as of the posting of my sound check. Consider this game to still be in the recruitment phase, and that the modern setting is still slightly on the edge due to confirmed interest here, AND by musings in the other thread.

Spots may fill. If you are interested, please feel free to confirm. I will probably take up to and including 6 players. If anyone still around is interested, please confirm over the course of the next day/weekend.

Remove ads