• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Interesting role playing personalities

fagura

First Post
I am looking for a few interesting but also tough to role-play personalities. I want sth that requires actual thinking to role-play in every situation and maybe some acting skills.

A character with multiple-personalities might be such an example. Or someone somewhat mentally retarded but nevertheless able to survive by himself.

Any ideas?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mental illness or learning disabilities are very difficult to do properly - and by that, I mean that it is difficult to portray them as they actually happen in the real world. Most folks have grave misconceptions of what these things are actually like, because they have a lot of media thrusting misconceptions on them, with little real exposure to counteract it.

fagura

First Post
I agree. Nevertheless, as long as everyone at the table realizes that this is not how a real person would be and there are no real-life such issues among the players (which might create out-of-game awkward situations), it still might be interesting to role-play even though it is not 100% real-life accurate. It would certainly be tough as it would require quick, on the spot decisions in RP situations.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Honestly, I think the very best way to do what you're looking for is to select one primary personality trait (preferably negative), and do your best to play through that prism all the time. Even to your own detriment as a character. All your focus goes into playing that trait as strongly as you possibly can.

The game 7th Sea had this. All characters had either a positive arcana (called a Virtue), or a negative arcana (called a Hubris.) And players used that one arcana to color everything about their personality. It seems easy, but in truth, roleplaying a character where there is this overwhelming flaw (that you yourself do not have) that influences all your actions and interaction is rather difficult. You always have the urge to ignore the Hubris when it might cause a complication for you or the group... but when in truth your character wouldn't be able to ignore it because that's just the way they are.

Hubrises included:

Ambitious: You chase after power, even when its risky
Arrogant: You show contempt or disdain for someone else.
Cowardly: You avoid or escape from doing something dangerous.
Envious: You covet something belonging to someone else and should attempt to get it.
Greedy: You try to get as much money as possible when divvying up loot, getting a bribe, etc.
Hedonistic: You relax your guard and have a good time.
Hot-Headed: You fly off the handle and lose your temper.
Inattentive: You do not pay attention to your surroundings and lose focus.
Indecisive: You can't help but take your time in making decisions or taking action.
Judgmental: You jump to conclusions and form unsubstantiated opinions of someone you've just met.
Lecherous: You give in to temptation.
Loyal: You go back for a fallen comrade, or avoid leaving their side in the firstp lace.
Misfortunate: You always seem to have bad luck follow you around.
Overconfident: You don't have any doubts about your capabilities.
Overzealous: You strongly defend one of your opinions, no matter how inappropriate the time or place.
Proud: You refuse offers of aid.
Rash: You investigate something unusual, even if it looks dangerous.
Reckless: You ignore any feelings of worry or hesitation when confronted with danger.
Righteous: You don't have any doubts about the moral justifiability of your actions.
Star-crossed: You are shot with Cupid's arrow... again.
Stubborn: You are prevented from changing your mind.
Trusting: You lose any doubts about another person.

I think oftentimes when we create characters, we think up long lists of character traits, both positive and negative. "I'm this, and I'm this, and I'm this, and I'm this..." but what happens is that you end up not playing all your traits, or only play them part way and never that strongly. But when you focus on just one... and everything you do is in reference to it... you find ways to behave you never reached before, because you have to continually dig deeper to find ways it influences you.

That's my suggestion at any rate.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I find that addiction, when played straight, can cause substantial campaign conflict with a fraction of the homework necessary for a full-blown mental illness or developmental disorder.

Gambling addiction, in particular, directly interferes with so many important elements of fantasy RPG play that it can create a very interesting (and challenging) experience, and without the baggage of drug effect accuracy.

Halivar

First Post
In my sig I have a OSRIC henchmen generator that rolls on the 1e AD&D random personality tables. It gives totally out-of-whack, seemingly contradictory combinations, but I had my players roleplay out it out as best they could.

Most notable result:

Angelica Lionheart (teenage female paladin) - Chaste, zealous, unforgiving, compassionate, foolhardy, and interested in wine and spirits. The kensai she followed (our only female player) roleplayed her as a beautiful but brash bar brawler with a penchant for removing wandering hands (you know the saying: "if you your hand causes you to sin, cut it off"). Her impetuous nature required attonements on two separate occasions during our ToEE campaign. Still, I think the player had more fun roleplaying her hench-person that her own character.

Is this for a PC or an NPC?

If a PC, I would suggest the following. Instead of going for "tough to portray well", go with "exploring my beliefs". Make your character totally devoted to a particular belief or value, and select that belief because you know (from previous games) that it's likely to be tested a lot. Like "It's wrong to harm sentient beings" or "magic causes more problems than it solves". And then see what it takes to make you violate your principles.

fagura

First Post
Is this for a PC or an NPC?

If a PC, I would suggest the following. Instead of going for "tough to portray well", go with "exploring my beliefs". Make your character totally devoted to a particular belief or value, and select that belief because you know (from previous games) that it's likely to be tested a lot. Like "It's wrong to harm sentient beings" or "magic causes more problems than it solves". And then see what it takes to make you violate your principles.

Very nice tip! thx savage, it is indeed for a PC.
I like the traits suggestion too, but I don't think I will be satisfied with one.
I want to have as many opportunities as possible to role-play tough decisions. If my character is greedy for example, this might be nice to roleplay at the beginning of an adventure or when the party finds treasure, but what about the rest of the session? Maybe 3-4 traits can give you sth but it won't always be the case I fear.

Remove ads